Jambands.ca

S-W Ontario slang variations

Calamity Jane

Meggo:

I believe that the correct plural for having more than one of these is "having several beer". The only time you would say "beers" would be if you are referring to different kinds of beer; eg. "he had one glass of Guinness, two glasses of Molson Ex, and two glasses of Smithwicks", therefore "he had three beers".

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the term "nuts" also refering to a woman's chest, but only in Hamilton (Check out the Nuts on her).

In Thunder Bay Stag & Doe's are known as Shags.

I've also heard some people refer to the Boonies (as in you live in the Boonies) as the Pickies.

Note: I'm not sure on any of the spelling here except "Nuts".

For what it's worth, I also say "beers", and I've done so knowing it's wrong for years.

I challenge you on this, sir. ;)

Most dictionaries refer to 'beer' as the singular, and 'beers' as the plural. Yeah, I'll admit it, I was lame enough to check ... But it's regional, and in many places in Canada, it seems that 'beer' is an acceptable or even standard plural form and 'beers' apparently sounds hickish.

To my (Ontario) ears, something like "it took about eight beer before the tequila seemed like a good idea" just sounds like crazy talk. (But not as crazy as, say, calling breasts "nuts") ::

Moose, everywhere I've been in BC called a twelve of beer a case and a 2-4 a flat. Where in BC did you hear it the other way? I've been called on calling 3.5 grams of herb an eighth and a half-quarter, it depends on where in Ontario you are... I also say beers... Saying beer for multiple beers (as in "I had about 12 beer last night") sounds far too hickish to me...

Oh, and in Kingston, ON, A LOT of people get offended at being called a goof. Apparently a goof, when you're in jail, is a term for a child molester... I guess the high concentration of penitenteries and jails in Kingston has led to this offensive interpretation of the word...

eastcoast slang

a case - is 12 beers. you don't know how many time I've someone to grab me a case of beer and they show up with a 12 pack.

a flat - a 24 beers here.

a flat - is also a one level apartment

they say power or lights not hydro out here.

they sell weed buy the gram, no one knows what a eighth or a quarter is.

a donair - is some sort of meat with a kinda spicy pudding sauce on a peta. i've never had one but i have had the sauce.

they have pepperoni in vending machines.

I could go on and on.

hey you [color:"purple"] tools put these highly disturbing images in your own "my hunka hunka burnin man-love" thread, please!!! ;)

back to slang -- Del, are/were HOAGIES still a popular late-night munchie food when you were in Kingston? That's the only place I ever heard a sub called a Hoagie -- and the name never added to its appeal factor!