Jambands.ca

The Great CD Purchase: April 2005

shainhouse

CDs are expensive in the UK and I just celebrated my birthday, so the influx of cash and cheapness of CDs in Canada created the GREAT CD PURCHASE!!!

I got today:

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - 'ST'

Ben Harper & Blind Boys - 'Live @ The Apollo'

Kathleen Edwards - 'Back To Me'

Jack Johnson - 'In Between Dreams'

K-os - 'Joyful Rebellion'

Uncle Tupelo - 'Anthology 89/93'

Mars Volta - 'Frances The Mute'

what a day! anyone else go on a binge lately?

Matt Mays & El Torpedo - 'ST'

That is nuts, I just logged in to reply to the "Favourite songs by Canadian artists" thread and talk about Matt Mays et al. His own s/t disc is fantastic, and this new one with the band is incredible (any more adjectives? awesome? stellar?). I really get the feeling that this is a group of guys that will continue to keep it real and make great records for years to come. That, and I love when a band is so proud of their gear that they include a picture of all of it in the album insert. I've seen them live at least 10 times, for a band from NS they've been to Toronto a lot in the past 2-3 years. I kept missing them at the Casbah though; I went twice only to find out that they were playing the early show and had finished or almost finished by the time I got there.

Anyway, I recognize a lot of the tunes on this new record from having heard them live, so it's clear that they really saved up a bunch of winners and slowly made the best album they could, and it shows. My favourites are "Travellin'" and "What Are We Gonna Do Come The Month of September", but I'm sure as I keep listening I'll develop new favourites.

Some great choices Shain. The new Kathleen Edwards is also kick-ass, I think she's awesome. Haven't gotten myself a copy yet but I've heard it a bunch of times down at CFMU, I've been spinning "Independant Thief" on my show.

right on. im pretty hyped for manuva's show and its still a month away.

the new cd just came out here a week ago, i think.

it, with his previous releases have held steady rotation in my cd player lately.

the handsome boy modeling school cd was released last fall, but the show is next week!

lookin' forward to it, hoping the roster isnt a pared down version of the US tour.

the border can be a bitch.

Bedouin Soundclash-just bought it, hasnt left my cd player, I love this cd! Can't believe i never got exposed to these guys preiously

I also bought Jack Johnson "In Between Dreams"....i gotta say its ok, but i wasnt super impressed it wont be a regualr play in my stereo!

other than that i havent gotten any new music lately really at all, besides the cd Stone MOuntain sent me in the mail.."All That" which is quite impressive i must add,everyone down here seems to be diggin it when it gets thrown in the stereo while havin some Pops B4 a show!!

I bought the whole Burt Neilson catalog at the show plus two other "side project" disks including the bass players "solo" album by bass player Jeremy Little called 'Olmer'. (Thanks Giggles) It's awsome. Just cut and paste this thread into the FIVE DISC CHANGER thread. Olmer is awsome... awsome... awsome. Yeah that's about right.

~W

the handsome boy modeling school cd was released last fall, but the show is next week!

lookin' forward to it, hoping the roster isnt a pared down version of the US tour.

the border can be a bitch.

hey craig, i may be coming to that show! it depends on the financial flow but i will be up in ptbo at that point, and i know theres a car of friends heading down for it. i've only heard a few tracks off that new album but it sounds pretty good.