Jambands.ca

any montreal kids out there?

killerantelope

• 2 weeks later...

Mamacita,

I am by no means an authority on this.

I believe that last summer's reggae fest was the first, and from all accounts i heard it was killer.

they hold it in the old port (which is beautiful by the way) and i think they have a giant fenced off are by the water for the main stage. this means that it's hard to sneak in (tickets are pricey) and that it is super chill, and children friendly and ganja friendly, and all around friendly.

i haven't heard anything about the next installment yet though...

RL

Montreal mOntreal moNtreal!!!

woohooo..it's fun, I like it! lotsa good music you just gotta find it.. what are ya into? Quality Jazz Jam Session at Grumpy's every wednesday, and quality jazz show's for cheap every sunday. Quai Des Brumes often has cool shows (sometimes not so good shows though too.)

I know Azuris is planning a big party at Sala Rosa with Tala on May 27th, that'll be worth checking out.

Every tuesday there's great jazz at Mile End Bar too, and cover's only $3 and they got $4 or $5 pints of good beer.

and definitely don't dismiss the francophone scene there's some awesome stuff.. Chango Family, Loco Locass, Karkwa etc..

There's something for everyone here, I'll try and keep posting as I come across cool shows.

werd. bienvenue a montreal!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo man.. that's a lot of advance notice.. but I can tell you that the 24th is St. Jean Baptiste day.. basically like Quebec day, so if you want a taste of the francophone culture in Montreal head up to the parties/riots on the streets in the plateau/mileend. I'm not sure who's organising the events, but I know there's live music going on (cause i'll be playing in two acts already booked www.fattuesdaybrassband.com and www.kumpa-nia.com) and it's free.

I think the "Off Fesitival de Jazz" is going on at that time, it's a jazz festival organised by montreal jazz musicians because it's so hard for local bands to play the Jazzfest, the acts are always topnotch (okay 95% of the time), and it takes place in bars so there's no '$6 plastic cup molson only' beer regulations (www.lofffestivaldejazz.com ).

also on the 25th at andrew's pub, "Elsewhere" is playing Andrew's pub (don't know where it is, but I could find out) come say hey, I'llbe the guy playing drums. It's a straight ahead rock n' roll band with folk and jazz influences with musicians that can actually play they're instruments(but apparently don't know the difference between they're and their), a singer that actually sings, and about 10 pounds of dreadlocks. I don't think there's a cover on that one, but I'm not sure.

hope that helps, bon voyage, and see ya in montreal.

I've never been a huge fan of the place, but I guess it's an alright room. It's got a decent size stage, and is very much laid out for putting on shows, so in that respect it's good. But they don't seem to excersise any discretion when it comes to booking, so they don't ever get their own crowd in the room. It's far from a safe bet if you're looking for a night out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Montreal has a thriving music scene! It's so rich that people don't know where all the goodies are. True Azuris is a tight band, and I hear Tala is good but haven't seen them yet, but there is oh so much more! Come check out Kokoro playing with Themasses from BC and Vanderpark from Toronto opening up on sat. Sept. 10th at Le Swimming(5 adv, 7 @door). It'll be tight and we need people who are up for good stuff. I play in Kokoro and we're looking to find more and more people who like jam/groove to get down with us!

PEACE

• 9 months later...