Jambands.ca

Da Kink in my Hair - by Trey Anthony

Large Marge

I went and to the Princess of Whales Theater last night (for shame! theatre on St. Paddy’s day!!! They didn’t even have green beer!) and have decided that I must spread the word about this play. I’m not a total theatre buff or anything, but I do subscribe to the Tarragon and have seen a fair number of Mirvish and Off-Mirvish productions over the years… I have to say, this is possibly the best play I have ever seen. What an emotional rollercoaster!!! I went from stifling laughter to stifling tears and was ultimately enveloped by a warm and healing force coming from the women on stage. Some amazing afro-beat percussion throughout, and some of the most riveting performances I have seen. Due to the critical acclaim (and sell out shows), the run has been extended but it’s still only on for another 10 days. There are $20 rush seats available at 4:00 each day (first come, first serve) and regular tickets range from $25 - $65. It's Orchestra only, so all seats are good. This is the only Canadian play to have ever been produced at Princess of Whales… here’s how they write it up:

“Set in a West Indian hair salon in Toronto, 'DA KINK IN MY HAIR gives voice to a group of women who tell us their unforgettable, moving and often hilarious stories. Mixing laughter and tears - and told in words, music and dance - the stories explore the hardship, struggles and joys of black women's lives.

Originally staged at the Toronto Fringe Festival, 'DA KINK was invited to the New York Fringe Festival and Toronto's Theatre Passe Muraille and served as the basis for a recent drama special on VISION TV. Everywhere it has played it has broken box office records and attracted diverse audiences and loud acclaim.”

Cheers!