Jambands.ca

Matrix: Reloaded Reviewed

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I went to the movies yesterday to see X2 for the first time, and to my surprise South Keys Cinemas in Ottawa was starting to show the Matrix:Reloaded last night.

There wasn't really much hesitation at this point, and in true fanboy fashion I bought tickets for both X2 and the Matrix back-to-back.

X2 was really good. You can tell they had a bigger budget this time around. The story basically focussed on Wolverine, as Prof.X and Cyclops play minor roles in this one. A nice cameo by Colossus had me marking out like a 14-year old comic collector...

Now. Forget everything I just said.

Matrix kicks the shit. Perhaps one of the best action movies I have ever seen, but make no mistake, you REALLY need to have your thinking cap on for this one. I would suggest seeing this movie completely sober the first time if you want to understand what the hell is happening. I was, and I had trouble wrapping my brain around the plot. This ain't no Jackie Chan type action flic. There is TONS of deep philosophy that will run circles around you if you're not paying attention.

I won't ruin anything, but this movie is a definite must-see if you fit into any of the following categories:

1- Liked the first one

2- Enjoy sci-fi

3- Enjoy special effects

4- Have a strange fascination with Keanu

5- Enjoy seeing women in catsuits

I'm glad you spotted some intelligence in the plot.

I've read a couple of shitty articles mentioning that while the action and SF/X are killer, there is a weak plot.

I guess the critics were drunk.

I know that these filmmakers have a very very deep take on reality to the extent that most people may not be able to get it...especially if they are religious-folk.

I also expect that the story will span into the third, so I wouldn't be quick to judge this episode on it's own.

Guest Low Roller

The reviewers are obviously not scholars if they think there is a weak plot.

Sit back and enjoy the fight scenes but you MUST pay attention when people are talking, it is the only way things will make sense.

The plot is in the words, not the actions.

Guest Low Roller

I draw many parallels between the Star Wars and the Matrix trilogies.

Just like Star Wars, the first Matrix movie was a self-contained movie that introduced all the main characters, and was a suitable self-contained story with an ending that hint at a sequel, but was not necessary for the overall plot.

By the time they announced a sequel, they made it clear that the series would be a trilogy giving them much leeway to leave the second movie open-ended.

I think a lot of movie goers would like to see a conclusive ending to a movie rather than a cliff-hanger ending, but you can't deny the current trend for movies towards a more episodic like approach such as Lord of The Rings, the new Star Wars trilogy, The Matrix, and X-Men. And just like any episodic situation, you want the viewer to start drolling for the next installment of the movie as soon as the credits hit.

I think The Matrix:Reloaded did just that.

OKay, here's my two cents:

I did NOT enjoy this movie, and it's not because I am dim-witted and cannot "understand" the philosphical references in Reloaded. The effects were great - the movie looks great, but the plot did NOT suck me in like the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well bouche and I saw it last night and we both LOVED it!

I did miss the naivity the neo had in the first one. I enjoyed watching him find out about the Matrix and his powers, but I remember walking into the theatre thinking "Okay, now neo knows he's the one, he knows his powers, let's see what he's going to do with them!" And I wasn't disappointed.

I loved all the kung fu scenes, the special effects were incredible as always. Nothing groundbreaking, just building on the effects used in the first one. Lots more playing with editing speed and angles.

I wondered why it was so controversial that the Matrix Reloaded was rated R. Of course it would be! It was so completely obvious that it should be that I can't believe people were shocked by that news. I think everyone involved in making the movie knew exactly what the rating would be. Lots of sex, nudity and violence! My kind of movie!

To sum up the film, I would say it is Matrix meets, Attack of the Clones meets Superman meets Love Story.

Can't wait for #3!

Last night, my enthusiasm reminded me of sitting in the theatre watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time.

It was a very fun movie! I'm glad the next one is due out in November. You can't have a cliffhanger that makes you wait a couple of years. Now it feels more like a season finale.

Although, after #3 comes out, I'm going to want more.

I too saw the movie last night and have some thoughts.

First of all, I'm a sucker for anything I see in a movie that I can use in a classroom. Hello, philosophy unit. Movie number one deals with the classic "What is reality" Part Deux serves up "What is the nature of control?" with a dash of fate and destiny analysis. For one, I DUG the philosophical side of things. Did you notice the back-handed insult aimed directly at the audience by the Architect? That made me perk up even more. Bring it on you metaphysical mofo!

Believe it or not, MY complaint was with the special effects. Not with the quality, as it stands some the best to date. No, my complaint is with the lack of restraint with the massive budget. It was , IMO, gratuitous {sp?} The thing that made the first so special was the effects. If you drag out the action and overuse the effects it loses it's special nature.

However, I will see this again, maybe even in the theatres in an attempt to unravel the mystery and to fully assimilate the script before the third one hits.

I to was totally thinking of Star Wars while I was watching this movie. I can't pin down the simularities, but I was seeing this movie as the Empire of the matrix.

All in all I thought it was ok, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first one. I dunno, something just seemed to be missing. I think as Scottie mentioned, Gratuitious is a good word for it.

I am surprised to hear that the effects are considered nothing groundbreaking. The fighting scenes were similar yes to the first one.

However the car chase scene left me wondering several times, "how did they do that?" I don't think I ever noticed blue screen, or CG in that scene (yes in the smiths vs neo scene CG was super noticeable - but not the car chase scene).

I consider that the most impressive action scene I have ever witnessed. Blew my mind.

My only complaint was the smiths vs neo fight scene was really long.

Phred

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

First of all, I'm a sucker for anything I see in a movie that I can use in a classroom. Hello, philosophy unit. Movie number one deals with the classic "What is reality"

Have you ever read/used anything by Philip K. Dick? Books like "The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch" and the movie "Blade Runner" (based on the novel, "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"), like a lot of Dick's work, deal with questions of reality.

And for a chilling look at drugs, read A Scanner Darkly. The main character in this book is an undercover narc. The problem is that, due to police corruption, he makes his reports to his superiors in secret, so any potentially corrupt superiors won't find out his name/identity and set him up to be killed. Of course, this gives an undercover narc a problem, because his assumed identity would be easy to spot: it's the one person he doesn't report on. As a result, the narc reports on everybody in his circle of friends/users, including his assumed identity (in a third-person kind of way). And the drug his assumed identity deals, which he takes in massive quantities, has a nasty side-effect: it splits your personality two-for-one...

(As chilling as the story is, the scary part is the author's afterword, in which he lists those who were killed or damaged by drug use...including himself.)

Aloha,

Brad

The Smiths vs. Mr. Anderson fight scene was probably to me the most obvious use of CG.

I noticed that most of the time, we were watching CG versions of neo and the smiths. It was mostly noticeable in the 'bullettime' spins and I thought it was amazing how they were able to render in such detail. The big screen can sure show it off.

Scotty, you'll have to point out to me what you meant with the insult from the Architect.

Archived