Jambands.ca

Switching all my CD's, shows over to my IPOD

phunkyb

I plan on putting all my shows on an IPOD and also buy a back up hard drive to store them as well.

I have well over a 1000 CD's that will be going on the IPOD.

After the transfer has been done I would like to get rid of all of my CD's and binders. What are people thoughts on me selling my shows? I will not be selling the CD's to make a profit or label them as selling shows, but would like to sell them for the cost I bought the actual disc for. Was thinking between .25 and .50 cents per disc.

Do people think this is okay to do or are there any other sugesstions?

If and when i finish this process I will post my list on the skank board.

Here is my list for anyone interested...

db.etree.org/phunkyb420

I don't see anything wrong with selling them at cost (after all, I'm sure they are a labour of love as well). And those iPods sure aren't cheap. I'd recommend that you get the extended warranty on it. I think it was only $60 or so for 2 years. Very cheap considering how much it costs to repair/replace/recycle any Apple product.

I was wondering if I was the only one. I've been archiving all my phish and sci to FLAC and sold each spindle of 50 cds for ~$15-20 U.S.... but the process is long and painful. I've managed to get through ~600 CDs so far, and condense it all to less than one binder's worth of DVDs in FLAC.

What would happen to your collection if you were to lose your IPOD?

Good point Esau.

I have all of my iPod files backed up on an external hard drive and on my laptop. You can get an external drive for relatively cheap. It's worth it when you think about all the time and energy it took to gather these shows.

why don't you just b & p them all? or permavine them and make lots of new friends? or sell a stack of them (like 50 or so) for $20 or $30 or something. it somehow doesn't seem right to sell per show. to me at least. :) isn't the whole philosophy behind copies of live shows that they are never, ever to be sold, just traded?

whooa....i am so behind the times...dont even own an mp3player (asides from my computer)....

i'm a music freak...yet somehow treat all my cd's almost recklessly...its rare for myself not to lose cd's or have one play all the way through not scrathed...but alas this keeps me getting new ones.

oh yeah i've bought american beauty WAY too many times!

any other cd scratchers out there?

i stopped burning / trading/ collecting shows a few years ago. it started to seem pointless. of course i wanted every show by every band. i knew it wasn't worth the time or money because the music was truely available all the time. sure i burn a show here and there now. but i dont need 10 stacks of 100 shows of the same band.

i gave away all my maxell tapes away at shows over the last few years. people really like them for the car stereo still.

how many cds can an ipod hold anyways??

Amy - can't play FLAC on the iPOD, nor do I own one. I have a 20gig Rio Karma. IMHO, it is a better device than the ipod for 2 simple reasons:

1) It plays FLAC (& Ogg)

2) It plays music in a GAPLESS format. Which means I won't get that annoying 2 second iPOD gap when trey is sequeing from that sick jam into the deep funk ;o)

I originally tried to get rid of my shows/CDs on a show-by-show basis. But all that did was make my collection even more unorganized than it already was, and made it even more confusing setting shows aside for specific people. No one wants my cases, even though they had nice colour covers... so its just easier to put 'em on a spindle, and look for someone who wants the whole thing. I know I've put more time and $$ into collecting each spindle of 50 than I am getting for it ($15 US), but at this point, I feel lucky enough being able to find takers.

After all, who in their right mind wants every freakin show of a year, for any band?! ;o)

I don't understand all the fuss about ipods and mp3s, with their low sampling rate. If you want to listen lower quality audio, go right ahead. Sure, being able to carry your entire music collecion in your pocket is great, but for me, music reproduction was perfected with FM radio and compact discs. mp3s seem a step backwards to me.

2) It plays music in a GAPLESS format. Which means I won't get that annoying 2 second iPOD gap when trey is sequeing from that sick jam into the deep funk ;o)

You can remove the gap in your iTunes preferences. You're right though, there's nothing more annoying than a sweet jam that just pauses out of the blue. :(