Jambands.ca

Dylan Movie Sounds Strange

Freeker

BOB Dylan has finally given permission to a Hollywood studio to make a film about his life. He will be portrayed by seven actors - one of them a black woman.

Todd Haynes, the Oscar-nominated director, confirmed last week he was searching for a woman who could do justice to the short, white Jewish singer's "inner blackness".

The seven will play Dylan during different eras in his 43-year career, starting in the 1960s when his song The Times They Are A-Changin' became an anti-war anthem.

It is traditional in films spanning a lifetime for characters to be played by more than one actor, but rare for them to change sex or race. Haynes is considering female actors, including the pop singer Beyonce Knowles, the tennis champion Venus Williams and the television presenter Oprah Winfrey.

Advertisement:

Haynes has built his reputation on being different. His first film, about the life of the anorexic singer Karen Carpenter, had a cast of Barbie dolls.

He made his name with Velvet Goldmine, in which Ewan McGregor played a gender-bending rocker, before going on to receive an Oscar nomination for screenwriting for his 2002 film Far from Heaven.

Last week the 44-year-old director said Dylan was "too complex" to be played by a conventional actor. "I am setting out to explode the idea that anybody can be depicted in a single self," he said.

He said that Dylan, who has rejected many other offers, had approved this project because of its unconventional casting. It is due for release next year under the title I'm Not There: Suppositions on a Film Concerning Dylan

:Beyonce, Velvet Goldmine - I'm scared alredy :(

Haynes is considering female actors, including the pop singer Beyonce Knowles, the tennis champion Venus Williams and the television presenter Oprah Winfrey.

:: Holy puke! This has the potential to be the worst film ever. I can't think of anything these three broads have in common with Dylan. What a sham!