Jambands.ca

Acid Jazz

SmoothedShredder

Hey Everyone,

Just looking for some education into who's a solid Acid Jazz artist that works in and around Toronto. I'm really getting turned on to the scene, and see how it's mashing into the Jam world, and would like to get more aquainted with the who's who of the live acid jazz scene, and I also really wanted to write a really long, rambiling sentance, so that when you read it, you'll forget what it was when I started: Acid Jazz!!! Thanks for your reply.

~W

Moonstarr was big a while ago. And LAL was doing some interesting work around Toronto too. Don't know these days though. Acid Jazz is really just improv trip/hip-hop anyways so DITC (dig in the crates). Try Ninja Tune stuff.

Hate to say it but HMV on Yonge always had a great selection in the bassment.

While they don't play anymore, One Step Beyond was a great Toronto acid jazz band. You may be framiliar with a certain keboard player, Jamie Shields who went on to form the New Deal. You can probably still find their albums around town at places like Ed's Record World.

Actually, Ed's has an actual Acid Jazz section, while not really big, it's full of gold!

Right on... thanks for all the leads... anyone know of and new New Deals? Not that I wouldn't like to deal with the real deal, but its a small and special place we are talking about and I don't want my patrons to be packed liked sardines. Hehe. But a new New Deal just might work. I just love the New Deal. okay... I gotta stop this. :P

~W

Pick up some of the compilations from Ubiquity Records (greyboy allstars ,Karl Denison ,robert Walters)there a series of disc's sounding like ,What's Cook'n , this Cookin , Best of Cookin', ..This series of discs will shine a very bright light on the Acid Jazz seen before it went all ravy digital like , there is some proraming in the tunes but for the most part it's some damn fine musicians.I know it doesn't exactly help you in the T.O. seen but very good listening.

Lots of people seem to have a problem with the term Acid Jazz. I dunno it seems to work for me. Whenever I hear of something being described as acid jazz, it usually ends up sounding exactly like what I was expecting. Acid Jazz seems to be a pretty broad category, which can encompass funk, hip-hop, electronic, ambient, dub, rock, and all flavours of jazz. I'm not sure what the criteria should be to be condisered acid jazz, but as far as I'm concerned, any fusion of the above genres is good enough for me!

Here's what AllMusic.com has to say:

The music played by a generation raised on jazz as well as funk and hip-hop, Acid Jazz used elements of all three; its existence as a percussion-heavy, primarily live music placed it closer to jazz and Afro-Cuban than any other dance style, but its insistence on keeping the groove allied it with funk, hip-hop, and dance music. The term itself first appeared in 1988 as both an American record label and the title of an English compilation series that reissued jazz-funk music from the '70s, called "rare groove" by the Brits during a major mid-'80s resurgence. A variety of acid jazz artists emerged during the late '80s and early '90s: live bands such as Stereo MC's, James Taylor Quartet, the Brand New Heavies, Groove Collective, Galliano, and Jamiroquai, as well as studio projects like Palm Skin Productions, Mondo Grosso, Outside, and United Future Organization.