Jambands.ca

Big Summer Classic coming to TORONTO!

Basher

Awesome news, thanks Basher. Looking more and more forward to this one, especially Umphrey's McGee. Never seen these guys, but have been digging on their Local Band Does OK live record for a month or two...

Came across an awesome show on the archive (there are so many). Feb 7 2004 at Fox Theatre in Boulder. Streaming the sucker right now, and it's kicking my ass.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=11750

While I doubt that I'll be hitting Toronto up, I'd say that when it rolls into Ottawa I'm most excited about Keller, YMSB and SCI... I'm curious to see what Umphrey's is like live (I've enjoyed quite a bit of their live stuff on CD), but I'm not one of the people that's completely sold on them yet. Some people are acting/talking like Umphrey's is the new Phish, somehow I just don't see it...

Totally agree with you Del. Saying I am not sold on Umphrey's is a huge understatement. I will give thim this one show to impress me live.

That being said, without a doubt, I am most excited to see Keller again. The 45 minute tease before the DMB suck fest last summer was definitely not enough. After that, I am excited about YMSB, who I saw briefly before a long strange trip at moe.down 2 years ago.

Hey man, I put no stock in Umphrey's as the next anything. I mean of course I'm excited about SCI and Yonder Mountain, and Keller too (though I've never seen him and don't really know what he's about, aside from the fact that he's a one-man band and an exemplary musician). I'm much more interested in Umphrey's as a prog act rather than a jam act. Granted, I haven't heard a LOT of their stuff, but on the whole there seems to be a lot more rehearsed cool shit than imporvised cool shit.

Anyway, should be a good show. The site says the acts will be rotating slots on the tour, that should make for some very distinct shows. Any idea what we're looking to pay Marky?

Are YMSB and New Monsoon actually playing TO and Ottawa? According to their respective websites they aren't scheduled up here?? :(

As well it looks like New Monsoon ran into some trouble with the law this past weekend in NC. Check out phantasytour if interested.UM is starting to grow on me a little, seen them a few times now. Definitely not for everyone though.

Toronto or Cuyahoga for us.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out about the Umphrey's... Just a vibe I've been feeling from a lot of people and places lately... I'm excited about seeing them, I just don't think they're quite as good as some people do. As for YMSB and New Monsoon, no idea. Keeping my fingers crossed for YMSB. Never really heard New Monsoon, so I'm pretty indifferent. I'd like to check them out, but it wouldn't be a big personal loss for me if they didn't make it to Ottawa. I think the the thing I'm most excited about is seeing that Ottawa is (and has been) getting some great shows. It's nice to not have to travel to see some amazing acts.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out about the Umphrey's... Just a vibe I've been feeling from a lot of people and places lately... I'm excited about seeing them, I just don't think they're quite as good as some people do.

No, I know man, no offense taken. I think if people are looking at them as a Phish descendant, though, they're missing the band's point.

If YMSB doesn't make the Toronto stop, that would be noooooo good. Hopefully that's just a webmaster oversight.

IT IS MY OPINION... that Umphrey's are 20X the band phish were. They can do things and play things phish couldn't even conceive of playing. Listen to UM's latest studio release, Anchor Drops, and then listen to any phish studio album. The differences are stark and telling. UM are simply more creative, more dynamic and far superior musicians at their respective instruments. Though UM can at times sound similar to phish, they play at a level of musicianship and group dynamic that supercedes the best phish could ever do. Who cares if they are the next phish? Umphrey's are an incredible band, and few can come near their skill.

IT IS MY OPINION... that Umphrey's are 20X the band phish were. They can do things and play things phish couldn't even conceive of playing. Listen to UM's latest studio release, Anchor Drops, and then listen to any phish studio album. The differences are stark and telling. UM are simply more creative, more dynamic and far superior musicians at their respective instruments. Though UM can at times sound similar to phish, they play at a level of musicianship and group dynamic that supercedes the best phish could ever do. Who cares if they are the next phish? Umphrey's are an incredible band, and few can come near their skill.

ha ha this post is going up on the bulletin board in the hell lunch room. just in time too, i was really getting sick of Zuul's ziggy comics