Jambands.ca

2005 The Winnipeg Folk Fest - The Gourds!!

Esau

I couldn't find any listing at http://www.winnipegfolkfestival.com , but I did at Pollstar.

Winnipeg Folk Festival July 7-10 2005

Thu 07/07/05 Al Simmons

Fri 07/08/05 Al Simmons

Fri 07/08/05 Camper Van Beethoven

Fri 07/08/05 Connie Kaldor

Fri 07/08/05 Cracker

Fri 07/08/05 David Lowery

Fri 07/08/05 Handsome Family

Fri 07/08/05 Jackie Greene

Fri 07/08/05 The Be Good Tanyas

Fri 07/08/05 Willy Porter

Sat 07/09/05 Al Simmons

Sat 07/09/05 Campbell Brothers

Sat 07/09/05 Camper Van Beethoven

Sat 07/09/05 Connie Kaldor

Sat 07/09/05 Cracker

Sat 07/09/05 David Lowery

Sat 07/09/05 Handsome Family

Sat 07/09/05 Jackie Greene

Sat 07/09/05 Lila Downs

Sat 07/09/05 Odetta

Sat 07/09/05 Ramblin' Jack Elliott

Sat 07/09/05 Steve Forbert

Sat 07/09/05 The Be Good Tanyas

Sat 07/09/05 The Gourds

Sat 07/09/05 Willy Porter

Sun 07/10/05 Al Simmons

Sun 07/10/05 Campbell Brothers

Sun 07/10/05 Connie Kaldor

Sun 07/10/05 Jackie Greene

Sun 07/10/05 Lila Downs

Sun 07/10/05 Odetta

Sun 07/10/05 Steve Forbert

Sun 07/10/05 The Be Good Tanyas

Sun 07/10/05 The Gourds

Sun 07/10/05 Willy Porter

Sun 07/10/05 Xavier Rudd

Winnipeg Folk Festival 2005 - Pollstar Listing

Ok,well it may only be myself here that is right pumped up about this one but I figured I'd throw it out there for any other people that maybe interested.

Attending this festival will be my primary goal...The fu©kin Gourds outdoors.pretty sweet that The Be Good Tanya's are playing before em each night,I dig those gals and what they do also.

And they are playing Bonnaroo too.

question... cracker and david lowery... isnt the main guy from cracker dave lowry? is this just a weird coincidence, or is he doin a solo set, too? or maybe i've got the name wrong... it's been a long time since i really paid much attention to cracker... also, does the winnipeg folk fest usually have many of the same acts playing multiple days? i dont really have an opinion on that, but you dont really see that many acts playing more than once in the same fest too often...

anyways, esau, i dig the gourds a bunch, too... the one show i saw at the horseshoe was great, i guess almost 2 years ago now? i remember i was on crutches and couldnt really get down, but it was a blast nonetheless.

anyways, esau, i dig the gourds a bunch, too... the one show i saw at the horseshoe was great, i guess almost 2 years ago now? i remember i was on crutches and couldnt really get down, but it was a blast nonetheless.

Right on,I was hoping to cross paths with someone who was at that show,they played the Horseshoe 2003-03-30.How was the turn out at that show?

Also,I have a generous collection (25-30 shows) of Gourds if your ever interested.

Winnipeg is a great town to visit and I've always heard really good things about the festival... right on Esau

Yeah I agree,I've been there a few times,once for this festival,twice for hockey when I was a teenager other times passing through onto the west,its alright to visit,not sure I'd want to live there or anything...maybe alot more north would work for me.

Being born and raised here i sorta like bragging about winnipeg. Like the Simpsons stated when they came to winnipeg to buy perscription drugs, our welcome signs states: "Welcome to Winnipeg - we were born here, what's your excuse?' ----> classic!

But yeah, we have over 10,000 lakes here and nobody living here, so you can imagine how many pristine lakes you can swim in here (when it gets warm). These are also only 1 to 5 hours away - i do suggest visiting the Whiteshell provincial park, it borders Ontario and features lots of fresh water lakes carved into the rocks that make the canadian shield. Love it there, spend every minute i have there when im not home.

As for the folkfest, its most likely the craziest festival around. Last year it had some really bad press cause of some assholes that invaded the campgrounds, but generally this will be on of the best experiences you've had. 4,000+ campers in a field, drums and music all night and they even had a dj tent last year - go folkies! I missed it last year, i was playing the montreal jazzfest (which is also amazing), but you wont be deissapointed if you go.

And hell, if living/moving here kicks ass. Rent is cheap, beer is cheaper, weed even cheaper then beer and we have some of the best bands in Canada - like the Weakerthans, The Waking Eyes, the Duhks, the Peanuts and Corn Crew, Moses Mayes (hehehe), Wailin Jenny's, Propagandi, the hummers, mood ruff, bacteria buffet records, the blue meanies - lets just say we have a overload of great music here.

anyway, hope that helps - go Jets!

grant

www.mosesmayes.com

yeah, 3.30.03 sounds just about right... close to a month after i had my surgery.. wicked.. i remember they turned a neil tune into a kickass bluegrass number, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was... would you know where i could find a setlist for that show? i remember the turnout being pretty good... not super packed, but not a weak turnout either.. room to stand, room to move... but yeah, good show for sure..

i'd love to get my hands on some gourds shows, man, we'll have to talk trade soon...

and hey, for what its worth, i had a 45 minute stop in Winnipeg once upon a time... i spent it at a place called The Toad (?), right across from the viarail station... i had a couple guinness then got back on the train.... looked nice enough... and i've met some gorgeous women from winnipeg, too... sounds like that place has it all!

question... cracker and david lowery... isnt the main guy from cracker dave lowry? is this just a weird coincidence, or is he doin a solo set, too? or maybe i've got the name wrong... it's been a long time since i really paid much attention to cracker... also, does the winnipeg folk fest usually have many of the same acts playing multiple days? i dont really have an opinion on that, but you dont really see that many acts playing more than once in the same fest too often...

