Jambands.ca

Is Gosh the new Giv'er???

Del

Gosh, I'm honored. These kinds words you bestow upon me are Sweet. it's awesome... It's incredible... Actually my bike is no sledgehammer, but it is custom built to emphasise my bike-bowling skills. I am going to visit Julia tonight, so I'll probably watch it again, too...

That one post by me gave me an idea. In grade 9 we had to write a story using only cliche's or whatever. We should have a contest to see who can come up with the best post using ONLY quotes from ND (And some connector words/phrases if necessary)... Anyone up for it? I need to watch the movie again. The bar has been set, now pole-vault over it...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's a liger. it's pretty much my favorite animal. it's a cross between a lion and a tiger, bred for it's skills and magic."

personally, i think this is a pretty crazy thread, but i also think that napoleon dynamite is freakin halarious. i'm introducing it to people here in nor-cal. people either love it or hate it. i personall think it's almost as good as a mighty wind. It's pretty much the best movie i've ever seen. me and marie spent one morning speaking in napoleon the entire morning while making potatoes baked in the ove with onions and garlic and olive oil ( mmmmm.....)

it was quite entertaining!.

pp i don't know you super well but i've partied with you a few times and i would have to say you have a "heady" personality, as long as heady means just being a really cool individual, just being yourself and letting everyone else do the same. you emit "heady vibes" all over the freaken' place.

i think the movie sucked bad.. i'll put it right up there with anchor man.

napoleon dynomite had some great characters and scenes but to say the movie was great. give your head a shake. just edit that movie into short clips and save yourself the hour and a half waiting for the dance routine at the end.

hey wavinginthewind your the the biggest ghosh giv'er wookie

on this board.

thank you bokonon, you rawk too. i would say the same about you for all of that. and well okay, maybe by your definition i might be slightly heady on the INSIDE. :: heehee. BUT, i absolutely do not in any way, shape or form claim to be "heady" as in "head" as in "deadhead", and i certainly don't consider myself better than anyone else, especially based on something so stupid as musical experiences. so fine then, wavin', you DICK :D haha, your signature is a lie.... well, unless you change "headdiest" to "brownest", and phish to "ween".

hahahahahahaha.

::

and thanks, i was wondering about those cds!

heehee, gator, your sass always brightens my day. ::

(and by the way, i like you too moose! :D gracias)

