Jambands.ca

U2's 2005 Tour is launched Monday!

TimmyB

Thanks MarcO, but I think I'll wait until those 30 North American dates in the fall are announced.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. January 24, 2005, 11:00 AM ET

U2 Announces Tour Plans Through August

As exclusively revealed here Friday, U2 will kick off its 2005 Vertigo tour March 28 in San Diego. Sixteen North American dates are on tap so far for the first leg of the tour, which will wrap May 26 in Boston. Tickets for some shows begin going on sale Saturday (Jan. 29), but paid subscribers to U2's Web site can take advantage of an exclusive pre-sale beginning tomorrow.

The band has also confirmed 24 European summer dates, beginning June 10 in Brussels and concluding Aug. 14 in Lisbon. Although a routing has not yet been confirmed, U2 will return to North America for another 30-date leg in the fall.

As on the 2001 Elevation tour, the arena floor will be general admission for about 1,700-1,800 seats, depending on the building. And, like Elevation, the tour will feature unique production elements.

"This tour will be not unlike the last production in that the lowest priced tickets will be on the floor," says U2 manager Paul McGuinness. "The best seats are the cheapest, and we want people to get excited." He adds that details on distribution of floor tickets will be forthcoming. "Some will be on sale, some will be radio contest winners," he says.

go see them in Norway.

That's in Ireland, isn't it? I mean, depending on who you ask...

WTF says that's in Ireland? I'd like to ask them so I can have a good laugh.

BTW I've never seen fans so upset about this first leg tour announcement that U2 just made on their official website!

People are so mad that their are no dates in their area that they are calling for blood since they all paid $40 US to do the pre-sale. Ah, this society has no patience anymore. U2 even said that this is only the first leg and more dates would be announced, but that's not good enough for these people. I'm being thoroughly entertained to be sure.

going for dinner at my dad's generally involves being subjected to whatever concert dvds of the moment he is currently enamoured with. (which MUST be played at stadium level sound with "hear that surround sound -- listen! isn't that great? just like you're there!" commentary, and an eye blinding view in front of his precious jumbotron). this is usually my cue to start devising a plan to get outta there before "oh no wait, you can't go yet, you have to see this song!" (hey, i love concert dvds as much as the next person, but there's only so much i can take before i get restless). well, lo and behold, one day he throws on the u2 dvd (i think it was their most recent tour?), and all of a sudden *i'm* the one shouting "no, dad! we have to hear this song next! c'mon, there's lots of time for (whatever concert was next up), we gotta just listen to this one before you switch it!". i was absolutely amazed. a lot of the shows you see with bands that have been around as long as u2 has (or longer) is your basic stage setup, a few crowd pleasing songs, and maybe a few "hey, i might be old now, but i can still dance a little!" moves. oh, and of course, some "HELL-O TOR-ON-TOE!" banter to the crowd. u2's show however, was absolutely freakin' incredible. in addition to an all around mind-blowing performance, there was an absolute feast of candy for the eyes in all there was to look at in the show, genuine interaction with the crowd (including pulling some girl up on stage and laying down & snuggling with her while singing a song), and hell, the stage itself was the craziest thing i've ever seen, a huge heart shaped track framed in lights, which bono ran around throughout the whole thing. there was no "we're old & rich & you can just love that we're standing here" vibe to it, more of a "yup, we've got a ton of cash & we're gonna use to show you motherfuckers what a show is all about" kinda thing. i've never been a dieheard u2 fan, and about 30 seconds into the first song i saw, i was not only wishing i was there, but absolutely kicking myself for somehow having missed out on an opportunity to see this performance live. if all the particulars work out, i will *totally* go to see them on this tour.

and you know, for all the mocking and bitching about their movtives u2 is subject to, they still get some respect from me. they have been going non-stop for what, the last 15 years, continually re-inventing themselves, and always managing to have at least one song from each album genuinely popular. granted, i haven't liked one bit i've heard yet from their latest album :: HOWEVER there are enough songs i do like by u2, that i'm sure i would still enjoy the show. now let's just hope they come close, cheap and on a night i can make it. ::

the u2 show at Ohio Stadium back when they were touring with 'POP' was probably THE best show I've ever seen. Of course I sat front row center and shook Bono's hand mid-song, but hey... Anyhow, I am probably NOT going to attend any of the Vertigo stops, because of the $$$, which, lets not forget IS what the music's all about... Maybe if I come across some cheap tix I'd go, and I might go downtown (Cleveland) and try to pick some up for like 10 bucks after the show starts.

Whoever doesn't like Lemon (The song) be glad you were't at any shows on the POP tour. They had a Gigantic disco-ball shaped like a lemon (and If I remeber correctly it opened up and either BONO or the whole band were inside of it. I'd love to have seen your face!!!

U2 is awesome, but 165 bucks is WAAAAAYYYY to much money to see ANY band, I don't care who they are...