Jambands.ca

Canada Marks 'Greatest' Jazz Concert 50 Years

Tooly

quote:

They billed themselves simply as The Quintet. The performance on May 15, 1953, would become known as possibly the greatest jazz concert of all time.

Dizzy Gillespie working his trumpet. Charlie "Bird" Parker on the saxophone. Max Roach on drums. Charles Mingus on bass and Bud Powell on the piano.

full article

parker was playing a plastic sax lol

quote:

Fifty years later, Massey Hall will commemorate the event by assembling another quintet of celebrated jazz musicians to recreate the historic concert in the same venue.

This time, Herbie Hancock will be on piano, Roy Haynes on drums, Roy Hargrove on the trumpet, Dave Holland on bass and Kenny Garrett on saxophone.

A jazz symposium and tribute to Max Roach, the only surviving member of the five, will mark the anniversary.

pretty good stuff, does anyone have a copy of the first show with dizzy and mingus? id love a copy

apparently it was released so you shoudl be able to find an actual copy- I think the story goes that Dizzy recorded it without anyone knowing and charlie parker couldn't officially appear so they renamed him Charlie Chan on the record jacket.

I want a copy too. But I'm think old record shops and record shows might turn up a vinyl copy eventually!

There was one question I had which the book didn't really cover: what happened to the rest of the recordings?

The CD is only approx. 45 minutes, IIRC, and I'm sure the show was longer than that; further, there are some clear edits on the CD, indicating that something was cut out. I'd love to hear a "The Quintet - Complete" CD (or CD set, I hope).

Aloha,

Brad

When Ian Wallace was with King Crimson, they played Massey Hall, he didn't realize until after the show that he had played in the same venue as the legendary show. He later said that had he known, he would have probably tried to make off with part of the stage ... so it was for the best that he didn't know ! [Wink]

Rob Not Bob

Archived