Jambands.ca

Superstack?

TheGoodRev

Hey, just wondering if anybody has ever heard/heard of this trio from Sudbury? A friend told me a couple months ago that he knows one of the fellows in the band, and to watch out for them because I would love them. I just saw that they've been added to the Come Together lineup. Any sort of website or contact info? Jaydawg maybe? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I've seen Superstack twice - the first time being at the CTMF 3 or so years ago.

I saw them last year at the Horseshoe and talked to the drummer and bassist. I mentioned Jambands.ca and suggested that they plug their band on this site - since I liked their sound.

They seemed disinterested at the time - proved by Superstack having an almost invisible profile on this site. Maybe they don't care, or maybe they don't want to be labelled/categorized or maybe they didn't realize at the time that this site is getting bigger and more influential all the time.

Whatever, they are a good band and tons of fun to watch live. They are even more of a throwback 70's hard rock band than Bullmoose.

Whatever, I like them and they should get on board.

Edited by Guest

I thought it was Smokestack that was added to CTMF? Jaydawg?

Edit to add: Okay, just checked Smokestack's site. They are playing on Saturday from midnight on.

from what i understand, there are 2 stack's at ctmf this year, kaidy.... a smokey one and a super one.

from what i understand, there are 2 stack's at ctmf this year, kaidy.... a smokey one and a super one.

Ah haaaa, I see Mr. Guigsy. Two "stacks" eh? Very interesting. Do you know anything about the "super" one? :P

Perhaps if the CTMF site was updated... :o

Thanks Jaimoe. I find that many artists are in that same boat of 'not wanting to be labelled a jamband'. It's too bad, because I think when most contemporary artists think 'jamband', they think of Dave Matthews, or Phish, or maybe the Dead, but likely more the first two. I'm not a huge Dave fan, I dig Phish and I love the Dead, but that style of music - basically folky, centred around songwriting considered to be of high quality, and embellished with extensive instrumental improvisation - does not our entire scene make. We on the board all know this, but many don't. Too bad, because there is a place for a band like Clutch as much as a group like Thievery Corp within this community. Shame the human instinct is to categorize.

Oh well, I like rock and roll. If this band is a good rock and roll band, I will like them. Would like to have them on the radio show if they're infact any good. Thanks for the infor Jaimoe.

Superstack, at least the two times I saw them, are more akin to C'Mon than Bullmoose. " Stack " are dirtier and less polished than those two band.

Man I've been spinning that C'mon disc as often as I can on my show...love the Blurton. One of my most favourite rock and roll memories involves a 1:00am Blurtonia set at the Rivoli one NxNE...the placed was packed like I'd never seen before or since.

I think Bullmoose are great too, but I think you have to see them live to appreciate it. Jaimoe I assume you've seen them and that's how you know of them. The disc is really good, but it presents them as a little more polished than they are, but I don't mean to say that the fact that they are unpolished live is bad. Their raw live sound suits their style 100%, they really know what they're doing. Plus they've got the balls to load themselves and their gear into a van and drive across the country and back. I know other bands have done that, but not many. A quick look at their site puts them in Nelson, BC tonight, at 'The Royal on Baker'. I'm sure they're tearing it up.

they love their grand funk.

I think they're a tight band...but nobody showed up when I had em out to London and I think that few people have since discovered these guys. they've got a lot of talent - they've been playing together for years. used to be 'jesus murphy and the son of a guns'...real bellbottom rockers.

I'm thinking a 'Kings of Leon' or 'Black Keys' vibe listening to Superstack. Similar to Bullmoose, but Bullmoose are straight ahead-rock mostly... and good at it too... the Superstack guys seem more bluesy, dirtier, chunkier... that sort of stuff.

If you like bands like Humble Pie, Grand Funk, James Gang, Cream, ZZtop, Zeppelin, even a hint of Little Feat. SuperStack has seemed to master that old sound everyone is trying to replicate these days, without sounding like a cheesey rip off like Jet or Sloan. Enuff said, I think they are one of Canada's best kept secrets, maybe they should stay indie, its not cool when the industry over saturates a band.