Jambands.ca

Audio DVD's?

CyberHippie

I currently use a program called Audio DVD Creator to make DVDs containing only the audio track that can be played back on a DVD player. But I use this to master my 24bit audio recordings. I know that you can author 16bit .wav files as a DVD using the program, but they have to be sampled at 48kHz (that is the DVD specification...CDs are at 44.1) so you'd have to up sample before burning.

Well I tried burning a dvd using Audio DVD Creator. I ended up with a dvd full of static. I guess maybe because the wav's I used were from a dead show that was mixed in dts surround. Maybe this only works for standard audio files. Wierd though considering dts is a standard dvd format. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Did you resample the .wavs to 48kHz? Static usually arises when the actual sample or bit rate is not what it really is... so if you try to burn a 44.1khz wav file as 48, it won't playback since it thinks it is really 48, when in fact, its really 44.1...confused?!?! I don't know how DTS surround is encoded in the audio stream, so maybe that contributed as well.

for me though, the point is to have 5-6 discs at 44.1, unless of course they were originally recorded at 48. I guess it's more a matter of time. Surprising it isn't available right now though.

The hi-fi shop I go to had a NAD DVD/Mp3/CD player for 250 bucks the other day and I was really tempted. If I knew I could gradually switch everything to DVD and play shows that way I'd be in there in a second.