Jambands.ca

Whats the most Meaningful song to you and why?

Gr8FuL

three little birds: bob marley. always helps me feel more positive when things are sh!tty. this song got me through some very sh!tty times.

anything by dire straits and pink floyd-reminds me of the first house my mom bought on her own.

thank-you: blood, sweat and tears , reminds me of when ricky and i first got together and were totally, retardedly lovey dovey.

george washington :D:o:D reminds me of driving my friend don's convertible firefly one fine october morning after a really fun party at bandwhore's house in london. and giving people the finger with a flourescent green cast on my arm, that's just plain funny.

Probably Comfortably Numb... with "You Learn" by Alanis and "Green Fields" by David Francey coming 2nd and 3rd.

Comfortably Numb just reminds me of the past, growing up, past girlfriends, etc. You Learn is just all about life. You live, you learn, you cry, you learn... etc. Green Fields, nobody here knows it, but if you heard the lyrics, you'd understand.

I really concur with Ripple being a song to bring forth a sense of 'honest emotions'. it's slways been a high-ranked fav Dead tune for sure.

But in terms of music that really takes me out of my current palce in the physical world and deposits me elsewhere has to be Roger Waters' album Radio Koas. dave and I were in Cairo, Egypt during the eruption of the first gulf war (good god that's so vile to even consider --'first' gulf war!!) Anyway, we were looking to settle there for a few months and were apartment hunting, riding around on public transit, listening to the album, overly-frequently perhaps b/c all our tapes had been stolen earlier in Portugal. Anyway, as the war escalated, the city began to clear out of tourists and tensions rose. We were hanging out with some local freaks we'd met [who, incidentally, had seen the Dead (or more accurately the spectacle of the Dead and their fans) at the pyramids when they were children -- a side tangent there] who were keeping us well-spliffed and convinced, that in Cairo, we were not in harm's way. Within a few days, all toursit sites had been closed down though and tensions kept rising. Radio Kaos, for those who don't know is (partly) about the dropping of the big bomb.

OOPS, I'M DRINKING RED WINE, AND HIT THE WRONG BUTTON THERE

To finish, the album puts me right back in Egypt, and more precisely at the pyramids, because after the pyramids were officially closed, our Egyption friends took us there, approaching, not from the town/road, but from the desert side in a big old hummer. We had the site to ourselves!!! We wandered at our leisure without any other tourists or hawkers. It was awesome and creepy and post-apocalyptic all at the same time. 2 days later we caught the very last plane out of the country before they shut the airport down!

"Shallow"? I doubt it

But "chills" can be good; nice to know I can narrate & create "chills".

This whole thread is an interesting one to consider: about how songs/albums get intrinsically bonded to feelings/memories -- like poor Kaidy Mae and her sad (hilarious) story about the intricately bound-up worlds of Wilco and dog-fcuking! ("breaking in an album" thread)

Standing on the Moon

I was touring around when I was 17 or so and found myself on the glorious Hawaiian islands for a time with my best friend. It was beautiful. The weather was nice. We had a suite pad to stay at, a car at our disposal. Bottles of VO were a mere $7 (hell ya), we made friends with a parrot owner on the north shore who hooked us up with some island treats, we went to luaus, shopped in the market, met hot Belgian waiters, etc. It should've been so perfect.

But the whole time...I was miserable. Absolutely miserable. I was in one of the most incredible places in the world, with no money worries and not a care in the world...but finding it so hard to smile. I was so homesick for everyone. I guess it was the first time I had been away from everyone I love for an extended period. I just remember sitting in our room at Christmas listening to the albums I had brought and not fully understanding what in the hell was wrong with me. Just then, Jerry's vocals interrupted my thoughts with astounding clarity...

"...Ohhhhhhh a lovely view of heaven, but I'd rather be with you..."

It was then that I realized that it doesn't matter where you are, or what you have, as long as you are with the people who can make you smile.

Standing on the Moon

I was touring around when I was 17 or so and found myself on the glorious Hawaiian islands for a time with my best friend. It was beautiful. The weather was nice. We had a suite pad to stay at, a car at our disposal. Bottles of VO were a mere $7 (hell ya), we made friends with a parrot owner on the north shore who hooked us up with some island treats, we went to luaus, shopped in the market, met hot Belgian waiters, etc. It should've been so perfect.

But the whole time...I was miserable. Absolutely miserable. I was in one of the most incredible places in the world, with no money worries and not a care in the world...but finding it so hard to smile. I was so homesick for everyone. I guess it was the first time I had been away from everyone I love for an extended period. I just remember sitting in our room at Christmas listening to the albums I had brought and not fully understanding what in the hell was wrong with me. Just then, Jerry's vocals interrupted my thoughts with astounding clarity...

"...Ohhhhhhh a lovely view of heaven, but I'd rather be with you..."

It was then that I realized that it doesn't matter where you are, or what you have, as long as you are with the people who can make you smile.

Sweet...