Jambands.ca

S-W Ontario slang variations

Calamity Jane

So, I just learned that a joint (or remains of a joint) can be called a "smengy." What other terms have you heard used?

what about slang for underwear? It wasn't until I hooked up with Dave that I first heard the term "skivvies" -- I think that's defintiely a SW Ontscario thang. I've also heard "gotchies"

I know lots of families develop their own slang (euphemisms) for the body's "naughty bits", so tell us what you use and who coined the term for ya. In my case, from my NS relatives, a little boy's privates was his "birdie", but for a man, the more macho "bird" was used ;) For a girl, the very dated expression "down there" was used.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha ha! Good thread potential here Deb! I must say, I'd never heard smengy either...until this morning. I also recently heard the term "left-handed cigarette" which I found to be utterly hilarious for some reason. "White sticks" is also quite common with my friends and family.

As for undergarments, nothing to original or weird here. "Gitch" is probably the only term I've ever used that puzzled someone. Now I stick to good 'ol "panties". ;)

I'm from an Irish Catholic family, so needless to say, private parts were never discussed! I'm 25 and have never even talked to my Mom about sex (or "foh foh foh" as Miz G likes to say). :: Not that I mind. That's a conversation I would certainly pass on. I have enough good broads and gay male friends to discuss my debauchery with. :P

Does anyone know about the prevalence of BTs outside Ontario borders? Does it happen?

Nope! Never come across it in my travels. When I lived in NoCal my neighbours were blown away by my Canuck boyfriend and my cookin' skills. Hot knives weren't real big down there either. Actually, hardly anyone rolled "white sticks" anymore as there was so much sweet glass all around. I missed them though. They can be more social than 6 bong hits in a row. :P

Glad that "hella" never really caught on in Onscario. Ick! SO overdone, just like the kids that bust out "random" every 5 fu©king seconds these days. [color:"purple"] GOSH!!!

I have once, ever, met a person from BC who knew about BTs from back home, but he called them "braineaters". (I dunno, I might have gone with "lungeaters" myself, but I'm just a cat...) He also didn't do them often because he rarely saw the necessary ingredient on that coast.

"Two Four" ::

Ha ha ha! I tried that once in Pennsylvania. Didn't get me too far.

Ditto on the lack of black on the west coast though. Boooo! I was at a Kimock concert at the Warfield once and caught a whif of that sweet, dark nectar. That made my night just as much as the wicked tunes did! It reminded me of my home, sweet home.

I first heard the term 'pressies' in Southern O.

Me too, but I heard it from an Ottawa kid who shall remain nameless (I believe the exact quote was "I don't want your dirty Southern Ontario pressies, I'll stick to my molly").

you can have a smengy (sh-men-hard g-ee) of anything

aha... so no logical connection to the Shmengy Brothers of SCTV. Sounds like it might be a regional variation of "smidgen" perhaps.

Now where are all those references to our "naughty bits" -- I really made this post for its potential smut factor ;)

i can't stand hearing people say half quarter. it sounds so dumb! what, can't you do fractions or something? fu©k! ;)

but for my bits i've always used twat or snatch

guys bits are dick, sack, bag, nuts, meat and veg (thank-you austin)

or for both you can always use the tame "crotch" if you're in sensitive company.

one bit of regional slang that i am aware of is that americans usually say fifth grade (or whatever number) and canadians say grade five. also, in BC they have an acronym for single mother on welfare; SMOW, which rhymes with snow.