Jambands.ca

Is Gosh the new Giv'er???

Del

ahess, you really really really need to watch malibu's most wanted. or maybe you shouldn't. i dunno. i hate ebonics, but i love it when white people do it. freaking hilarious.

PP, I'm with you, except for the "slip is awesome" comment. Cause they ARE awesome, BAM are gods i'll worship anyday. and yes, del is an only. his automatic teasing defense systems are set on a very low level.

I liked ND not just for the awesome catch phrases, but because it defied my expectations. I'd always expect something completely different. Like, "this is going to suck" and then it was weird. then "this is weird and will suck" and it got better from there. I like things that turn out to be different than what I thought they'd be. it's a hidden gem, like pootie tang. DAMN!! that pootie tang, he don't need no words! he don't need no music!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated, it doesn't bother me that people are using it, it just bothers me that it's being used as much as it is, in as many situations as it is... I am an only child, but I'm an only child with a fairly warped sense of humour... Everyone keeps talking about the last half of the movie, like some epiphony was reached during it or something. I found the first bit of the movie to be somewhat funny, but after getting through that half hour or so, I found the story line to be next to non-existant, and that MTV was using the age-old trick of repetition of some stupid catch phrases to try and convey humour... (Ace Ventura, anyone? Alll-righty then!) Basically, it got old, fast. I still think Napolean Dynamite as a character showed some potential to be funny, but the movie itself was overall pretty boring. Why not latch on to his usage of Sweet!? The previews for the movie were certainly aimed at doing so. Almost every preview for Napolean Dynamite showed him saying Sweet! I guess Gosh bothers me more so because, well, it's the word gosh. I've poked fun at people who use all those pseudo swear words since I was in about Grade 5... Sugar instead of sh!t, etc... As for all the lot tour words that some people say bother them (brah, heady, kind, etc.), I guess you kind of had to be in the lots (specifically Phish lots, although I'm sure Dead tour had more than it's share, as well as WSP, etc.) to get the joke. For example, I would never call you, Palace Princess, brah... Why, because you probably wouldn't get it the way, say, The Sloth would. This thread was simply intended to make some people aware that not everyone on the planet finds Napolean Dynamite to be "the best movie in the world". In fact, some of us thought it was pretty bad... Sure, there were some good lines, but who cares? There were some good lines in pretty much every movie ever made. It doesn't mean that we should go around quoting those lines non-stop, until people are so sick of them they can't even watch the movie anymore, because they are so sick of those lines... I'm pretty much done with this thread. Come up to me, say your Gosh! Idiot! to me at the shows or whatever, then leave me alone. I was considering renting Napolean Dynamite again, but with the several hundred times I've heard the (apparently) funniest thing from it, I feel like I've watched it enough for my liking.

Oh, and by the way, The Slip are fantastic... I would have said awesome, but I know how that annoys people...

i have to say that not all things that are way over-hyped are inherently bad. the harry potter books are wonderful and i am already on the hold list at the library for the sixth one that comes out in july. some things are popular because they are mundane and base as far as intellect is concerned, such as popular teeny-bopper music. some things are popluar because they are actually good, such as harry potter or bob marley. for years i had an ongoing survey. i would ask people if they liked bob marley after gettting to know them a little bit, sure enough, the very few people who didn't (i'd say about one in ten) like him were the weirdos, and i don't mean that in a good way. popularity does not always equal crap.

oh yes, and some catch phrases that i particularly love are schnikes, krikes and a barrel of monkeys. now i have never used them all together in a sentence like that, but i have to admit, that looks like fun. now i will wait in quiet anticipation for a time to use that one! ::

As for all the lot tour words that some people say bother them (brah, heady, kind, etc.), I guess you kind of had to be in the lots (specifically Phish lots, although I'm sure Dead tour had more than it's share, as well as WSP, etc.) to get the joke. For example, I would never call you, Palace Princess, brah... Why, because you probably wouldn't get it the way, say, The Sloth would.

whoa, whoa, whoa.... what makes you automatically assume i wouldn't fully "get" that. so let me get this straight... you are basically saying that just because i shave my armpits, don't have dreadlocks, don't wear patchouli, my music tastes spread beyond the grateful dead and jambands in general, i very strongly dislike phish and i occasionally enjoy poking good natured fun at "hippies", that must mean i've never been to a dead show or on a lot? so if i looked and smelled and talked like a hippy, you would assume i would "get" those sort of things? for your information, oh heady one ;), i first got into the dead and the whold scene that goes along with it (including being "on tour", all over the continental us), when jerry was still alive... in fact my first show would have been the saturday after he died.... the summer after is when i went "on tour", when things were very much still in the fresh freakin' vibeage of those golden years everyone is always boohooing about being lost. much of which was spent "in the lots". this was literally YEARS before people right on this very board, ones you would deem bona fide 'heads', were even into the dead, let alone the scene that goes along with it. hell, i can even remember when shows were being traded on tapes. so don't assume that just because i didn't allow a liking for one band or exposure to one particular "scene" to define my entire existence, that i wouldn't "get" what you are talking about.

in fact my first show would have been the saturday after he died.... the summer after is when i went "on tour", when things were very much still in the fresh freakin' vibeage of those golden years everyone is always boohooing about being lost.

valid argument to be sure as heady 'lot talk' never dies and can otherwise be found on many school yards as well as on the concert lots (and kudos to your armpit shaving ways and callig Del 'oh Heady one' ::

but technically the golden years heads tend to boohoo about were actually before Brent passed away (1990)... the gate crashing, drunken college jock years that followed made me deeply sad and the first Further Fests were pretty clunky and awkward from where I was sitting... Dead tour nowadays is much closer to the golden years than it was in 96

Whoa. I'm an only child so let's keep it cool here.

