Jambands.ca

Wisconsin may legalize killing feral cats

StoneMtn

They need a state with a big rat problem, is what they need.

Conversely, they could round them all up and take them to old folks' homes.

Hey, maybe Lazlo's right - milk 'em! (I'd avoid the claws while doing that, though).

But fer the love a' Jeebus, don't fekking shoot them! Don't we wreak enough chaos on life on earth as it is? I mean, I know the US needs to train its citizens in the efficient use of firearms so that it can send them all over the world to do the bidding of Dick Cheney and kill all the heathens or die trying, or to be at the ready in church or in school in case some other homocidal maniac comes in wanting to shoot things up but can be held at bay by good citizens packing concealed handguns fully knowledgeable about their use and ready by God to use them, but maybe, just maybe, there's a possibility that other living beings might get a crack at avoiding that whole machinery of gratuitous human bloodlust.

But then, I'd say the same thing about cows too, so never mind; I realise that's not a very persuasive argument. I just wish we didn't feel imbued with a right to be wanton.

How is the killing of feral cats in wisconsin going to increase the U.S's gun problem, if anything the gun toting idiots will get their fix on these feral cats and possibly not wanna go shoot up the local tavern or whatnot.

The anti-gun movement is quickly growing in the wake of Columbine and the thousands of acts of senseless violence that occur in North America every day. I just think this would be a horrible set back. How can you discourage acts of violence against humans and animals yet encourage the shooting of cats? This sounds like another one of StoneMtn's April 1st posts. I wish.

I don't quite understand what you mean by your "get their fix" comment. I wasn't aware that murdering animals was similar to hunger in that once you've had enough you'll simply put the gun/fork down.

The law to kill the cats, whether you agree with it or not, is definetley a means of controlling the feral cat popultion, obviously, by killing them it is going to decrease the numbers, for you not to think it owuld is "near sighted!"

Yes, of course this will get rid of the immediate cat crisis. But until people get their animals fixed this will be an ongoing problem. And not just the problem of "diseased" cats running amok. The bird population in cities is greatly affected by stray/feral cats. I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done. However I believe we need to start with educating people about spaying/neutering their pets and basically being responsible pet owners (this also means finding homes for their animals when they move or simply don't want the burden anymore).

If the cat population is that far out of control, the human factor is largely to blame. Why not try to go about this in a humane way? First get people to register/microchip their pets and have them wear collars. Then animal control could round up cats who are believed to be strays and ensure they are not beloved pets ([color:purple]as easy as they are to replace). If necessary they could be put down in a humane manner. I don't see how an open season on felines in the answer.

I find it strange that Canadians put so much passion in to defending this well all the while not gettin as worked up about the seal clubbing going on by our own people & goverment.

Seems we like to critize the US immensely while avoiding our own cruleties....

Anyway.....just an observation I had.

you can always get a new pet cat. the trick is in the legislation - there should be an ammendmant to the bill which requires that owners be reimbursed for the shooting of their pet - vet bills and such.

[color:purple]yes, a reimbursement would make me feel soooooo much better. throwup.gif

I find it strange that Canadians put so much passion in to defending this well all the while not gettin as worked up about the seal clubbing going on by our own people & goverment.

Seems we like to critize the US immensely while avoiding our own cruleties....

Anyway.....just an observation I had.

I get worked up about all sorts of cruelties. I just figure the US is the canary in the coalmine for where this NA culture of liberal democracy and all its variants and antitheses might head. But you're right; we're creative in our destructiveness too.

I think we should ask Mel Lastman what should be done about all those cats, for instance.

Who's up for a roadtrip to Wisconsin?

I'm talkin a backseat full of booze, thousands of rounds of ammo, a variety of firearms and maybe even some acid.

We'll keep the tails of every cat we plug and whoever gets the most gets to drive back over the border...

gummo.jpg

I'm talkin a backseat full of booze, thousands of rounds of ammo, a variety of firearms and maybe even some acid.

We'll keep the tails of every cat we plug and whoever gets the most gets to drive back over the border...

Oh man,thats bad:D

"Who's up for a roadtrip to Wisconsin?

We'll keep the tails of every cat we plug and whoever gets the most gets to drive back over the border..."

Dude, you me and Bouche did that same trip in the summer of 2001.

this Wisconsin website came up on boing boing today

Don't Shoot The Cat

when I lived in Sault Ste. Marie some of the locals from the area would go out and shoot crows on the weekend, they got paid $2 or something for each crow they brought in... they didn't blink an eye about it as they'd been doing it since they were kids

but you just know someone's house cat is going to get shot leading to someone losin it and goin after the shooter

Edited by Guest

this Wisconsin website came up on boing boing today

Don't Shoot The Cat

when I lived in Sault Ste. Marie some of the locals from the area would go out and shoot crows on the weekend, they got paid $2 or something for each crow they brought in... they didn't blink an eye about it as they'd been doing it since they were kids

but you just know someone's house cat is going to get shot leading to someone losin it and goin after the shooter

Good, just a bunch of dirty Swedes in Wisconsin anyway.

barrrETTTTT!!!

"Yes, of course this will get rid of the immediate cat crisis. But until people get their animals fixed this will be an ongoing problem. And not just the problem of "diseased" cats running amok. The bird population in cities is greatly affected by stray/feral cats. I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done. However I believe we need to start with educating people about spaying/neutering their pets and basically being responsible pet owners (this also means finding homes for their animals when they move or simply don't want the burden anymore). "

feral means wild. these are wild cats that are not supposed to be roaming wild in such numbers.

spaying and neutering will not reduce these populations - only lower the population growth.

sure it's not nice to go around killing living things, but if it's a problem - and nobody's talking about the feral cat problem in WI in this thread - then it's got to be solved.

look at australia's cane toad/rabbit problem.

so as much as it's not nice to shoot these cats, it's quite possibly very necessary. i never thought anybody'd agree with my 'you can always get another pet' sentiment, but if some dirty cat scratched or bit your kid and your child got an infection that required medical assistance, or spread rabies to your and your neighbours' pets, don't you think that would be a more pressing issue than just being more 'humane'?

as far as the chinatown sentiment -

what's so bad about eating cats anyway? we eat pigs and cows and lamb and fish and some people even eat goats. how is this much different than eating rabbit?

spaying and neutering will not reduce these populations - only lower the population growth.

DING! DING! DING!

The growing population is also the issue here. If we are prepared to take drastic measures to decrease the population doesn't it make sense to take proactive measures to eliminate future problems?

P.S. Douglas, you're hilarious!

Exactly. This is what the opposition - or at least one element of it - to the proposal seem to be suggesting: TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release).

Alley Cat Allies Press Release

The problem of course will be convincing the people of Wisconsin that this program is something that they should be willing to pay for. It can't be cheap. Right now, the farmers and others are already killing the cats in order to protect the bird population (misguidedly so, if you believe the feral cat advocates) and livestock.

Interesting to note that even those who are appalled by the idea of making a sport of cat killing are still suggesting that something needs to be done. Few are saying to just leave them alone.

And because the board seems love all things John Paul II ;) -

The Pope & Homeless Cats

(though it isn't about violent feral cats per se)