Jambands.ca

Favorite Singer/Songwriters??

SolarGarlic

There certainly have been some great ones...Dylan obviously comese to mind and so do a few others. Just wondering what some of you favorites are (not who you think is necessarily the best), as a fad in your own listening habits or someone you just keep coming back to. They can be young, old, doesn't matter...Well?

I'll toss one up to get started:

Nick Drake. A fellow that had a short and seemingly depressed life, musically and in general. I find his tunes to be great for chillin' and readin' to.

Neil Young, he is an incredible lyricist, some of his songs are so moving that they just break my heart, while others are so kick -ass that they just punch you in the face. I can't say that I have ever had a negative Neil Young listening experience, there are not many artists I can say that about.

Guest Low Roller

To add to Nick Drake and Neil Young I'm gonna have to say Jim James (My Morning Jacket) and the dude from Iron and Wine. Both are extremely haunting when performing acoustic music.

I will always stand behind Elvis Costello as *the best* PERIOD. Lyrically I haven't seen his equal, as a singer he's far and away the best male voice around, the music he writes is always top-notch, diverse, and high-calibre, his live shows are still awesome, and he's not afraid to put out risky material (see North)... No-one will ever top him in my mind.

AD

I haven't seen her for a while, but I was blown away by Anne McCue. Great voice, deep, mesmerizing songs, and she's a really good guitar player to boot.

I also like Sarah Harmer's music a lot.

Does Keller Williams count as a singer/songwriter? I had his "Laugh" CD on last night (in honour of FreekerByTheSpeaker's birthday), and was reminded of just how good he is.

Aloha,

Brad

Clearly, there is abundant love for the likes of Neil Young, Dylan, etc and rightfully so. Here's a few that I think are just amazing, rock solid bodies of work that y'all should check out if you haven't already!

Sunday_20.jpg

Bruce Cockburn

RichardThompson0303.jpg

Richard Thompson

tweedy-ryan.jpg

Jeff Tweedy (Uncle Tupelo, Wilco)

ent_williams_lucinda.jpg

Lucinda Williams

also, let's have a shout out for:

Joni Mitchell

Bruce Springsteen

Elvis Costello

Nick Drake

Tom Waits

James Taylor

John Hiatt

SONGS ARE GOOD!

arlo guthrie

mark wilson

neil young

alfie smith

sean cotton

jamie oakes

bob marley

most of these are local types because that's what i've seen the most of and that's the kind of event i'm more in to than huge venues.

edit to add: van morrison, the more i hear, the more i like, talk about a flexible guy, way to traverse the genres!

Neil Young, he is an incredible lyricist, some of his songs are so moving that they just break my heart, while others are so kick -ass that they just punch you in the face. I can't say that I have ever had a negative Neil Young listening experience, there are not many artists I can say that about.

That deserved repeating....beautiful.

As for local artists, gotta love the Local Legend:

37-Doug4a.jpg

Doug Feaver

Everybody that knows me know that my two favorite are Neil Young and Bob Dylan.

Here's some other favorites of mine that I don't think have been added to this list yet?

Robbie Robertson (the Band/solo)

Lennon and McCartney (together or apart)

Beck

Alex Chilton and/or Chris Bell (Big Star/solo)

David Bowie

Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby, Chris Hillman, Michael Clark (the original Byrds)

Gram Parsons, Clarence White and Gene Parsons (later Byrds)

Leonard Cohen

Willie Dixon

Pete Droge

Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit (Eagles)

Steve Earle

Peter Gabriel

Ben Harper

Bruce Hornsby

Son House

Mark Olson & Gary Louris (The Jayhawks)

Elton John

Robert Johnson

Randy Newman

Robert Plant

Jay Farrar (Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt and solo)

Paul Simon

Elliot Smith

Patti Smith

Ian Tyson

Muddy Waters

Stevie Wonder

Victoria Williams

I don't think all of those have been posted here yet?