Jambands.ca

Woman in charge at Abu Ghraib is demoted

Deeps

Link

Wondering why the headline is what it is.

It takes a lot of committment to reach the status of General.

If General Colin Powell was convicted it would read.....

``General Demoted``

not

``Man Demoted``.

Dunno ..... thought it weird.

Deeps

PS Feel free to spin off into a debate about whether or not there should have been more people convicted or any other feelings you have on this....but note the weird sexism slant.

Gee, she lost her job as a result of torturing a whole bunch of people? Poor baby.

If I took opposing counsel's client's into a back room of this office, dressed them up in funny clothes and committed sexual and violent assaults on them, I'd consider myself pretty lucky to just lose my job.

Deeps: I don't know if I agree with you about the sexism of the headline. You may be correct, but I think you are making an assumption when you suggest that if the General had been a man, it would not have said "Man in charge...". I'm not saying you're wrong, but you just can't know if you're right, and I'm not in favour of accusing people of sexism, racism, misogyny... without knowing, absolutely that this is true.

Thanks for tempering my accusatory nature.

I suppose I just think it's a pretty strange use of gender as a descriptor.

Whether it's intentioned or not as a sexist move it remains that it is unecessary in the article headline and any good journalist would avoid such angles.

The fact that the [color:purple]esteemed General's gender is included at all speaks to the journalists simplicity doesn't it?

It's not like we're looking for someone and the gender is a necessary component to the understanding of the story. At best the inclusion is superfluous I'd say.

170 pound Male signs off thread.

Take care,

Deeps