Jambands.ca

What is the deal with Trey Bashing?

Deeps

Can somebody explain to me where the distain for this man comes from?

I have very little allegiance to anything except the general making of music and not being a pop-music-no-mind?

That being said ... I do have an intimate relationship with the making of music and a strong sense of respect for the music made by others, but do not find myself surrounded by volumes of live recordings or biographies of my favourite musicians and thus I remain slightly under-educated about the inner working of the players and their fan base.

Quite simply I listen, try to discover the root of why the music works and then try to apply these macro-concepts not wanting to delve too deep for fear of being an imitator when my pen takes to paper or my hands to playing.

My personal listening habits aside.....

I ask the people of this board who are much more informed than myself on Trey Anastasio to explain where the distain comes from or speculate where the distain of the others may be coming from.

I hear a great player and a person that makes a real effort to be true to his art nothing more nothing less.

Learn me up!

Deeps

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a newb/ PhantasyTour thing to bash Trey.. it makes you cool... not to mention, when you think about it take into account the age of these silly people doing all the bashing...

People need to blame someone when things dont go their way and because he was the one that innitiated the break up of Phish then all of the hatred seems to be centred on him... very immature way of thinking if u ask me...

where are you seeing the trey bashing?

i think he's pretty respected around these parts...no?

Ohhh I just see it here and there as I traverse the board on Company time. I didn't mean to imply that it was epidemic or that there was a general aire of mean-spiritedness around here.

I've also heard it around jam band clubs too.

Just struck me as immature or strange or sumthin.

Thought I'd ask those in the know.

Deeps

For the record - Trey bashing started for me summer 2002. Went to a big run in the states - WSP, SCI, Phil and, unfortunately Trey. Trey was a team choice not mine.

However, the thing I noticed more then anything was that it was all about the dough. Trey's thugs were busting kids for selling anything that said Trey or anything else on it. Tickets were a fortune. The shows sounded about as original or different as it sounds when I play my American Beauty studio disc on repeat for 15 hours straight.

Yup. Thats when I became a Trey basher. (I won't even get into the disintigration of phish, because I'm sure that there is more then enough blame to spread around there) (oh, but I better add my dismay with respect to the way they handled Coventry - ie. SHOW ME THE MONEY!)

Mo Mack... seriously are u wanting your money back from Coventry? It may have been a disaster area but what more would you have liked the band to do? They were up all hours trying to figure a way to make things easier on what happened to be a work of nature... That area hasnt seen anything like that in umpteen years from what i heard...

Remember the truck load after truck load of wood chips being brought in to dry out the site? Im not meaning this as a personal attack on you but its to my opinion that they did everything humanly possible in the short time they had to work with... would you rather it be cancelled after travelling all the way there?

PoG, I disagree with you over Coventry.

If the band would have come to some agreement with the local authorities to allow cars to remain parked on the side of the highway without being towed (which occurred, even though they threatened to tow) the band could then have given us that assurance and arranged to have everyone picked up in shuttle buses and brought to the gate.

Instead, they left us to fend for ourselves. I think it was very poorly handled, and that becomes clear when you realize that 10s of thousands of us found places for our cars and got inside under our own power. I believe the band made it look like they tried; and their efforts ended there (oh ya, and they signed some autographs to mail out later as an apology).

Shuttle buses to carry some 30 000 people to and from the gate? For a freak of nature occurance? It was YOUR choice to leave your car and risk being towed...and truthfully im glad so many did... the authorities as stated closed the event not the band in my opinion... all refunds were offered to those that were unfortunate enough not to get to the site before Mike made the announcement...or chose not to hike in... I think what disheartens me the most about everyone bashing Trey or Phish or Coventry is what this band has done for everyone previously.... have we all forgotten what they put into each event such as Coventry be it Cypress or Wheel,Oswego, Went or Ball... show me others that have gone over the top like this for US the fans? They owe me nothing!

i can understand the coventry bashing totally.

it sucks about the rain. and the mud. and the problems with turning people away...BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, it IS THEIR FAULT THE WAY THEY PLAYED!!!!!

i blame the whole band for the disaster that was Coventry. But i dont blame Trey for anything in perticular.

