Jambands.ca

Are you cubed skank?

Deeps

Then I guess this would be the sort of moment you might relish.

They used to have something like this organised on Bay St. every year - give some money to charity, and then beat the tar out of some recalcitrant bit of electronic office equipment.

office%20space.jpg

[Edit to add: Hey - what happened to the picture? I'll have to assume you know the scene I mean.]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i cubed? yes and no. i do officey things for money, i spend 5/7ths of every week wishing all my time away (where is lunch, where is weekend, where is the end of the day), i hate most of the people i have to deal with, and i do all of this because it is convenient, not because i have any real driving passion for it.

on the other hand, i do not have to suffer through every day in a human cubicle farm. i have my own office with real windows that open, NO fluorescent lighting, a door that leads out into fresh air (has a screen on it & all!), i don't have to wear "office clothes", and cold beer is often handed out in the afternoons. i work with incredibly funny, completely awesome people, and i've been working here for so long that i can complete my job tasks very quickly (and therefore have time for other things, like yelling at people on the internet ::).

what i don't like, is the fact this is all just something i can stand doing for money, not at all what i wanna be when i grow up. (i don't know what that is yet). i don't like that it sucks enough that my attitude towards it all is "well, i'd hate any other job i could get at least as much as this one, and probably more". the problem is, anything i do want to be when i grow up, is not something that pays enough money to live.

*sigh*

but i know i don't have it that bad. no one here uses phrases that make me want to kill them (i.e. "at the end of the day", "on the same page", insert irritating corporate-speak mumbo jumbo of your choice here), and while we are very professional when it comes to how we deal with our customers, it's not a stupid corporate environment (i could never work someplace that has "team leaders", project managment goal setting meetings, and all that other complete bullsh!t.)

so yeah.

i'm in sort of a cubicle farm situation, that happens to be in a better location. i deal with it by procrastinating, pretending it's not happening, and hanging out here, while i wait for that winning lottery ticket. ::

i could never work someplace that has "team leaders", project managment goal setting meetings, and all that other complete bullsh!t.

Hmmm

team leaders - check

project managment - check

goal setting meetings - check

and all that other complete bullsh!t - check

Don't ever apply for a job at Lavalife... I've been here a little over a year and a half now and I've already had to set up my goals for the year on four separate occasions, complete with bi-monthly goals progress meetings. Even though I told my 'team leader' that it is complete corporate bullsh!t! If I do complete all my goals I'm eligible for a couple percent "merit increase" on my annual review. As far as I'm concerned that's hardly worth putting in any extra effort. I'll give ya my goals:

to arrive each day monday through friday on time, put in a full day so I can collect my pay in a timely manner, in order to facilitate my way of living. Further goals are to stay below the radar and not get hasseled by the man. Take that!

I wanna work for the kind of place where you'd get your ass kicked if you asked someone if they'd set their goals yet.

what i don't like, is the fact this is all just something i can stand doing for money, not at all what i wanna be when i grow up. (i don't know what that is yet).

I hear ya PP. My Mom always said that you should try to remember what it was you loved doing when you were 6 years old and that was a good indication of what you should be when you "grow up". My career as a butterfly doctor/Jerry Lee Lewis has yet to take off, but if I look at what these two things represent to me I have a better idea of what I should be doing right now.

So what did you like doing when you were a kid?

When I was a kid I liked playing outside, building things, and arts and crafts.

That still holds pretty true today.

My job is to builds things, albeit on the computer, websites. So I do kind of like doing that. But the corporate evironment makes it miserable. And now that spring has finally arrived all I wanna do is go outside and play. :)

Being one of the Network Admin's for a school board is very cool. I have 2 offices at the high school and one office at each of the 9 elementary schools that I am in charge of. Our school board is geographically huge so I am 150km away from my manager at all times (it's nice not having somebody looking over your shoulder all day). I work 35 hours/week (30hours/week in the summer and get paid for 35) and work with very cool people.

The question I just love hearing the most is "What is does Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin mean?" ::

Being one of the Network Admin's for a school board is very cool...Our school board is geographically huge so I am 150km away from my manager at all times (it's nice not having somebody looking over your shoulder all day).

I work for the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic board and it does have it's perks. Sadly, being 150 km away from my boss is not one of them. That's not far enough anyway. :: I'm really looking forward to working Monday to Thursday in the summer though (and still getting paid for Friday). That's probably the one thing that's really keeping me here. I'll hopefully be able to bail out on my contract after that. :P This place is sucking out my will to live.

I'm not cubed....pretty square, but not cubed. I'm a substitute teacher and I love it......as long as I get called!

PP, I hear what you're saying about the office and that it's good because no stress etc. but that it's not what you want to do when you "grow-up". And that all the things you want to do don't pay enough. Well, I think you, and everybody who is stuck in a job they don't want or love, should read the book;

"You'll See It, When You Believe It" - by Dr Wayne Dyer

(I recommend any and all of his books.....he makes life seem so simple - which it is - but sometimes it's good to get a refresher). It's got me thinking a whole different way about life, jobs etc...

well kaidy mae, let's see... when i was six, i liked dancing (especially ballet), playing musical instruemts (violin, cello and piano), dressing up like a princess or a movie star, playing outside,being on the beach and using my imagination for whatever crazy whim, game or direction it led me in. my career aspirations included, but were not limited to:

-dancing on a stage in pointe shoes, a tutu, and a crown (score! goal acheived :D)

-being one of the price is right girls (the themed showcase showdowns would be my specialty). i actually spent many hours practicing this craft.... ::

-a grocery store cashier (yup, did that too!)

