Jambands.ca

Random Quotes at Shows

Freeker

well i got two..

walking out to tent at clifford ball this guy was on this hilarious rant...the only thing i remember from it was his description of what he felt during a tune...

"it was like hot champagne bubbling through my veins"

ran into the guy a year later or so in the fleet center washroom, and i tell him what i remember..to which he replied..

"dude, got any 'e'?

msg- mikes>piper>weekapaug....grooving hard and joyously, eyes closed, smiling, in the moment...

..huge guy in overalls behind me as loud as a train..

"shave your fu©king balls trey"...>weekapaug.

girl getting pissed off at drunk boyfriend for not being able to walk straight:

GOD, you are SO DISorganized! ::

some guy who looked really tired during the day at izzy's, totally pigging out on someone else's cookies:

fu©k, i love cookies!

teetervillestation before a show in dover:

"party, as in do lots of chemicals and have an orgy. what did you think i meant?"

dieseldoug just randomly speaking:

i flat you late.

neugroove stumbling home from fat cats at the boathouse telling a story that i couldn't understand because he was too "disorganized" to talk properly:

well, if you have a good imagination it's funny.

I was standing next to someone (who is actually on this board) at the Florida Phish shows at New Years 2000. We were facing the stage and there were two girls in front of us facing away from the stage who could not have been more than 16 years old. They were topless, except for bodypaint, wearing pig-tails and sucking on lolli-pops; while they looked straight at us. My friend just looked straight ahead and said, matter-of-factly:

"I'm a big fan of bodypaint."

"like, ohmygod, why is everyone so pushy here, it was NOTHING like this at jack johnson in vancouver"

overheard by the *five feet of fury* & i, from a complete airhead "i just came from club monaco, but look at my one shouldered shirt with fringe, i'm so hip and laid back" donut-brain, while we were directly in front of the stage, five rows back, on the floor at the freakin' BEASTIE BOYS at the ACC (in other words, ginormous venue brimming with punky skater kids and beastie brats).

um....yeah. throw yourself to the wolves in the 'mosh pit' at a huge arena beastie boys concert, and you're right, it must be because you're in toronto that you're getting shoved around more than you were at jack johnson in hippy skippy vancouver. (insert eye rolling smilie here)

It's yelled-out either seriously or as a joke at many concerts, but I never tire of hearing: " Whippin' Post "!

The funniest one that I've heard is at the beginning of Whipping Floss ( Montana ) from Frank Zappa's " You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. II ". Frank takes a cue from the fan and ends up turning Montana into a new song with some of Whipping Post's lyrics, then he wails on an eight minute guitar solo. Incidently, that album is one of his best live recordings.

It's also one of the best audience interactions ever:

Frank: We don't know how to play that. Sing me some of "Whipping Post", and we'll try it.

Fan: (no response)

Frank: Judging from the way you sang it, it must be a John Cage composition*...

Then, of course, the '84 Zappa band actually did "Whipping Post", as the "Them Or Us" album documents. (There's also a live video of it, too.)

Aloha,

Brad

* A reference to John Cage's piece, "4:33", which consists of four minutes and thirty-three seconds of silence.

In person, the funniest thing I've heard with my own ears was said by Ozzy 10 years ago. I went to Ozzy's concert at the Molson Amphitheatre and it got to the point of the show where Ozzy introduced the band members. Zak Wilde had just left the band and his replacement on guitar was Ed Holmes. Ozzy introduced Ed this way: " And on guitar, Ed Holmes: No relation to Sherlock or John Holmes ".

Then Ozzy sprayed the audience with buckets of water and hoisted a very young Jack Osbourne onto his shoulders. Jack gave the audience the devil sign.

Ozzy then told the audience: " I'll remember this night until the day I die... but I'm never going to die. ( Evil laugh ) Ha ha ha... ".

@ Phish in Saratoga Springs NY last summer.

It was a 2 day show. First night everyone who couldnt afford a motel pitched tents at this campsite not to far away. This guy drove his medical supplies truck from his work and parked it on the side of a hill and was filling ballons... The truck was on a crazy angle and looked like it was gonna roll over any second... so this other guy goes and buys 2 baloons. He huffs one down... drops to his knees and starts screaming "Pink Floyd!!!!!" at the top of his lungs... at 4:30 AM... He did it for about 2 full minutes until this black dog jumped on him and he started freeking out.

He huffs one down... drops to his knees and starts screaming "Pink Floyd!!!!!" at the top of his lungs... at 4:30 AM... He did it for about 2 full minutes until this black dog jumped on him and he started freeking out.

A "black dog", eh? Sounds like a Zeppelin vs. Floyd rivalry going on right before your eyes...

Me at my firsh phish show, darien lake 97

me: "what song is this"

dude: "col. forbin's"

me: "ascent or descent"

for some reason i thought it was good idea to have an accurate setlist, considering I really didn't know a few songs (fukny bitch, ya mar, camel walk, etc)