Jambands.ca

Blues Traveler Anyone???

Marky

I coincidently was just talking about how much I missed Blues Traveler yesterday. I have seen Traveler seven times but not since 1999 actually that a solo John Popper show, I mean 1998.

They have not been back to Toronto since they headlined their final HORDE Tour at the Molson Amphitheatre in 1998.

I would certainly make it to that gig.

I love Blues Traveler. I have seen them a lot over the years with both the old lineup (w/Bob Sheehan) and the new lineup (w new bassist and a keys player). Both lineups are great and put an an entertaining show.

If you get the chance to see them check it out. Unfortunately I haven't caught them since the summer of 03, but that was a fun show. If they come near you it is worth the price of admission.

I'd go and see them, but not in Toronto. I'm sick of the "stand still, hey you're touching my arm, you're too tall, hey stop dancing!" crowds in the big city. Not to mention the 6$ beers and no naked ladies! It seems like people are there to be seen rather than to have fun at a concert.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, but T.O. shows are less fun than anywhere else.

2 cents.

I'd go and see them, but not in Toronto. I'm sick of the "stand still, hey you're touching my arm, you're too tall, hey stop dancing!" crowds in the big city. Not to mention the 6$ beers and no naked ladies! It seems like people are there to be seen rather than to have fun at a concert.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, but T.O. shows are less fun than anywhere else.

2 cents.

I think that really depends on the venue. For example Kool Haus your guranteed a bad time. Opera House usually isn't too bad though (as long as they've got the sound worked out).

Back to the original question. I probably wouldn't see Blues Traveler. But I'm just one guy...

I've seen BT twice. The first time, Mr. Musicface, bald guy in a blanket, and I stopped in Cleveland to see them on our way to Phish at Deer Creek in 2003. I bought a $13 ticket, which wasn't floor, but the venue was only about half full, so they opened up the floor mid-way through the show, and I got within about 20' of Popper, and had a great time all the way through.

Their set at moe.down last year was loads of fun. No, Blues Traveller are not going to trance you out or scare you the way the Dead or Phish can in their jams, but they're great musicians, and know how to put on a fun show.

If they came to Ottawa, I'd go see them; I might even travel to Montreal or Toronto for just them if the circumstances were right.

Aloha,

Brad

2 cents.

I hear you 100%. I grew up in Toronto and lived downtown last year; there are many people who go out to shows to be seen. I mean, it doesn't happen at every show, but it happens alot. I don't think it's venue-specific either.

The Kool Haus is a cavernous hole worthy of being filled with cement and pushed into the lake. The only time you'll ever enjoy seeing a show there IMHO is when it's not close to sold out. Stage is nice and high, and wide, but when they fill that place it's pretty annoying to navigate. That said, I'm still going to see the Crowes there, I just plan to arrive as early as possible.

I used to love the Opera House, because when I was in high school I went to see moe. there almost every year, they would put on an all ages show. Then I saw a few shows there that were outside of the 'jam scene' and realized that the OH sucks when full, too. The sightlines are sh!t, they've got those little staircases on either side to get down to the floor. Saw my first Mule show there; loved it but had to watch from the back like a sucker.

I really like Lee's Palace, because it seems to me that no matter how full it is, you can get yourself to the middle level (between the floor and the bar) and since they renovated and raised the stage, the sightlines are great. I was out at the Docks to see a show and thought it was alright, a nicer, newer alternative to the Opera House, but it's way the fu©k out in industrial land, not really accessible by TTC, which is a pain.

Anyway, I could go on, but I'd be highjacking this thread. Marky I still listen to BT, I would see them in Toronto, but not for 50 clams. I know to bring an American act up here these days you're usually going to have to charge 40 a piece, though. I would definately be there for 25, as the price rises I'd have to consider it. Poor student here, dough for shows runs low sometimes. :D

Kool Haus is a terrible venue, but I've witnessed appreciative and noisy crowds there before: Ben Harper ( twice ), Bela Fleck and Ween.

Lee's rarely disappoints and The Opera House is hit or miss, especially if your name is Galactic, you've missed every time.

If they came to Ottawa, I'd go see them; I might even travel to Montreal or Toronto for just them if the circumstances were right.

I went to the ottawa blues in 2001 and Blues traveler played on july 13th(great show!!!)and James brown played the night before.Little feat played on the 15th i think but we couldn't stick around :(.Blues traveler also played the London Blues festival a few years ago( another great show!!),caught one of the harmonica's that he tosses out into the crowd that night!! :: ::

I've seen Blues Traveler a couple of times; both in the early to mid-'90s. The show was always good, although not a crazy jamfest or anything.

I saw John Popper about 2 years ago at a medium-sized bar in Vancouver. I wasn't going to go, because tickets were like 55 bucks and I thought it a little steep for that show, but someone "miracled" me a ticket so I went. I was blown away! The show far exceeded anything I saw BT play years before. It might have been the size of the venue, the crowd, or the fact that I was standing 6 inches from John Popper at his feet; I don't know, but Popper rocked the Commodore Ballroom that night, and I have looked forward to seeing him again ever since.

I went to the ottawa blues in 2001 and Blues traveler played on july 13th(great show!!!)and James brown played the night before.Little feat played on the 15th

Don't forget Ike Turner and Wilson Pickett played on the 14th. I enjoyed Blues Traveler, but I thought it was the weakest of the 4 shows mentioned.