I know I said I was done with this thread, but I'd really like to clear up a couple things. Then I'm done, I promise... There's been a lot of mention on here about how I seem to be some elitist snob who looks down on everyone, particularly those that I assumed were not heady and had never seen a lot scene in their lives. This could not be further from the truth. There is a large majority of people on here that have seen a hell of a lot more shows than I have, not that that matters to me. My point about Sloth getting me saying "brah" more than say Palace Princess wasn't a slight on Palace Princess. Quite the opposite. Looking back I should have worded it differently, and for that I apologize. I should never assume that anyone has any amount of experience in one particular scene or another. Again, not that it ever mattered to me. It wasn't designed to show my superiority over other people. If there's one thing I hate, it's the "hierarchy" of the Phish scene in particular. The whole pre vs. post hiatus debate, for example really bothers me. Who cares if you only saw them post hiatus, be glad you got to see them... It gets worse than that, with the whole, "I saw them in 97", "Well, I saw them in 94" debates... Absolutely a crock of sh!t. Of course those of us who loved Phish wish we could go back and see as much of them as we could have... That's a moot point. Getting back to my comment. I say "brah" to my friends that I have been particularly schwilly with. People that I've gone on three day benders with, people who have seen me so messed up I didn't know my own name, etc. Esau, paisley, Sloth, Freeker, and 'Gator come to mind. I also say it to people who have told me their experiences on Phish and Dead tours, dealing with the large sub-culture that was the sketchy tour kids. Booche and POG come to mind immediately. I say it because when I say brah, I know they know what I'm making fun of. My comment regarding not saying it to Palace Princess was more due to the fact that we've never been schwilly together (although I'm sure she's seen me that way), and she had never shared her lot experiences with me. That's not to say she wouldn't "get it". If you've seen A Head's Tale, you've seen Wook 17 and would obviously get it. Never mind the usage it gets on this message board and at shows and parties. I guess what I'm getting at is that it wasn't an assumption of lack of experience (although I totally see how that could have been interpreted that way), but more an assumption that she wouldn't see the humour that the people mentioned above would. Not that she might not find it funny. Esau in particular hates the word. I remember partying at a campsite one afternoon with Esau, paisley, number 2 and Zephyr, and almost getting in a fight with Esau due to my constant badgering of him with the word "brah" (see the GD CD compilation thread for more details). It's clearly not a word that everyone likes. I still think an appropriately placed "brah" at 4am makes for a good laugh, and yes, I think I use it too much. I think my comment was more of a reaction to people's almost militant attitude about "Gosh", while coming down on "brah". Again, I apologize for typing something that was interpreted as elitist, when I should have posted something a little more explanitory. I like "brah", probably as much or more than the recent "Gosh" phenomenon. If it would help, I'll start using it with everyone on the board. But much like the majority of "Gosh" users on this board, I won't stop saying it. Sorry to those who were offended. As for the "rave" comments made by Palace Princess, I tip my hat to you. Brilliant. But even there, since you've been partying since '94, you should know that these stereotypes do exist. I'm not saying I agree with them, but they're there. It is stupid, but they're true, to a point. I stopped partying because the scene went to sh!t, regardless of how I felt about the music. I still listen to Gabber (which I felt was sorely lacking from your list, but that's another point), but I haven't been to a party in years. In otherwords, even though I couldn't care less about the party scene's hierarchy, it still affected my association with that scene. And I guess that was point in general. I don't say "brah" to you because you're not in my immediate "brah" accepting world. You wouldn't come up to me and start a conversation up about Ween, because you know I don't care for them. Again, looking back, I really should have worded things differently. I'm sorry for what seemed like insulting you, and I take back what I said earlier. Now can we get back to what this thread is really all about? How much Napolean Dynamite sucks? :P Just kidding. Cheers. (I hope we're all cool now, I'd hate to think something like this would be cause to not be cool when we all see each other)

no worries, maaaa-aaaan. fighting on the internet is not fighting in real life. :D apology/misundertanding/clarification accepted. we's coo, yo. ::

i'd actually elaborate on some of the things you are saying above, in both agreement, disagreement, and further dissection.... however i'm too tired today, i think it would be much more fun to head over to the "brahnaroo" thread & make fun of all the wooks there.

heeheehee, KIDDING, KIDDING, KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big giant hippy hugs to everyone. ::

twirl.gif

(although no word of a lie, i seriously want a t-shirt that says "brahnaroo" in the same bonaroo logo, if anyone wants to photoshop one for me. :))

heehee

"Wow, a two page discussion on Give'er and gosh. Either way I find Ebonics way more annoying than either of those two... Ebonics to me sounds like lazy english.

Any anthropologists in the house want to enlighten me?" - ahess

"No I can't even be bothered." - Megs

I know how she feels... but here goes anyways... I kinda feel it's my duty if you actually want to know what's up.

Codes may be neccesary to negotiate certian boundaries. This is evident in the human use of language to denote cultural in and out groups. The issue is of a code denoting a space, in this case Ebonics denoting "Black" space in response/resistance to popular (White) hegemony. The language of Ebonics is used to distinguish between those who are a code-talking part of the "Black" culture that decides the rules of the language or a part of another North American (sub-)cultural category.

The concept of Ebonics as lazy english is centred on the assumption of certain characteristics of "Black" culture in North America. This language of resistance is often met with counter-resistance in the form of exagerated fear of cultural collapse or dissappearance and the culture-clash serves to perpetuate the distinction between "Black" and "White" or Popular culture.

"Black like the planet that they fear...

Why they scared?" - Mos Def