Jambands.ca

Top 50 earners in music for 2004 from rs: Contest

TimmyB

That's funny, the only top 50 act I saw was Prince, and while I'm glad I didn't pay for the ticket, I still think it was a great show... Lots of good old sh!t, and a pretty good stage show. I never would have suspected that you would have picked him...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, the only top 50 act I saw was Prince, and while I'm glad I didn't pay for the ticket, I still think it was a great show... Lots of good old sh!t, and a pretty good stage show. I never would have suspected that you would have picked him...

Since I'm still awake I'll answer the Prince question now.

To me it was a good show that could have been one of the greatest shows that I ever saw, but since it wasn't I won't say it was anything more then a good show. And here's my reasons why.

Firstly, without a question Prince is one of the greatest guitarists on the rock we call earth. Yet through a nearly three hour concert, to my memory, I only remember him perform an extended solo two, maybe three times.

I don't expect Prince to be like Warren Haynes or Trey Anastasio, but come on three solos in three hours?

As I was wishing Prince would play more guitar throughout the concert, instead I got the second thing I didn't like about the concert...

Secondly, I hate, I repeat, I HATE when an artist (in this case the artist) ruins a song by screaming to the crowd. Like "I can't hear you!" or "Come on you can do better than that!" or "Let me hear you (insert the name of the the city in which they are performing, in this case Toronto)!"

You know what just play the damn song, if you are playing a great show then we'll let you know, don't tell me to scream or clap or enjoy you more than I am. That's fascist.

Also Prince would often just scream in some higher octave that usually only girls can hit. But when he screamed, it wasn't apart of the song, it was to induce the crowd to scream back. Prince just wanted more cheering to make up of over a decade of being in the wilderness when it comes to being a popular artist. Which leads me to the final thing I didn't like about the concert...

Thirdly, what an arrogant little prick. I have never attended a show that said 7:30PM on the ticket at an arena or amphitheatre size venue that made me wait well over an hour to start the show.

Then as we're waiting for the Prince concert, guess what music is playing in the monitors? That's right Prince is getting us excited with his own music, unbelievable right? Well it doesn't end there. While we're listening to Prince, waiting for Prince on the video screens is, you guessed it a photo montage of non other than Prince!

What tops of his arrogance was the point in the show when he comes out on stage solo with a the rolling stone magazine that featured him on the cover in 2004! Then he sits for what felt like an eternity waiting until the crowd cheers loud enough for him to continue.

Not to mention lines from the man himself like "You have to be a Prince before you're crowned a King!" WTF?

That being said did I enjoy parts of the show, sure did, "Purple Rain" to close the show was one of the best closers I've ever witnessed and there were other moments as well. Am I glad I saw Prince do "Purple Rain" and countless other hits of his for the last time, yes.

Would I pay to see Prince again? I really don't think so? I remember watching the Prince DVD "Live at the Alladin Las Vegas" where there was a way smaller production with a lot more guitar playing and less BS, if it was that formate than maybe I'd say yes. But who knows if I ever get that opportunity to see Prince in that size of a venue again after how successful this tour was?

"I can't hear you Toronto!" Shut up and play your guitar.