-gas station attendant -- so i could smell gas and play with a squeegie all day

-a teacher (maybe one day i will actually do this.... although they don't seem to make a lot of money and they're always on strike ;) )

- a princess, movie star or a bevery hills housewife.

what i would pull from this (other than a split personality ;) haha) is that i need a variety of things to do in the day that involve a good mix of brain power and working with my hands too, all the while getting to use my imagination.

so in other words, i guess i will have to wait until i win the lottery after all to have all those palace princes prom dress dance parties at my beach house, where you can win prizes and have your windshields squeegied. ::

thanks for mentioning that kaidy, going back to the world at 6 years old is a good place to start from anything. :D

and blair!!!!!!!! thanks for that book tip, i'm going to have to check that out.

i work in a kind of round room. not really cubed. it really can suck though. people are always putting me down, making fun of the way i talk, trying to charge me with weird crimes in even weirder countries, making jokes at the expense of my feelings. i gots cheney trying to get me to 'work out' with him and his 'exclusive' gym. ms rice stalking me with late night phone calls and accidentally running into me everywhere i go, all the while sitting in a chair that has a bunch of mayonnaise stains from the last guy that worked here.

I was always fascinated with maps as a kid, my Grandpa remembers telling me when I was 5 that I would grow up to make maps... And now I'm 25 and have been mapping professionally for over 4 years.

I work in a rhombus kinda, it's open on one end and has a point. 2 large almost floor-to-ceiling windows looking in different directions, right under the glidepath for the airport so I can plane-watch all day. It's pretty sweet.

AD

-being one of the price is right girls (the themed showcase showdowns would be my specialty). i actually spent many hours practicing this craft.... ::

Oh my gawd, PP, I did/wanted the same thing -- some day we'll have to have a show-down girl!

I always enjoyed your old Drew Carey signature line (perhaps you can re-post it so I don't misquote it) because it rings so true for so many of us.

While most of us may never experience the perfection of doing what we absolutley love for our paycheck, sanity (if not bliss) is found by keeping alive that part of ourselves that is NOT nurtured in the work space and MAKING TIME for those things/people/pursuits.

As long as you have decent co-workers (or at least one), you can survive just about anywhere. I do really feel for folks though who feel very isolated from any like-minded people in their work-space.

what I liked most about this thread was how people talked about coping with the 9-5. How come no one else though admitted to strangulation scenarios playing in one's mind while dealing with a$$hole bosses/clients/students?

but in closing, PP, I also cannot wait for the day until you...

win the lottery after all to have all those palace princes prom dress dance parties at my beach house, where you can win prizes and have your windshields squeegied. ::

Wow, reading this thread has really made me realize how much I truly love my job. I complain about it sometimes, and the sauce factor is pretty high but at least I can come home and feel like I made a difference in someone's life at the end of the day. I feel bad for all of you that are trapped in thankless cubical jobs (my boyfriend is stuck in one, so I've seen your pain), just keep trying to find your bliss or just wait it out for PP to win the lottery.

Right now, I'd kill for a job in a cubicle.

I have two university degrees and two part-time jobs, requiring me to work 60 hours per week lifting heavy boxes in cold temperatures. I've been unsuccessfully looking for full-time work for sixteen (16) months now. Apparently, I'm over-qualified or under-qualified to do just about anything. Both of the companies I currently work for advertise their jobs on signs on the side of the road.

Who's got my heady job? Or any job, really? (First peson to recommend Monster, Workopolis, or www.jobs.gc.ca gets a punch in the head... I'm on those sites all the time.)

How come no one else though admitted to strangulation scenarios playing in one's mind while dealing with a$$hole bosses/clients/students?

Oh yeah! I make people's heads explode all the time (at least in my head). Big meetings are great you can just go around the table:

kaboom! ooops your headed exploded!

You get the idea...

It's a little thing, but it's a nice thing :)

Right now, I'd kill for a job in a cubicle.

I have two university degrees and two part-time jobs, requiring me to work 60 hours per week lifting heavy boxes in cold temperatures. I've been unsuccessfully looking for full-time work for sixteen (16) months now. Apparently, I'm over-qualified or under-qualified to do just about anything. Both of the companies I currently work for advertise their jobs on signs on the side of the road.

Who's got my heady job? Or any job, really? (First peson to recommend Monster, Workopolis, or www.jobs.gc.ca gets a punch in the head... I'm on those sites all the time.)

Hamilton, what are you degree's in? In my experience it's much easier to get a good job (or career if you prefer) with a diploma from a community college. I have both (degree and 2 college dimploma's) and the college diploma's are much more beneficial in the workplace (for most people). If you can find a career with what you took in univeristy all the better, but the other option is good as well.

I have a double major B.A. in History and English, and a B.Ed. I really didn't enjoy teaching, but now I am considering going back, because I can't keep working like this. I agree with your assessment of a college diploma being more useful, though.

And now, having just checked my e-mail, I have been rejected for yet another job - this one as an adult education teacher with a private company that does retraining through WSIB. They've been stringing me along for seven weeks now, and I'd been to three interviews. At least I had an interview, though - normally I'm found to be overqualified at the point that my resume is submitted.

Motherfu©ker.