True - coventry was everyone's fault.

The real problem with that one is how it was handled - not nature. ie.

a) come late the grounds are horrible

B) if you're in you're in otherwise you're not allowed leave please please please

c) the show went on.

The people that listened got screwed. BUT, somehow everyone forgets the reality of what happened. Economics made that show go on. It wasn't the tickets, the Vermont authorities had nothing to do with it. It was the Famous Players / Ciniplex Odeon etc. etc. that were sold out coast to coast and expecting to simulcast. That was millions of dollars, and that was why the show went on when it shouldn't have...

But hey, we live in a what have you done for me lately world don't we??? lol

i think that if you're a vendor selling knockoff phish gear or trey wear then they/he deserves a cut.

I have no sympathy for somebody that sells somehting with my name on it and doesn't toss me anything for it, even if it's a letter asking for permission or a case of beer. that's a sack of sh!t, the way tour kids can make their living off the name of somebody they have no connection to in any way.

I've only heard one decent coventry story. a couple of friends of mine that went found a parking spot on the edge of the runway and camped right behind their car. they didn't have to worry about too much mushy ground.

i would blame the rain for a sh!tty time at coventry. poor organization is horrible, but in that line of thought, we're really lucky nobody ever had a health issue or security problem at frontier town parties.

Shuttle buses to carry some 30 000 people to and from the gate? For a freak of nature occurance? It was YOUR choice to leave your car and risk being towed...and truthfully im glad so many did...

First, yes; 30,000 people shuttled in. It is not at all unreasonable to suggest, and I've seen it done in other cases. I once saw a Phil and Friends show where they made everyone park several miles from the stadium, and you were ONLY allowed to enter via shuttle bus. If you walked to the gate, they turned you around.

Second, my main point is that the band could easily have gotten agreement from the local authorities to allow our vehicles to remain on the highway shoulder over the weekend. It should not have been at the drivers' own risk.

I should say I am not a "Trey Basher", but I thought that Coventry was pathetic (both the handling of it and the playing). In fact, although I was aware of this board for years, I had never posted here before Coventry, and only did so afterward because I was so irritated I wanted to complain to someone. I just re-read what I posted that day, and I still agree with what I said, which is this...

I have never posted to this Board before, however, after this Pharewell show, I have to comment.

I was one of the unnamed friends of Velvet who joined him in this extravaganza.

As you have likely read Velvet's postings, I would think you can understand that it is hard to post anything about this experience in a truly positive light.

Frankly, I was more than a little annoyed that Phish seemed to begin lying to us months before the show, and continued to do so until the Saturday morning. Further, despite Mike's contention over the air on "the Bunny" that they "considered every option" to get the heads into the show, but there was "no choice" but to send everyone home, I find it very interesting that somehow tens of thousands of us made it in on our own. In my view, Phish took a very casual attitude toward its fans, who often travelled surreal distances at great expense to be there. I thought I had it rough, travelling about 5,000 kms, until I met people travelling from Switzerland and Japan! The fact is, Phish should have done SOMETHING. They did not have to leave us all out on the freeway plotting our anarchic solution as to how we would get in. All it would have required would have been a few shuttle buses picking us up along the highway to drive us in, with an assurance that our cars would be there on Monday morning when we returned. If Phish had merely offered that much, I would be much more forgiving right now. Instead, we had to figure it out ourselves.

I can certainly understand how nice of an ego-stroke it is to watch 70,000 people scramble around rural Vermont to salvage their roadtrip and see your band play, however, that is hardly an excuse for shutting us out and just sitting back to watch us suffer and freak out.

I feel really badly for people who actually left the show, and found out later that they could have gotten in!

Now, that being said, I am glad I went. Although the situation was far from ideal, and these were two of the weakest shows I have ever seen the band play, at least I have closure. In fact, I think I have the very closure I need to move on. Goodbye Phish; and frankly I don't know if I will truly miss you or simply my memories of what you used to be.

