Jambands.ca

Home Fries - let's hear how you make 'em!

MarcO

One of my fondest food memories is pan-fried potato pieces (usually leftover boiled potatoes, cut up into 1/2"-ish chunks) with...leftover bread. Yup, rip up the bread (semi-stale, crusts, whatever) into chunks and fry it up with the potatoes.

For extra flavour, try adding Italian-style ham: some diced panchetta, maybe, or even just regular bacon. How about peppers? Some jalapenos, or even just green/red/orange bell peppers (or a combo, for the colours if nothing else). There are some mild Hungarian peppers (bigger than jalapenoes, longer and thinner than bell peppers, sort of yellow in colour) which are nice.

Aloha,

Brad

I do a few things with breakfast potatos.

1. Using leftover mashed potatos (or even instant mashed work well for this) combine with garlic powder, cayenne (if you're up for it), salt and pepper. Form into patties and pan fry. Don't turn them too much or they'll be mush. You want them good and golden to dark brown.

2. Cut potato into cubed bite-sized pieces. Put them into a deep bowl and drizzle olive oil on top of them. Then I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, a sliced red bell pepper, sliced onion and cumin. Bake at 350 until potatos are soft, golden and crispy.

3. I LOVE FRANK'S RED HOT SAUCE FOR BREAKFAST!!! Cut potato into cubed bite-sized pieces. Put them into a deep bowl and drizzle olive oil on top of them. Then I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and as much Frank's sauce as you desire (I coat all the potatos very well, all over) Bake at 350 until potatos are soft, golden, crispy and red!

I want a weekend breakfast for dinner tonight. [big Grin]

a sprinkle of seasoning salt in the last few minutes is highly recommended...

I dice onion and garlic and saute them... cook the works in olive oil instead of butter

secret ingredient - bit of lemon juice added about mid-cook

thin slices of orange on the side are a nice touch

(I'm irish, I take my homefries seriously!)

[big Grin]

Oh boy, now I'm really hungry...

I'm pretty traditional, I just throw em in a pan, with butter, onions, lots of pepper, maybe some generic italian seasoning, some cajun or cayenne or something to kick it up...

One thing Pat did was throw them in the oven with cut up pieces of apple. I was pretty skepticle, but damn it was good!

Pat being a professional chef, I would think he'd know what's up.

Wicked, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Fuck am I ever hungry now!! [Eek!][Eek!]

I'd also like to hear recipes on how to prepare and serve CyberHippie.

Archived