Jambands.ca

Dickey Betts in T.O. Tonight: Who's Going?

Jaimoe

I'm planning on being there early as well. I've heard amazing things about "that punk blues kid" (hee hee), although I've never actually heard him. As long as the traffic isn't too bad (tractor protest?) we plan on being there for the opener. Can't wait! :D

Any good places to grab a bite around those parts?

Thanks Jaimoe!

Here's a link that out-of-towners may want to check out. Damn them tractors! Why couldn't they plan a protest for the day of a sh!tty concert? :P

http://toronto.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=to-farmers20050309

That will be more of a problem for outgoing traffic, but rubberneckers will slow things down somewhat coming into town.

I remember seeing a small Betts review by Stu Dog from last summer when Dickey played southern Ontario. Dickey played alot of his ABB tunes. How could he not? Elizabeth Reed, Jessica, Revival and Blue Sky are rock anthems. I'd even like to hear Ramblin' Man, a song I generally don't like. Here's hoping for Back Where It All Begins and Seven Turns!

Some of the songs on his last solo release were good too, so expect them to be aired-out.

It's been earlier reported that Betts will hit the stage at 10:00, which seems likely since it is a " school night ".

From all accounts, the opening act, Jimmy Bowskill, is worth checking out. He's just a kid, but the last time people raved like this about a blues kid, his name was Derek Trucks ( and I'm ignoring the image and career of Johnny Lang on purpose ).

http://www.jimmybowskill.com/

"Uncle Bill: "Mr. Monk, I really like your music and I think you are a great piano player".

Thelonious Monk: " You don't know sh!t about jazz ". "

(Actual conversation between Monk and my uncle, mid 1950's Toronto).

Your lineage sure cant talk to the pro's, eh? I cant believe some of things I have heard you say, or heard about you saying.

"Hi Derek Trucks. My name is Dave Ball. I saw you first play when you were 13 years old and you were wearing a baseball cap. I like the blues."

Derek responded with "Are you hitting on me?"

or the time we met Jimmy Herring? Oh man, you embarrased yourself while I bummed a smoke off him. Or how about the time with Ron Mclean's wife? Oh wait, how about meeting Alvin Youngblood Heart?

Heck, on a similar note, what about the time we went to see the Allmans in Syracuse? Here comes Ball, ruining our chances whilst Nish and I were hitting on some broads: "Hi, we're from Canada."

Holy crap, this list could go on and on......................................have fun tonight and try to keep your mouth shut ;)

"Uncle Bill: "Mr. Monk, I really like your music and I think you are a great piano player".

Thelonious Monk: " You don't know sh!t about jazz ". "

(Actual conversation between Monk and my uncle, mid 1950's Toronto).

Your lineage sure cant talk to the pro's, eh? I cant believe some of things I have heard you say, or heard about you saying.

"Hi Derek Trucks. My name is Dave Ball. I saw you first play when you were 13 years old and you were wearing a baseball cap. I like the blues."

Derek responded with "Are you hitting on me?"

or the time we met Jimmy Herring? Oh man, you embarrased yourself while I bummed a smoke off him. Or how about the time with Ron Mclean's wife? Oh wait, how about meeting Alvin Youngblood Heart?

Heck, on a similar note, what about the time we went to see the Allmans in Syracuse? Here comes Ball, ruining our chances whilst Nish and I were hitting on some broads: "Hi, we're from Canada."

Holy crap, this list could go on and on......................................have fun tonight and try to keep your mouth shut ;)

I'll have fun.

I was really hammered when I spoke with Alvin, but he did tell me he never met Phish, even though he opened for them a few times. I found that surprising.

My uncle is my mother's sister's husband, thus not blood related to me.

With Jimmy, I passed along a " Hi " from Derek Trucks - someone we both saw in Kingston a week prior to the Jazz Is Dead's Toronto show.

And to my dying day, I'll swear that you are the one that said " Hi, we're from Canada " at the Allmans show at the New York State Fairground back in 1990.

Jimmy's website says that Jerome Godboo is in his band, playing harp. Jerome is one of the finest blues harp players in the country.

Amen to that! I haven't seen him since he toured with his last solo album (with the lame God-like photo of him holding his wee son as a cover). He is, by far, the most talented harp player I've ever seen. He's got like 23 of those things strapped to his waist! Anyone else remember him rockin' Grossman's Tavern back in the 90s? Ah, the good 'ol days. ;) I can't wait to see his get-up. Jerome is infamous for having the most oddball attire.

Alec Fraser too! He rocks as well, both as a musician and a producer (although he over-produces himself and Jerome a little). Man, what a group this kid's put together.

Awwwww man! This Jimmy kid is sure gonna rock! :: :: :: :: ::

Can't wait! Stu and I are gettin off work at 2... pickin up chandler bing in london! I'm counting down the minutes!!

I remember seeing a small Betts review by Stu Dog from last summer when Dickey played southern Ontario. Dickey played alot of his ABB tunes. How could he not? Elizabeth Reed, Jessica, Revival and Blue Sky are rock anthems. I'd even like to hear Ramblin' Man, a song I generally don't like. Here's hoping for Back Where It All Begins and Seven Turns!

Some of the songs on his last solo release were good too, so expect them to be aired-out.

I actually worte a little something about that show... s2 took some great shots though!

Here's what I dug up:

Dickie Betts and Great Southern

July 18th, 2003

International Bluesfest

Harbourfront - Windsor, ON

high falls (!)

franklins tease (extended)>

blue sky

come in to my kitchen

back where it all begins>

liz reed (w/ 3rd stone teases)

no one to run with

jessica (with Mountain Jam jam)

90 min

Right outta the gate dickie was on fire! The signature rolling thunder grumblings to start the show could only mean one thing - High Falls! We were situated about 10 feet from the stage and it was great seeing dickie jam it out on guitar from so close.

dickie was accompanied on stage by saxophone, guitar, two drummers, keys, and bass. Hearing the sax jamming with dickie was quite nice.

The show was so high energy from start to finish. My feet never stopped moving for a second. Super solid workings of betts classics that I've sure been missing at post-dickie Allman Brothers Band shows. I would love to get a recording of a show from this tour if I can find one. I didn't see any tapers at the show on Friday.

dickie looked at his watch in between every song... making sure that he was going to get in all the songs he wanted to play. His time was cut a little short because of a ton of sponsorship announcements before they went on. That was a little infortunate and had me believe that songs were not stretched out to the extent they would normally be. The drums section of Liz Reed went on only a couple of minutes before dickie and the others came back on stage to conclude the song.

acl.jpg

aco.jpg

I remember what you look like, Jaimoe... I met you at ABB at Molson Amp a few years back. The one that Chewie got us free tix and we got to meet Derek and Warren. (But stu and I got bored of waiting and went back out to the lot to get further prepped.) Yeah, we talked and talked out in the lot.