Jambands.ca

What was your first ever tape?

CyberHippie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first tape that I went out and bought was Def Leppard's hysteria...i think i traded that away for faith no more...

my first CD was the rolling stones' steel wheels tour album.

as for my first tapes though? it'd have to be the Beastie Boys, licenced to ill, with Marrs' pump up the volume a close second...

First vinyl purchased with my own money:

The Big Surf Sound (K-Tel compilation of surf music..I think I was 6)

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

First tape ever given to me: Olivia Newton-John (Physical) (I was remember being absolutely amazed that my dad picked it out what was "in" at the time..then he revealed that he'd asked the store clerk..I was so proud of him..I think I was 8 or 9..)

First tape ever purchased with my own money: Joan Jett -I Love Rock n Roll

Damn, I'm old.

I remember having a whole slew of Beach Boys 8-tracks. My Dad went through a big Brian Wilson/solo John Lennon phase too, so I got down to a lot of that stuff. I remember him sitting on the basement floor listening to "Watching the Wheels" for ages. That, and "Some Guys Have All the Luck". I forgot about Rod. :)

I think my first tape was one of the classic rock mixes called the SOLID GOLD COLLECTION!!! Does anyone else remember getting these at the gas station when they were kids? :: I was crazy about Jerry Lee Lewis!!!

When I progressed beyond gas station R&R I was really big into AC/DC, Twisted Sister and the like. My big bro liked the heavy stuff and I thought he was the coolest. Other than his hand-me-downs, Public Enemy was a big hit. :o Ha! 2 Live Crew is also ringing a bell. Way better than NKOTB! Oh my, how embarrassing.

I think my first tape was one of the classic rock mixes called the SOLID GOLD COLLECTION!!! Does anyone else remember getting these at the gas station when they were kids? :: I was crazy about Jerry Lee Lewis!!!

i just went and checked my parents tape rack.

they have #'s 11, 13 and 14 in pretty much mint condition.

fu©kin right! these are going straight to my car. :)

my first tapes were:

lionel richie - dancin' on the ceiling

beverly hills cop - soundtrack

it takes a nation of millions to hold us back - public enemy

...all CRO2 for sure. ;)

my first cd was a jungle compilation from my sister,

quickly followed by plastikman - sheet one.

yes, it took me a while to catch on to cd's.

fu©k, i dont even have a dvd player yet.

AC/DC - Who made who? & Back in Black

It ws my parents and I stole it.

I was given a Bryan Adams tape when I was 7 or 8... I threw it out a car window and got in trouble. :)

I listened to Run DMC, the Fat Boys and the Beasties lots'round gr. 4 or 5, and I had a Maestro Fresh Wes tape that I wore right out by the time I was in gr. 7. From there Digital Underground(Sex Packets), 2 Live Crew (Nasty as we Wanna be) and BLACK SHEEP, baby!!!!! Wore out the Black Sheep by gr. 9. :)

1st CD was a christmas gift in gr. 10... Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. ::

Guess it explains a lot... especially the 2 live... ::

i just went and checked my parents tape rack.

they have #'s 11, 13 and 14 in pretty much mint condition.

fu©kin right! these are going straight to my car. :)

Ha ha ha!!! That's awesome. I'm so glad other people have these tapes as well. I'm going to check at my folks' house next time I'm there and try to highjack some Solid Gold. ::

I'm a little relieved to see that someone else was also into PE's Takes A Nation of Millions. Fear of a Black Planet was also on regularly. I only mention this again b/c I caught a glimpse of The Surreal Life on Much last week. Flava Flav is just too much man! I was truly sad to see that he's ditched his trademark giant clock necklace. Ha ha ha! ::

KTEL-The comp that had turning japanese(album)

If I remember correctly, Super Freak, that would have been "Full Tilt" perhaps?

(I can't believe I remember the names of these lame K-Tel compilations more than 2 decades later. I think it's time to free up some brain memory space...)