I know that some of you are going to read this and think I am just being negative. I even expect to receive replies that argue with some of what I said. Before you write those replies, though, think about it. Everyone deserves respect, and treating your fans as Phish treated us is hardly respectful.

Okay, I'll end on a positive note ... Chalkdust Torture rocked and I am glad I made it.

For me, I don't know if it so much Trey bashing. I've been a phan for over a decade and quite frankly, it's mostly good natured ribbing somedays, utter disappointment others. However, all of this is 2% of my comments on the man's playing, the rest is usually spent in awe.

Fact of the matter is, if you saw the band enough, you heard a Fluffhead where you just go "eeewww, that was a trainwreck" or the like. Such is the nature of the beast. Bad drugs, bad luck or bad practice habits can kill any musicians. Even Trey.

As for the rest of the world, it's easier to hate what has came before to separate yourself; to look ahead of the curve.

Now Donna hating on the hand..... ::

I think the major screwup they had was not having an airstrip of some kind.

Plattsburgh NY, airstrip

Upeast Maine, airstripper

Highgate Vt. stripofair

On the original question however, I think Trey gets bashed because he chooses to do what he wants to do. It's the same reason I get bashed. Where's Basher? I bet he gets bashed.

give me Haley's Comet any day

peace

All the great musicians get bashed for something. Trey has blown my mind plenty of times in the past, but I think he hit his peak about ten years ago and everything since then has been a slow decline. I really wish he'd shake up his guitar tone as well, it seems like he uses the same settings on his gear 95% of the time. While I'm bashing... as much as I dig Phish, it always amazed me that they had practically nothing worthwhile to say in their lyrics. Their audience included a lot of socially-aware, intelligent young people, and Phish had nothing more to say to them than "gotta jiboo."

i think that if you're a vendor selling knockoff phish gear or trey wear then they/he deserves a cut.

I have no sympathy for somebody that sells somehting with my name on it and doesn't toss me anything for it, even if it's a letter asking for permission or a case of beer. that's a sack of sh!t, the way tour kids can make their living off the name of somebody they have no connection to in any way.

Okay, this hits another vein. My take on the kids in the parking lot selling the shirts is diameterically opposed to yours. I think that its crazy Trey would care. They are selling the sh!t to buy tickets!

Furthermore, if people are honest to themselves and to us, part of what brings everyone to the shows in the party. (please don't go into the scene wrecking argument - sure there are issues when people go JUST for the party, but I think, and for the purposes of discussion, lets say its okay for people with tickets to party, or who are trying to get tickets at least). People get dragged to their first shows - be it dead, phish, wsp, sci, fu©k even frontier town, you get dragged into the scene for the party. Yes you listened to the music. I had every dead studio album before I went to see them, but the party is what got it going, and got me to so many shows.

Of course, changing the setlist gets the repeats too. But with attracting the repeat customers and tourheads comes the tourshirts. If you don't want someone selling a bootleg shirt, don't switch up the set so much. Or don't cater to and attract that type of audience. I mean, it is a community right - everybody does what they can right? Isn't it better to have people selling shirts and displaying their distaste for mainstream society, allowing us our getaway, keeping the "circus" alive for us, then to have them panhandling or breaking into cars. Is satire not art? Do djs not make music? Intellectual property just gets way to out of hand. Trey makes music not merchandise!

If you watch Phish and Trey through the years, the way it progressed and developed, it was almost like they were moving across the political spectrum. left to right. You could see that money became more and more important, and the machine got out of hand. When I first went to shows it was cool to bootleg shirts etc. Then you needed the okay from Amy. Then you got busted. Meanwhile the scene grew and grew and they made more and more...

I'm sort of rambling. But to me, the whole "scene" has a political connotation. It has a "take what you need and leave the rest" sort of aspect to it. Phish moved on from that sometime late 90's, and that means I can bash Trey.

One last thing, I am just sort of spouting consciousness, not meaning to offend, or impose on others' ideas, just the way I see it, or have seen it...