Hey Guigs, Same guy.. I think Lowry is also the main force behind Camper Van beetoven..

yeah, 3.30.03 sounds just about right... close to a month after i had my surgery.. wicked.. i remember they turned a neil tune into a kickass bluegrass number, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was... would you know where i could find a setlist for that show? i remember the turnout being pretty good... not super packed, but not a weak turnout either.. room to stand, room to move... but yeah, good show for sure..

i'd love to get my hands on some gourds shows, man, we'll have to talk trade soon...

Heres the setlist:

The Gourds

The Horseshoe tavern

Toronto,Ontario

2003-03-30

Foggy Blossom

LGO

Maria

Roll and Tumble

Losin' End (Neil Young)

Blankets

Hellhounds

My Name is Jorge

Ants on the Melon

El Paso

Best of Me

Rugged Roses

Dooley

Grievin' and Smokin'

Ham-Fisted Box of Gloves

Up On High

Plaid Coat

Dying on the Pines

Encore:

Oh, Sister (Bob Dylan)

?????

Gin and Juice (Snoop)

and heres a link to my Gourds list...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/Esau?listid=6

I have never listened to the Gourds before, but as of late I've seen that a lot of people talk about this band.

Esau, after seeing people like you talk about them so much and the fact that they are going to be at bonnaroo this year, so I decided to look more into this band.

So I checked out their official website www.thegourds.com only to find out that Max Johnston is in the band! Max Johnston is a great multi-intrumentalist who plays dobro, fiddle, mandolin and banjo and he was in both Uncle Tupelo Wilco.

I saw Wilco for the first time in 1997 but at that point Max had left the band and Bob Egan (who is now in Blue Rodeo) took his place.

I have never seen Max perform live and now I think I'll be putting more of an effort to go and see the Gourds at bonnaroo since I've found out that Max is in the band.

Thanks Esau.

Yep.Max is in there.Although,you'd probally really enjoy Kevin Russell's "Junker" alot too if you like the Gourds.

The Gourds have quickly become my favourite band (aside from Dylan & Fat Cats).

Be sure to check out these sites too...

http://www.gourds.org/ (Official Unofficial site)-out fo date sorta-

and this new one,Mike Barnz (Gourds archivist) started this site with more up to date info,torrents,mp3 etc.

http://www.casa-huevos-negros.com/

Also there is two shows that you can stream on nugs.net.

http://web1.nugs.net/stash.asp?cmd=shows&artist=41

I just listened to "Lower 48" the opening track on their newest album "Blood of the Ram" on their official website and I am blown away!

I've listened to the song six or seven times in a row. And I very rarely do something like that!

The song reminds me of one of my favorite Los Lobos songs "One Time One Night." If this song is any indication of how good this band is, than they will soon become one of my favorite bands as well.

I can't wait to go and pick up the Gourds on CD.

Thats what I'm taking about,I'm not surprised you would like it Tim,I figured you'd be one of the folks to "get it",right on.

"Lower 48" is awesome,actually the whole album is. (Blood of the ram) The again,I have yet to hear a Gourds song or a cover they do I didnt like (thats a rare thing for me really).

A few great examples of great covers are:

No Diggity (yep,the very same)

Oh Sister

Lowrider

Swingin'

Say that you love me

Not to mention the originals,to name a couple:

Steeple Full of swallows

Cracklins

Weaponized Virus Musket

Ants on the melon

I could go on & on about this band,I listen to them daily & I also end up re-playing certian songs over again,trust me this band is highly addictive.

If you find a place up here selling their discs please let me know (although I havent tried Toronto)I was in talks with someone with the Gourds about getting a deal on buys the complete discography,shirt,hat,stickers etc for a real deal but haven't heard back from them recenltly.I have befriended a coupe folks with the Gourds (Mike Barnz-archivist) so I have a steady flow of live shows coming in if you ever want to check one out,I'd reccommend the "Best of The Boots" series (2002 & 2003 - 2004 upcoming) '02 & 03 combined total 123 different songs,awesome collections.

I've never heard the Gourds except for that damned cover version of "Gin & Juice" which everyone and his/her mother downloaded off of Napster, mislabeled as a Phish song. I don't know how many times I've explained this to the uninformed! hehe. But besides that, I'd like to hear some more of them..

I'm excited to see The Be Good Tanyas will be touring again! By the time I caught on to them, they'd already stopped touring, the one was preggo and another had the Po Girl gig underway.

esau can you find me the names of songs off those bootlegs shows you gave me. i stil cant get enough of the one disc with the rolling stones covers ,some jethro tull action. and that one long song about mad mic magee or something???

anyways the festival looks great and i think i'd even have a few swigs of rye if igot to see the gourds play. i can't see miranda leting me go since the baby is due around the same time. maybe next year with the new family:)

Hey gator,

I PM'd you the text file.(BoB 2002)

You really should get a copy of BoB 2003,within the next month BoB 2004 will be out.

Rye & the Gourds sounds like a lethal combo for me,although the power the Gourds have to lift my spirits,perhaps the "bad side" of rye & Esau wouldn't happen....

..actually on second thought,theres no need to take a chance like that...beer,'shrooms & Gourds it is.