Jambands.ca

deadhead snobbery

dancingbear

so i was over at a potluck the other day and the guy who was hosting it and myself start talking dead. he says, sometimes he likes the jams (mostly live)but a lot of the time he just cant wait to hear what song is next. this point was brutally clarified when in the middle of a great eyes (i'm not sure from what show)he stops it (no fade even) and throws down a different disc. leaving the party i say to katy, ' no deadhead would cut an eyes, and she accused me of being a deadhead snob, saying everyone enjoys different parts of the song, and why should my enjoyment be 'higher'. well i see her point but still at heart think no head would cut a raging eyes short, to throw in some movie soundtrack.

what do you think, is he a head and me a snob?

Thing about the Dead is that there are so many different aspects to them. I mean, how many Dead cover bands have you seen (good ones, I mean) that sound completely different but still sound like the Dead? My brother loves the Dead as much as I do, but he's all about the folky, rootsy, Southern fried aspect of the Dead. Of course he appreciates the other aspects too, but he's more about the songwriting. On any given day he might just as easily throw on Workingman's or AB over any boot in his collection.

So what I'm trying to say is, one man's trash etc. Too bad he had to be a jerk and cut it off mid-jam though, I'm sure you wouldn't cut off Cosmic Charlie or Attics or something in the middle if somebody was digging on it.

I have had this happen many times at my parties where I seem to be one of the few who actually enjoys music that has over 30 second lyrics breaks...I have had so many ragging Phish and dead tunes turned off mid jam it would make your head spin.

One night while on tequila, someone turned off a ragging funky bitch - phish and I picked up candle and swore I would wip it at their face if they did not put that back in...and not only back in, but back to the exact same spot.

Dancin bear you lousy phish head...

Its all about the mood. Sometimes Jam, sometimes folk song. Myself, the jams are only good when you're concentrating. Ploughing into it. Not a great thing for a 'pot luck'. I mean, what do you do, stop an interesting conversation and/or debate and say "wait a sec, check out this 20 minute Eyes, Jerry just floats up and down it"

No what I mean?

You'd think the volume knob would have some important part to play in all this. I keep cautioning my daughters about that ("Don't kill that Terrapin too abruptly, or Dad will get really cranky"). When they go and hit the off button anyway, they know they're pushing my buttons. Luckily, though, they do like the jams. Hard to speak for the sort of people you might run into at parties who don't have the patience for it and get too close to the stereo.

You'd think the volume knob would have some important part to play in all this. I keep cautioning my daughters about that ("Don't kill that Terrapin too abruptly, or Dad will get really cranky"). When they go and hit the off button anyway, they know they're pushing my buttons. Luckily, though, they do like the jams.

Sounds like your home life could have all the makings of a DeadHead reality show... "Push the hippie's buttons", "Crankys on Crank" or "Dr. Evil and his Mice"...

One night while on tequila, someone turned off a ragging funky bitch - phish and I picked up candle and swore I would wip it at their face if they did not put that back in...and not only back in, but back to the exact same spot.

Yikes!! Maybe you should have put down the tequila and packed a bowl.

I've found that pretty much everybody I meet has vastly different musical tastes than I do. Occasionally I'll be surprised by wicked tunes at somebody's house. Usually I tolerate what they've got playing because I am there visiting them, not to listen to their music collection. If someone cut off tunes at my house, I'd be PISSED. At theirs... whatevah.

Anyway, the real question (IMHO) is whether you were judging him as a person because of what parts of the Dead he gets into. If you were - you're a snob. If you weren't - you're not.