Jambands.ca

Question o' the Day - May 12

scottieking

well hello everybody. Scottieking here to hijack the QOTD for the day. Given I have recently stumbled upon a large block of free time to deal with I was wondering if the Skanks had any creative suggestions on how to fill it. Could be anything books, music (to download or play), projects, movies, you name it. I've got a pretty good idea what this week looks like but I'm a little hesitant as to my sanity in the weeks to fill ahead. So I suppose the acutal question is

What sorts of awesome things have you been filling your free time with lately (in an effort to better fill mine)?

Toodles,

scottieking

P.S. is it really May 12th?

Scottie - if you're a Neil Young fan, you *must* read through Jimmy McDonough's "Shakey" biography.

Now's a good time to put pencil to paper and start writing the next Scottie King cd.

Or, you could always start downloading and b&p'ing me all of the available 1972 Grateful Dead shows, if you like. [big Grin]

Hey Scottie,

The life of pi author is Yann Martel.

Do you have the "further network" - download tons of shows, there is a nice legion of mary 75' on nugs.net....do you have any herb???

If you are needing any books, I work for Indigo and always have a shitload of reading copies kicking around...let me know and I will hve a few mailed out to you...I have a copy of life of pi sitting right in my office so send me your addy and its yours.

I have been reading a book called "The DaVinci Code" that is totally awesome.

It sounds like you have a great opportunity to catalogue your live shows as well...ind of a painful task but one that is always rewarding.

Well thats all for now... [big Grin][big Grin]

Scottie,

something I've been meaning to do for awhile is organize pictures, go through old photos put 'em in albums and stuff? that can kill a lot of time.

"Stone Alone" by Bill Wyman, GREAT book on the Stones and early 60's England.

If you're looking for some books, instead of paying through the ass at Chapters or wherever, hit a Value Village and grab some used books, you can get some good stuff, cheap!

If you are politically minded, try reading

Age and Guile Beat Innocence and a Bad Haircut - 25 Years of PJ O'Rourke.

Wicked articles covering the past 25 years that he has written.

And i quote:

"We're told cars are dangerous. It's safer to drive through South Central Los Angeles than to walk there. We're told cars are wasteful. Wasteful of what? Oil did a lot of good sitting in the ground for millions of years. We're told cars should be replaced with mass transportation. But it's hard to reach the drive-through window at McDonald's from a speeding train. And we're told cars cause pollution. A hundred years ago city streets were ankle deep in horse excrement. What kind of pollution do you want?"

Either that or Pulling your goalie.

Oh ya, one more idea, making covers for my show collection seems to take forever. Try that.

I have been painting a lot as of late. I'll get an idea and start a picture and before I know it, five hours have passed. The bonus to this activity is that it's not only creative and fun, but you have something to show for it at the end. The pictures make great gifts as well. [big Grin]

I also "waste" quite a bit of time on the internet finding inspiration, ideas and methods for my next painting.

Acrylics are a cheap way to get started. You can paint on pretty much any kind of paper or surface. Plus they can look chunky like oil paint or thin like water colours. Lots of options.

Scottie, you could also lock your keys in the car, and then try to get them out with a coat-hanger. You can kill hours on end, then you try to beat your personal best, switch to a different car/lock style...the possibilities are endless, and you'll be picking up some skills that could always come in handy. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

Scottie, you could also lock your keys in the car, and then try to get them out with a coat-hanger. You can kill hours on end, then you try to beat your personal best, switch to a different car/lock style...the possibilities are endless, and you'll be picking up some skills that could always come in handy.
[big Grin]

...especially when partying with Dr. Huxtable...

Aloha,

Brad

If you're looking for stuff to read check out John Steinbeck, Jack Kerouc, John Irving, Tom Robbins, or Elmore Leonard. Plenty of good stuff there and most of it is light and pretty easy to get into.

Organizing photos is a huge joba nd always seems to take me forever because I look through the pics and then think to call people in the photos and chat or find albums and organize by year or vacation or whatever.

Making CD covers is a good idea, or learning something new on the computer if you're into that. Figure out how to doanload torrent files or get into hosting an FTP site or something.

Colin

Hey Scottie, good to seeya up and at 'em! [big Grin]

If you're a Michael Moore fan (or if you aren't yet but want to be) I'd highly recommend picking up the the DVDs for his television series The Awful Truth. Jeff from Uncle Seth just lent me the first season. Anti-corporte and general anti-stupid stunts that'll make you laugh and cry at the same time.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Plant a garden! A great excuse to play in the dirt, and helps plants to grow (the kind of plants you choose to grow is up to you.....)

Lots of fun and uplifting for one's soul.

Or you cold paint my kitchen for me, since you have free time and all [big Grin]

Hey Scottie -

I'm sure you've already read "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller (if you haven't, then go get that first), but I just finished his "Portrait of the Artist, As an Old Man" which was also excellent.

Also, posting pictures of monkeys having sex to Sanctuary is a good way to kill time, too.

Glad you're feeling good,

Brian.

Archived