Jambands.ca

really bad review for Hitchhiker's Guide movie

paisley

thing that worries me is the that reviewer says:

To put it bluntly, they have cut most of the jokes out. I’m not being metaphorical here, they really have, in a very literal sense, removed the jokes from the story. There are scenes where all we’re left with is the set-up dialogue, there are jokes where we get the feed-line but not the punchline. It’s astounding. Occasionally, the filmmakers have actually bothered replacing the jokes but they have replaced them with really, really pisspoor, unfunny jokes; they have replaced them with stupid playground humour and pointless slapstick.

The one saving grace could be that the film isn't Hollywood. It's an English film, starring mostly British actors. Martin Freeman is from The Office and Bill Nighy was in Shaun Of The Dead. The director was one of the creators of the BBC Ali G Show.

We'll have to wait and see if this film is any good. Ain't It Cool.com will have early sneek reviews soon. Still, I hope this reviewer is clueless.

Martin Freeman

I'm expecting the worst actually, from the trailers I've seen. Maybe the movie should never have been made -- it went through so many false starts and stops and although Adams himself did want a movie version done, he was never happy with any of the possibilities suggested/presented to him.

I have to say again that people are probably better off with the wonderfully brilliant and cheesy DVDs of the original 6 part BBC series and/or the audio recordings, if they want MORE than jsut the awesome read of the book itself.

however, I'd appreciate reviews from those of you who go see it -- I might be able to be talked into seeing it ;)