Jambands.ca

Is Gosh the new Giv'er???

Del

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'll say this, Napolean Dynamite is one of those movies you have to watch over and over again. Everytime you watch it you notice new things and it gets funnier. Certain phrases get stuck in your head. And they're freakin funny. If you only watch the beginning, well, you're losing out. It doesn't really get funny until you "get" it, which for me and most others I know is somewhere in the 2nd half of the movie. Hence watching it again being funnier, cause you "get" it from the start.

for the first 45 minutes of that movie, i was like, this is stupid. Then i smoked a doob got comfy and it was really, really funny. Then I watched it again a few days later and I knew it would be a classic. i can totally see how people wouldn't like it though. And most of you GOSH! haters are using it in the wrong way. it's a phrase of exacerbation. like "why didn't you put your signal on? GOSH!! You're such such an IDIOT!" And you've got to say it the way Napolean does or you do end up sounding like you're in the 1st grade. But it's also a signal to other napolean fans. Just like how boo-urns (oh god how I HATE that) caught on. For me, I made the change because I was over using that's hot, I really didn't like using it to express negativity, so GOSH! is everything that's hot can't be.

Boo-urns sucked too... Boo was awesome, it still is... I believe it was show-whore (or walter sobchak or u.f. productions or whatever he calls himself now) that went crazy on the boo-urns... But at least boo-urns is a Simpsons reference, and The Simpsons will never go out of style... (ok, Don't have a cow man! and Eat my shorts! are pretty lame...). I think you nailed it with usage, Alexis. An occasional Gosh, used in context of it's original use in Napolean Dynamite, wouldn't be so bad. It's the over-usage of it on here (and, lately out at bars and at parties) that's really killing me... "Gosh, I'll be there!" or "That's wicked, gosh!" isn't funny. Sorry, but it's not. Any phrase that gets over-used gets tired pretty quickly. I was simply observing that Gosh happens to be the phrase of the day... And just as Giv'er got used to death, to the point where people were actually angry, I see Gosh ending up in the same boat. (And I still say Napolean Dynamite isn't that funny of a movie. That's just my opinion, but it really didn't do it for me...)

I'm with ya Del, its like that fu©king "it just needs more cowbell" I don't know what it is, but, when a trend comes out, no matter what it might be, I am immediately repulsed by it... There should be some sort of psychological test done on this subject, the automatic rejection of anything trendy! I mean, who really gives a sh!t if you here every second person make some fu©king gosh, or cowbell statement. Really, why get so fired up?? But, for me, and maybe for you too Del, I get immediately repulsed by these trendy sayings... I mean, I won't rent that damn Napoleon movie just out of principle now!!! hahaha... Ah shucks, I got to get some sleep!! ::

Oh, and as for Giv'er, I still love that saying, but, it has personal substance.. My best friend Crazy Joe, believes he is the originator of that catch phrase, he has it on his license plate for fu©k sakes... In his bizarro imagination he thinks its some sort of subliminal suggestion for the ladies... Oh, man, God Bless Crazy Joe!

wha happen?

thanks for the warning, but I think I'll go on not caring about people's bitching.

hahahahahaha.... and "yah, me too-oo"

She said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.

fu©k, that was purrrrrrrrfect, Booche. ::

Swifty. You shut it off before the dance scene? That's the stupidest thing anyone has ever done..ever.

i tried to tell him ahess, i tried to tell him... seriously swifty, watching the end of that movie gives it a whole new light. the first time i saw it, i saw ONLY the last 1/2 hr. of it, and that was enough to make me want to own it.

del, do you not have any siblings? pink is right on this one... a surefire way to open yourself up to a hardcore anihilation of GOSH! IDIOT! and other napoleanisms (especially incorrectly relayed ones) is to say they annoy you... GOSH! IDIOT! ;) there's nothing you can do about it. it isn't even just here. i was complaining just the other day about how napolean dynamite references are EVERYWHERE on the internet. there's about 5 or 6 messageboards i read frequently (the subject of each, light years away from the next), and napolean dynamite has pretty much taken over the world at this point. like number 2, as soon as something becomes really popular, it bugs me (often for no rational reason whatsoever). however i'm no longer bothered by this... because like the GIVE'R, the only thing you can do is embrace it and have your own fun with it... otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time being pissed off and getting wrinkles you don't need. you can't control what other people do. if i had my way, the words "dude", "man", "brah", "head", "heady", "the slip is awesome", "a'int", and many other things would never be uttered by anyone again. but i'm not going to complain about it... because i know that people are gonna do whatever they feel like doing, GOSH!!! especially if they know it bugs you. :)

and besides, napolean dynamite is pretty much the best movie ever made. reggaejunkiejew, fu©k you!

robitussin!

I really like Napolean Dynamite mainly because it reminded me of going to a small rural highschool. There were more than one Napolean Dynamite super nerds and plently of the cheerleader/jock types that were always running for school president. And that scene with the chicken farmer, i felt like i knew those guys. Because of my assiociation to all the characters, i thought it was a great movie.

Also for the record one of my favorite sayings of all time, which i saw on a bumper sticker once is fu©k you. you fu©king fu©k. now that's a clssic i can live with.

wha happen?

thanks for the warning, but I think I'll go on not caring about people's bitching.

hahahahahaha.... and "yah, me too-oo"

She said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.

fu©k, that was purrrrrrrrfect, Booche. ::

Swifty. You shut it off before the dance scene? That's the stupidest thing anyone has ever done..ever.

i tried to tell him ahess, i tried to tell him... seriously swifty, watching the end of that movie gives it a whole new light. the first time i saw it, i saw ONLY the last 1/2 hr. of it, and that was enough to make me want to own it.

del, do you not have any siblings? pink is right on this one... a surefire way to open yourself up to a hardcore anihilation of GOSH! IDIOT! and other napoleanisms (especially incorrectly relayed ones) is to say they annoy you... GOSH! IDIOT! ;) there's nothing you can do about it. it isn't even just here. i was complaining just the other day about how napolean dynamite references are EVERYWHERE on the internet. there's about 5 or 6 messageboards i read frequently (the subject of each, light years away from the next), and napolean dynamite has pretty much taken over the world at this point. like number 2, as soon as something becomes really popular, it bugs me (often for no rational reason whatsoever). however i'm no longer bothered by this... because like the GIVE'R, the only thing you can do is embrace it and have your own fun with it... otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time being pissed off and getting wrinkles you don't need. you can't control what other people do. if i had my way, the words "dude", "man", "brah", "head", "heady", "the slip is awesome", "a'int", and many other things would never be uttered by anyone again. but i'm not going to complain about it... because i know that people are gonna do whatever they feel like doing, GOSH!!! especially if they know it bugs you. :)

and besides, napolean dynamite is pretty much the best movie ever made. reggaejunkiejew, fu©k you!

robitussin!

Alright PP, Gosh and Cowbell really irritate the hell out of me, but if you start saying fu©king robitussin, we are no longer friends!!! ::