Jambands.ca

Born Into Brothels

Velvet

I'd totally be in on a film like that, but 5:00 is too early for me. I can barely get out of the door at 5:00.. let alone all the way downtown and ready for a movie.. enjoy!

and just to do a mini thread hijack, tomorrow night on the CBC's Passionate Eye is Avi Lewis and Naomi Klien's documentary The Take.. check it out!

and just to do a mini thread hijack, tomorrow night on the CBC's Passionate Eye is Avi Lewis and Naomi Klien's documentary The Take.. check it out!

Part 3 of "The Corporation" is on the Knowledge Network tomorrow night (Thursday) at 11pm PST.

Best...Doc...Ever

Wish I could go with ya. I used to go to the Bytowne frequently! Do they still include both movies for the one admission???

the movie sounds VERY disturbing, but also very redemptive -- Enjoy!

Calcutta sure is one fu©ked up city!! Dave & I were there 3 times over our travels through India and "gritty" doesn't come close. It was a troubling place to be for many reasons, and weird and scary sh!t happened to us while there. It's a fascinating place but not one I'm keen to re-visit soon. If you do enjoy the movie though, consider picking up the book "City of Joy", by Dominique Lapierre (Stay FAAAARRR AWAAAAAYYY from the movie version though --Patrick Swazy -- **shudder**)The book is a true story of a Eurpoean catholic priest who takes his vow of poverty seriouly enough to go and live in the slums of Calcutta. The poverty, violence, organized crime is staggering. Another great similar read, though it's fiction, is Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance"

hey -- if ya can't find a 'date' for tonight, head to the library!! :) :)

hey Bokonon~

Yep! The Roxy Cinegog at Quadra and Hillside is the closest thing we've got to an indy cinema, but it's a pretty campy place. 2 movies for 5 bucks every night. They get all the interesting documentaries etc. It's not quite the same as the amazing indy theatres in Toronto but it's the best we've got ;-)

We (DaveyBoy, CatPhish, Booche, and myself) saw Velvet waiting for the bus yesterday to get to Bytowne. So naturally we rolled the windows down to shout our hellos. Well, Catphish ended it with "How's that Imodium working out for ya?" Hahahahhaahaha!!! I'll betcha those other people waiting at the bus stop decided to wait for the next bus in fear of explosive diarrhea!!

i had a nice 45 minute walk to and from waterloo with a very interesting movie in between. so day one of solo lex is really great so far. slept in really late. got up and did yoga with no noise. had a leisurely breakfast reading abbie hoffman's biography and spent the majority of the day trying to decide which books to take with me to BC and which to store at my parents'. (a daunting task indeed!) i put some homemade veggie soup together in the slow cooker this afternoon so i'm enjoying it right now, which is a perfect cap to a relaxing day.good friday.....yes it was.

oh yeah, this thread isn't all about me! ;) the movie was great. very visceral. i like that the children were framed as individuals with brains instead of just poor little kids of sex workers. i find that a lot of adults don't really understand that kids are actually quite smart and have a lot to say. especially ignored are poor, foreign kids. it was quite a detailed trip in to a culture of which i know virtually nothing. the kids end up being portrayed as much more "mature" than the adults in the film. i left feeling like it was a realistic portrayal of life in an indian red light district. i personally have to admire the determination of the (writer, host, ???) to see that the kids actually get an opportunity to attend school. it was maddening that the families would destroy the kids' chance to get out of that cycle of poverty.

If i were in that situation I'd probably rent my daughter out too.

but understanding i was in that situation you must understand that i understand that i'd feel like I would have no other choice.

congrats to the girl that ran away to go to that school for girls. she'll be something someday.

and lex - the kids WERE more mature than the adults.

'didn't you hear me? what, do you have a dick in your ear?'