Jambands.ca

Wisconsin may legalize killing feral cats

StoneMtn

MADISON, Wis. — Fluffy is in the crosshairs in Wisconsin, and cat lovers nationwide are rallying to try to defeat a proposal that could lead to the legalized shooting of stray cats.

Not since an emotional debate in 2000 over the creation of a hunting season for mourning doves has there been so much controversy over the killing of an animal in this state, a place where outdoor traditions run deep.

Death threats have been made against the western Wisconsin firefighter who first proposed that hunters, farmers and others be allowed to kill free-roaming cats to control their population...

Click here for link to full story

i am a cat lover, but always remember how dirty cats are and how much pestilence strays can bring.

i think it will just make owners put collars on their cats when they go outside.

what's so wrong with this new law? is it because it's killing an animal? if so that's a really lame argument against.

There is a big difference between euthanizing an animal, and shooting at one; which may lead to injured animals dragging themselves off to suffer until they die. Euthanasia implies a humane means of bringing death. Do you think that the people who choose to avail themselves of this opportunity to shoot cats are going to be extremely conscientious and ensure that they always put the animal out of its misery quickly?

Regarding your other point, I can foresee a farmer saying, "Well, he had a collar, but I've seen him on my property a lot, so I thought he was a stray. Not my fault." How do you suppose they will bring the family pet back to life when he realizes his "mistake"?

feral cats don't have collars.

feral cats are also different than stray cats.

stray cats have just run away.

feral cats are wild cats

you can always get a new pet cat. the trick is in the legislation - there should be an ammendmant to the bill which requires that owners be reimbursed for the shooting of their pet - vet bills and such.

there might just be a problem with feral cats in that area. 'kill free-roaming cats to control their population, estimated at a million-plus statewide'

that's a lot of cats.

I saw a streched out cat skin in the window of a food store when I was visiting Chinatown in Vancouver... It was definitely a cat, and since it was in the window of the store I'm assuming it was for sale...

Oh, okay. So, when you reported this, being the societally-conscious individual you are, the SPCA told you that this was not contrary to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act?

(I am only presuming that this was your point. Am I wrong and you had some other point to make [or was your post just meant as a point of interest]?)

It was always my understanding that in BC "non-adoptable" animals that are brought into shelters are humanely euthanized via lethal injection; not butchered.

I didn't report it... This was about ten years ago, and I was with my girlfriend and her dad. I pointed it out, and he said something along the lines of Chinatown in Vancouver being a little more authentic than most other cities... You made a point about what is sanctioned in North America... My point is, I saw what I saw... I guess it was "a point of interest", a pretty disgusting point, but just a point regardless...

All I foresee with this is some unlucky 10 year old kids house cat gettin lose and some gun toting dickhead shoots it because it doesn't have a collar.

I understand that feral cats are a problem and one that obviously needs attention although I have no input to what else could be done,I just don't see this being a good idea.

feral cats don't have collars.

feral cats are also different than stray cats.

stray cats have just run away.

feral cats are wild cats

One question Rob,

Explain how a person is going to tell the difference between a stray (one that ran away),a farm cat or a feral cat.

..people have outdoor cats and we all know not all have collars,alot of farms in Wisconsin,farms usually have a cat or two.Not all cats are approachable by strangers,even indoor cats.

I may have 20/20 vision but from 25ft away I bet I could easily miss that collar.

I have two indoor cats,neither wear a collar,no need for it I don't walk em,its also not law.

You make a great point Esau.

There is a duck-hunter parallel. Black ducks are threatened and are not supposed to be shot, yet how many hunters can distinguish a black duck and a mallard in mid-flight? I'd say next to none.

People better get collars for their cats, and the brighter and bigger the better.

People better get collars for their cats, and the brighter and bigger the better.

I guess eh...although I doubt it would help.

My biggest problem with all this isn't so much that feral cats may/will get shot,but that they are proposing that ANYONE will be able to do this.Even with a bright collar I doubt that any charges would arise if some gun toting cat hater will just shoot a cat and claim "I didn't see any collar",either way,be it true or not some person's beloved pet could be dead.

As I mentioned I haven't any solid input for what else can be done,but allowing anyone to just shoot seems a bit much.

you can always get a new pet cat.

Beats, that's probably the most ignorant statement I've ever seen you express on this board. Talk about a shortcut to thinking. Fahk!

1) In case you are unaware, the US already has a pretty alarming incidence of gun violence. I do not understand how condoning the shooting of innocent animals will benefit this present situation.

2) Animals should not have to be euthanized, humanely or otherwise, as a means of controlling irresponsible pet owners. To think that this law will solve any problems is extremely near sighted.

1) In case you are unaware, the US already has a pretty alarming incidence of gun violence. I do not understand how condoning the shooting of innocent animals will benefit this present situation.

2) Animals should not have to be euthanized, humanely or otherwise, as a means of controlling irresponsible pet owners. To think that this law will solve any problems is extremely near sighted.

How is the killing of feral cats in wisconsin going to increase the U.S's gun problem, if anything the gun toting idiots will get their fix on these feral cats and possibly not wanna go shoot up the local tavern or whatnot.

The law to kill the cats, whether you agree with it or not, is definetley a means of controlling the feral cat popultion, obviously, by killing them it is going to decrease the numbers, for you not to think it owuld is "near sighted!"

If they had to take thewse measures the issue must be out of control, i mean i wouldnt want thousands of wild disease carrying cats runnign around my city, not that i'de personally wanna kill them but to each his own!

They shouldn't allow just anyone to shoot the cats, if that is the recourse they are going to take to deal witht hte feral cat population, they should have the proper pest control fficials deal with the cats.