Jambands.ca

Springsteen Stares Down 'Devils' On New Album

TimmyB

Five Bruce Springsteen songs that everybody should be able to name:

1. BLINDED BY THE LIGHT

On Bruce Springsteen's debut album "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J." in 1973. Also released as a single by Manfred Mann in 1976 reaches number 1 on the charts in 1977. Remember this is the song where most people sing the chorus wrong.

The chorus went:

And she was blinded by the light

Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night

Blinded by the light

She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

2. THUNDER ROAD

3. BORN TO RUN

Both songs appear on Bruce Springteen's third album "Born To Run" in 1975. If you don't know these songs or this album go out and get it now, it will change your life forever.

4. BECAUSE THE NIGHT

The song written in 1977(or 1978) with Patti Smith does not appear on a Bruce Springsteen album until his live effort of 1986 "Live 1975-1985." Smith's version of the song went on to hit #5 in the UK and #13 in the US in 1978.

5. BORN IN THE U.S.A.

Title track from the album of the same name released in 1984. You all know it.

This isn't a list of my top 5 favorite Bruce Springsteen songs (Only "Thunder Road" would make that list) these are just the songs I'm assuming that if you haven't been living under a rock and have been walking around the free world over the last couple of decades you must have come across these songs at some point somewhere.

Honestly if you don't have one or all of the 6 albums by Springsteen leading up to "Born in the U.S.A." you have no idea what you're missing.

The same goes if you have never seen the Boss live on stage at least once with the E Street Band.

i'd go see the boss! fu©kin' right!!

probably a cougar trap though...

and, i'm with Rob (not Bob), Highway Patrolman is a good song.

almost brings a tear to my eye. :)

now, that pretty much covers my knowledge of bruce.

but i learned something... he wrote blinded by the light eh?

crazy, what a douche. ha.

I was wondering when I posted about "Blinded by the Light" how many people wouldn't have known that the boss wrote the song?

Thanks for letting me know that questcequecest.

Interstingly enough this was today is the annivesary of Manfred Mann hitting number one with the Bruce Springsteen song.

from www.billboard.com

On Friday February 18, 2005 THIS DAY IN MUSIC

1977 - No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: "Blinded by the Light," Manfred Mann's Earth Band. The song is written by Bruce Springsteen and first appears on the New Jersey rocker's album "Greetings from Asbury Park."

I do like Springsteen's original Blinded By The Light, my apathy came later, like Del... became too big of a production for me, kinda Tina Turner-ish

(isn't Clarence Clemons actually 'The Boss' but people started calling Bruce that because they figured it would be the leader of the band's nickname?)

(isn't Clarence Clemons actually 'The Boss' but people started calling Bruce that because they figured it would be the leader of the band's nickname?)

Bruce was always "The Boss" and Clarence is "The Big Man" (as heard in "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" and numerous live intros by Bruce. At least in everything I've ever read or heard on the subject.

- M.

late...as usual...for me, Springsteen's album "The River" was one of the few sources of rock & roll comfort in the 80's. I loved it (still do). Because of his overriding sense of rock history (and his own place in it), there has always been a side to Springsteen's work that has tended to the theatrical. IMO when this side is allowed to dominate, the work as del points out can sometimes seem forced or manipulated. But when he transcends the hype and sh!t and just pumps it out from the gut as he once could, the guy IMO is just incredible. In fact, his last show in Ottawa (Apr.18/03) was among the strongest performances I've seen him deliver in recent memory. I too look forward to seeing what develops this time around.