I never saw the Grateful Dead. I got into them way later. I did see phish twice, and was in the "lot" twice so am I part of the in crowd now?

My favorite part of this thread is that it is so pointless. Oh, and 90% of what ahess says is pointless, but i guess 1 in 10 is a pretty good record.

I'm also an only child. Please pay attention to me. But not too much. I'll let you know when I've had enough.

I don't need anyone but myself.

Man, I could use a hug right now.

Gosh! those words work amazingly well with your avatar MarcO

you should come out to gosh'er with us this weekend my friend

oh no backbacon, you see, i am an oldskool hardcore raver myself, so i can use the fact that my first party was in '94, back in the days when you had to drive to a location to get a secret map to find out what abandoned warehouse the party was in and hope the cops didn't bust it, as reason to automatically assume i must be more educated in the ways of the world and speak in a condescending manner to others because OBVIOUSLY they must not know as much as me, since they don't wear phat pants.

oh, and as a hardcore oldskool raver i would also know that a true hardcore oldskool raver would:

- never refer to it as a "rave". it is a "party".

- would also never refer to an event by the name given to it (i.e. "vision", "being", whatever the name of the party on the flier is). you refer to it by the name of the dj playing. i.e. "the neil landstrum party"

- would never, ever, EVER call it "rave music". that is an immediate indication you are painfully "newskool", which is just not a good thing to be. a true raver knows the difference between house, techno, trance, jungle, drum n' bass, minimal techno, happy hardcore (which they only make fun of people for listening to, this type of music is exclusively reserved for the 'newskool' crowd), acid jazz, trip-hop, tekhouse, hardhouse, etc. house music is considered a lesser form of the art, and appreciation of it indicates "disco hippy" tendencies, so therefore you cannot be hardcore if house music is your thang.

- uses "phat" or other "ph" words/spellings in the sense of "pH" and has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'that band'.

- selects which parties they are going to go to based on the djs that are there, and actually goes to hear the specific music, not just do the drugs to whatever music is being offered

- is probably on enough chemicals to kill a regular person, but maintains a cool persona that does not indicate they are anything but sober

- knows how to dance. extremely well.

- knows the difference between newskool, oldskool and candy ravers, and mocks accordingly.

- shows disdain towards newcomers, and flexes superiority complex muscles wherever applicable

- doesn't give out candy, wear funfur, suck on a soother or go shirtless

- had to make or purchase most their clothing from friends who could sew, because it wasn't sold anywhere, other than maybe 2 eclectic shops in toronto. knew what geek boutique and snug is (and owned some of both), before it was available all over the place

- stopped wearing phat pants the moment they started being sold at wal-mart. while still attending specific parties, more conserative clothing is worn, as they use their dance abilities and knowledge of the music to casually display their true level of hardcore

- complains endlessly that things will never be the same now that plastikman is just plain old richie hawtin, and hopes plastikman will come back someday.

- remembers when even the thought of a party happening in a club was an absolutely ridiculous, impossible notion

- knows the dj(s) or the promoter. or both. is guest listed.

- really wants to go to germany. and knows why.

- considers detroit the most awesome place on earth.

- remembers E when it was $40 a pill. and one pill was enough to keep you in heaven for the entire night

- never shows up anywhere before 11pm

- hates glowsticks, whistles and air horns.

- considers geminis pathetic. it's 1200s or nothing at all.

- knows what love parade is

- remembers back in the day when people used to dress up in all sorts of crazy costumes. bitches continuously about how things will never be the same, and longs for it to be driven underground again

- quits raving completely when they look around and see 90% of the party is ginos, people who are there for the drugs, and when the newskoolers may as well be oldskool at this point, for the massive yards of coolness they are ahead of the most recent batch of newbs.

now isn't all of that ridiculously stupid????????????????

so is basing your worth, or judging another person based on how long they've been into a freakin' band, how much they look like a stereotypical fan of a band, or what a "scenester" they are. so is the ridiculous notion that the best things in music have already happened.

who the fu©k cares? get out there and gosh'er!!!!!!!!

this really is a pointless thread.

:D

i'm off to spread merriment in other places.

heehee

aaahhh becky, you're ggggrrreat!

i have now had dreads twice. whenever i have them ,all of a sudden i'm part of the scene and all sorts of people want to be my friend. they think i'm a huge head, have a nice van to tour in and have jerry tatooed on my tits. (very small cameos, i guess) i mean i had people, complete strangers walk up and try to kiss me several times at several different ctmfs. whenever i cut my dreads off and wear jeans and a t-shirt i no longer get harrassed by dillhole social climbers, which is wonderful. i also notice that many guys ignore me (the ones i don't know) and girls are way nicer to me, since i don't appear to be a threat to their hippie mama status. the things that people assume based on appearance are inane! personally, i will never put my dreads back in, it's not worth the hassle of all that bullsh!t. i would rather stay the benign little normal woman in the crowd dancing by myself and not have to put up with strong and misplaced opinions from other people.

just for the record, i have never been to a dead show and in fact have been to very few concerts in my entire life.