Jambands.ca

jambands.ca criticism (not new-format related)

Velvet

How come, on what is argaubly Canada's premiere jamband website, the second item on the front page news is a listing of shows at Higher Ground in Vermont? Sure, I realise a sizeable handful of Canucks will be heading to those shows, but how about when some of our American friends check out the site for the first time? Below the seemingly freakish announcement of the SCI concert they are likely hitting the site for, they see the second coolest jamband thing going on in Canada is shows at Higher Ground.

Isn't that a little embarrassing?

Honestly, I think it speaks more to the homebase of this here website. Its humble origins lay what, about 3hrs from Higher Ground? It is a viable venue for many who post here. I'm sure no slight intended. If anything, it's sort of an pisser to those of us that are so far away from it (see Stone Mountain or Solargarlic for details)

Agreed somewhat... I mean higher ground gets GREAT shows, but just off the top of my head, in Montreal this weekend are:

Thursday:

Fantomas with Trevor Dunn Trio

Stephen Franke

Handsome Boy Modelling School

Ash

Friday:

Wooden Stars, Stars, Organ

Ben Lee

Saturday:

Wooden Stars, Stars, Organ

M. Ward (this guy is AWESOME)

Sunday:

Moby

Plus all the "no-name" stuff going on around town. I think we could put our heads together and get a good list of acts listed.

Good music...can be anywhere.

The biggest reason obviously is that their calendar came in and it's loaded with great shows only 1/2 hour from the Canadian Border. Another nice reason to highlight the Higher Ground is the fact that Lee from Homegrown Music runs the Higherground now, and him and HGM is a pretty big supporter of Canadian music.

Like this listing for instance :D

Well as far as I can tell, the intention of the newly formatted site is to make posting content a heck of a lot easier for Bouche and it's organized so that it's a heck of a lot easier for viewers to see everything, not just the forum. People barely noticed content posted outside the forums before.

It's taken Mike months to put this thing together and the redesign and the future of the site is all he's had on his mind. Now that the overhaul is done (and once it's tweeked to perfection) then the focus will be on WHAT is posted, rather than HOW it is posted.

The music scene is a large one, and keeping content up-to-date is nearly impossible for one person who already has such a full life to deal with. It is my understanding that Bouche has approached certain people about contributing content and news so that in the very near future you will see the type of things you are expecting to see now.

Patience people, remember this is done in the spare hours of someone's life.

And for the record, Higher Ground is a fantastic venue, booking fantastic shows and it is close enough to home to make it news worthy (that and they contribe a great deal of support to Bouche and he of course returns the favor.)

Good music...can be anywhere.

The biggest reason obviously is that their calendar came in and it's loaded with great shows only 1/2 hour from the Canadian Border. Another nice reason to highlight the Higher Ground is the fact that Lee from Homegrown Music runs the Higherground now, and him and HGM is a pretty big supporter of Canadian music.

Like this listing for instance :D

I don't have a problem with it either way but isn't Lee at Higher Ground Lee Seelig from Go Time Music, AGP's agent/manager. I thought the Lee at Homegrown Music Network is Lee Crumpton.

Anyway, i like the new look and the home page is much more inviting.

Cheers

Edited by Guest

I don't have a problem with it either way but isn't Lee at Higher Ground Lee Seelig from Go Time Music, AGP's agent/manager. I thought the Lee at Homegrown Music Network is Lee Crumpton.

Anyway, i like the new look and the home page is much more inviting.

Cheers

Whoa.... I just assumed Lee from HGM was the same Lee from Go time music.

I'm from the states, and I come here strictly for my daily (or weekly) dose of Canada. Personally, I really don't mind other stuff being advertised, but then again, I come here for more reasons than just to see what's happening in Canada... In actuality, most events in Canada aren't feasable for me unless I have LOTS of prior notice... I don't see how advertising Non-Canadian events is a detrement, as many Canadians might use this site to find out about jamband related stuff in and outside of Canada... There is lots of topic talk about non-canadian jambands, so why not non-Canadian festivals?

Just my USD$.02...

S/C

Honestly, I think it speaks more to the homebase of this here website. Its humble origins lay what, about 3hrs from Higher Ground? It is a viable venue for many who post here. I'm sure no slight intended. If anything, it's sort of an pisser to those of us that are so far away from it (see Stone Mountain or Solargarlic for details)

I agree with scottieking. I don't mind learning about bands playing across the border, but it would be nice to see some more advertizing for bands out west...but I guess part of the reason for that is because the scene isn't nearly as large over here as it is on the east side. :(

SEND US YOUR MUSICIANS!!! :)