Jambands.ca

Taxes Help!

Freeker

T4 slips, T5 slips, RRSP contribution receipts, any tax statements from investments, receipts from charities you contributed to, last year's assessment, etc. Basically, any slip of paper from people who paid you, or people you paid.

Also, I wouldn't go to Block if I were you. Your taxes should be simple enough not to require a professional, and if you're using the "cash back on your refund" thing, well, that's not a great deal unless you really need the cash now. Knowing how to do your own taxes (which Block will teach you how to do, which is a good thing they do) is useful and empowering.

Aloha,

Brad

"T4 slips, T5 slips, RRSP contribution receipts, any tax statements from investments, receipts from charities you contributed to, last year's assessment, etc. Basically, any slip of paper from people who paid you, or people you paid."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious Brad!

Seriously Freeker, avoid H&R Block if at all possible. Their fees are just too high for the average Joe's return. I had them do my taxes a few years ago and they told me I'd get back $12.00. They charged me $60.00 for a simple claim (1 T4 and that's it). I walked out and told them to kiss my hiney.

Try Ufile.ca it's simple.

I've used www.quicktaxweb.ca for the last three years. Very simple, guides you step by step and as of this year gives you a running refund total in the upper right...great to keep you motivated to finish it quickly.

Finally, it gives you the finished document in PDF, saved on their site for any time you wish to access it, and it takes you ste by step through the NETFILE process. Couldn't recommend it more highly, even if you've never done your own taxes.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm seriously reconsidering the Block now. I've just had really good luck with them plus the fact that I'm mathematically illiterate were factors in going back again this year.

I think I will check into this Ufile and if that doesn't work maybe I'll go to this Liberty on Bank.

If it's a simple return, you should have no problem doing it yourself (mathematically challenged or not..follow the instructions and you can't go wrong).

If you have more complex finances, you likely can't do it yourself, but if that's the case, don't go to H & R Block.

I used to do my taxes myself with no trouble--until some complexity entered into it (mutual fund stuff, capital gains etc.).

I took it to H & R Block, handed off all my info & documents. They called me and said, "The government says this isn't everything."

I said,"What do you mean?"

They said, "Apparently you left some stuff out."

Me: "Um, but, I gave you everything."

Them: "Well you have to tell us what information you're missing."

I got my stuff back from them and had a real accountant take care of it (I felt better when he told me it was far too complicated for someone without a financial/accounting background to figure out my taxes. Apparently it was also too complex for H & R Block).

Mad props to Basher's dad--keeping Julia out of jail on tax evasion since '03!

Ufile is so damn easy. It pretty much does the entire tax return for you. The hardest part is addressing the enveloping and licking the stamp.

If you can use the online submission feature, you can have your tax return done and sent in under 20 minutes.

Don't forget your rent, you can write that off too. At least, I have written it off for the past couple of years with no problems, but that might be because I'm a student. In fact, last year I was sort-of audited (not really an audit, more of that pre-audit phase where they're just sort of poking around and asking questions). I thought they were going to tell me I couldn't write off my rent, but in actual fact they just wanted a receipt from my landlord. So now I'm pretty confident it's legit. Might want to check if it's only for students though.

Re: rent. You can write it off whether you're a student or not, as part of your Ontario Tax Credits. Just calculate the amount of rent you paid in 2004 and enter it in the appropriate section, along with your landlord's name (hint: there are sections in the form where it says "name (optional). An accoutnant told me to fill it in if you know it because it's one of the auditors red flags).

If you moved closer to a job or school during the year you can claim the expenses of that move: hotel, food, moving company (keep your uhaul reciepts). You need only show that the distance to school/work is less after the move.

I can't compare Ufile with Quicktax, sorry Dave-O. I can only tell you I've had absolutely no problems with Quicktax. It's also free if your net income was less than $24000 last year, otherwise it's 19.95.