Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest lineup!!

gentlemonkey

Del, you crack me up. I must say that when I first started seeing Spearhead on the west coast I was really diggin' it. I saw them at Wavy Gravy's farm fest and was totally down (could blame the west coast psychedelics for that too though). However, since that initial impression, I haven't been super excited about their shows. Sure, I'll go and probably shake a tail feather, but I'd much rather have UM in that time slot. Oh well. Maybe I'll see you at the snack bar/beer tent. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that saw Tortoise here in Ottawa last spring (it was on Eric Warren's b-day), Four Tet was the first opener, before Beans.

I will check out Four Tet live this weekend in CALI and let you know if there's a band with him...

hehe

AD

Hmmm... Where are the Blues? It's offical... that should be the slogan of the event. Hehe, not that it's not wicked... I just think they should make everything blue, then it doesn't just have to be about the music. BTW anyone think P-mate will be back this year? My supply ran out... just kidding... that product, is freaky, weird, and gross.

~W

Edited by Guest
I cant speel

I heard from a friend that this year's theme at Bluesfest is "Tripping at Bluesfest" I told her she was full of shit but she assured me that it was true....We had best do what they say.

Not liking the 45 minute Keller set, BOOOOOOO. And Franti Headlining???? Thats ass, Franti should be the opener not the closer. Way to drop the ball on the 5 yard line Bluesfest. You had it and you lost it.

How You feeeeelin' - Bored and annoyed

Make some noise - BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm going to commit myself to seeing String Cheese, I've invested so much time in laughing at them that I need to fuel the flames a bit. As for spearhead I was distracted by Zen Guerilla the night he was playing, long live the birdman stage whose absence is definitely felt in the lineup (not that the lineup isn't great, but it's different)

And honestly this "where's the blues?" thing that comes up every year seems so ignorant of excellent artists that are on the bill this year in particular: Sonny Landreth, John Mayall. I'm definitely not an afficionado but what is with you farts who are caught up in a name? It's not a "Bluesmusicfest" or a "12barbluesfest" or a "Ibeenpickincottonalldaybluesfest" (thanks Ghost World) so why don't you be happy for 98% of the festival goers who want to see a mix of things?

I think the name could be altered - Bouche recently told me that it can't be changed.

I think Ottawa is more of a roots & blues festival. Until recently, my hackles would get up when I saw each year's non-blues dominated line-ups. As usual, this year's line-up is ecclectic. There are some excellent blues artists booked too. Not a critique at Ottawa, but I'm resigned to the fact that blues is slowly disappearing. Hell, recently I even had a tough time finding Delta Blues in Clarksdale Mississippi.