Jambands.ca

Good Vibes for Neil Young...

PassedOutGuy

Was hoping this was an April Fool's post. Damn. Ok, cranking all the dials on the Mega-GoodVibe generator to 10.

[edit to add:] I think they tend to be fatal only when they've gone undetected and erupt, Bokonon. This seems to be pre-emptive surgery to avoid that happening. The article suggests this was a scheduled operation and that he's expected to make a full recovery.

no, i was thinking it was a mean joke on his part.

edit to add: i was thinking that neil had finally succumbed to the media machine and was doing this as a publicity stunt relating to today's date and how the junos are in winnepeg.

but no, neil is still my god ::

big time healing vibes for sure...my goodness...i wonder if he will be playing the junos then still...oh well, as long as he gets better...jeepers, i DO know how the catholics feel.

It says in the article about the Juno's.

He won't be playing unfortunatley,I even know some folks who were going to Winnipeg mainly to see Neil.

Rock legend Neil Young recovering from surgery after brain aneurysm (Canadian Press)

ANGELA PACIENZA

WINNIPEG (CP) - Rock legend Neil Young) was recovering Friday from surgery to correct a brain aneurysm that has forced him to cancel his appearance at the Juno Awards.

His doctors said he's expected to make a "total recovery." The news cast a pall on this year's Junos, which were organized around the attendance of Winnipeg's biggest musical export. The normally reclusive Young was scheduled to kick off Sunday's show.

"I'm really disappointed that I won't be able to make it to Winnipeg," said Young in a statement from his hospital bed at New York's Weill Cornell Medical Centre.

"I grew up there and was really looking forward to the show as well as spending some time with my old friends."

While performing with the Pretenders at an event two weeks ago in New York, Young experienced some "vision problems," explained Steve Waxman, a spokesman for Young's label Warner Music Canada.

An MRI scan revealed an aneurysm.

Rather than having the surgery immediately, Young, 59, spent the next week in Nashville recording a future project.

Tuesday's procedure was "treated successfully" and he's expected to make a full recovery, said Dr. Pierre Gobin, director of interventional neuroradiology at the hospital.

"Mr. Young had a dangerous brain aneurysm and was treated successfully by the minimally invasive neuroradiology team," said Gobin in a statement.

"He is now resting comfortably . . . but we strongly recommend that he not travel for several days."

Juno producers were scrambling to rejig Sunday's show after learning the news late Friday.

"Our thoughts are with Mr. Young tonight as he recuperates in New York. Of course, we are disappointed that he is unable to attend Sunday's Juno Awards," said Melanie Berry, president of the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

The show sold out in a record 16 seconds, with many Winnipeggers eager to see the singing icon live on stage. He hasn't performed in the city since 1996.

Securing Young for the show was a major coup as Young has always made it a point to avoid awards shows and commercially-minded music gatherings. After attending the Junos in 1982, where he was inducted into Canada's Music Hall of Fame, Young said he wasn't "really big on awards shows" and would only attend the event again if it was held in Winnipeg.

Young still hopes to perform at the Junos another year, said Waxman.

"He's pretty sure he's going to make a full recovery and hopes that he can get a rain check to come to the show some other time," said Waxman.

Juno celebrities were surprised by the news, and said Young's presence will be missed.

"That's terrible," said Blue Rodeo singer Jim Cuddy. "I'm glad he's making a full recovery."

Singer-songwriter Sarah Harmer was saddened by the news, but said there is still plenty of talent to showcase during the awards show.

"I'm psyched to see Feist and Billy Talent and Sum-41 and k.d. lang and The Tragically Hip," she said.

Toronto-born Young moved to Winnipeg with his mother in the mid-1960s. He lived in the city for five years, a period many consider his formative music years. It was then that he found his love of the stage, playing in bands such as the Squires.

Some of his best-known songs include Heart of Gold, Cinnamon Girl and Rockin' In The Free World.

We'll have to play a song or two tonight to send out some positive healing vibes for Neil.

We should have an "every band currently playing include some Neil in the setlist" thing going. I'm no believer in petitionary prayer, but you can't knock the good vibe quality of that. And who knows, maybe Neil's a secret Jambands lurker... (or not!).

But I expect he already knows everybody's rooting for him, which is good. Get better, Neil!

We'll have to play a song or two tonight to send out some positive healing vibes for Neil.

We should have an "every band currently playing include some Neil in the setlist" thing going. I'm no believer in petitionary prayer, but you can't knock the good vibe quality of that. And who knows, maybe Neil's a secret Jambands lurker... (or not!).

But I expect he already knows everybody's rooting for him, which is good. Get better, Neil!

indeed. and if we play them badly, he will have no choice but to get better and redeem his catalogue :)