Jambands.ca

What was your first ever tape?

CyberHippie

Mine was Michael Jackson's Thriller...

Who knew he'd become the 'man' he is today...

I played it so much and broke the tape in my player. Somehow my dad fixed it, he was a genius. Not too long after that when Jacko wasn't cool anymore I remember listening to the tape while throwing darts at a poster of him. Then I destoryed the tape for good.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

tape... Hmm... I remember having a bunch of adventure stories on tape when I was young. I remember having Asterix et la Serpe d'Or, Alvin and The Chipmunks, and Father Abraham visits Smurfland. I always borrowed my sister's tapes, but the first tape that I can call my own was Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue. It's still a wicked album.

My first CD was the soundtrack to The Crow.

Mine was Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual, I begged my Mom to shave the side of my head for weeks so I could look like her. I was like 6 or something, I used to watch the videos on the chumfm top 30 countdown all the time. Around the same time I got the Thriller album as well, but the video for that song used to scare me so much that every time I heard the song I would cry.

I got KISS - Destroyer for my 6th b-day. All the kids in my neighbourhood were about 6 or 7 years older than I was and they all thought KISS was the bomb.

Tapes - My first tapes (that weren't taped from my own vinyl and apart from the Raffi Sings etc.) were The Specials, "What Is..." The English Beat, Madness, and The Alarm - Declaration.

There was a pretty heavy brit influence in the fam... I had a pretty cool friend of the family who took me to see the Clash at the Ottawa Civic Centre when I was ten.

First ones I bought myself were Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and the audio from Star Wars, I bought them the same day at Zellers.

Those were 8-track though, does that count?

As technology moved on I bought Billy Joel Glass Houses on lp, and though I forget my first cassette it might have been Blizzard of Ozz, which I played until it would play no more.

Randy Rhoads blew my mind.

stood up in church one day and sang we're not gonna take it when it was time to sing the hymns. my catholic dad divorced my heathen mom shortly thereafter.

ahahahahahahahahaha..... thanks bokonon, you just made my entire day. ::

when i was a kid & severely bored in church, i would imagine what would happen if michael jackson suddenly burst through the doors and started doing a whole singing & dancing routine down the aisle (c/w with backup dancers of course), to spice up the mass. my favourite part of this fantasy was imagining the expressions of shock & horror on the faces of the churchgoers.

i stood up in church one day and sang we're not gonna take it when it was time to sing the hymns. my catholic dad divorced my heathen mom shortly thereafter. :D

Funny enough, that was the song that I convinced the bar mitzvah "orchestra" to play when I came out to make my speech at my bar mitzvah party in 1984. Twisted Sister rules!!! ;)

First tape ever: "Power Play" by K-Tel. (Available on television.) It was a 1980 compilation featuring Steve Forbert, Toto, Cheap Trick, The Romantics, Journey, and Jefferson Starship. (Pretty lame... :P)

Before that, though, I distinctly recall my first "single" being a copy of "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots.