Jambands.ca

Countdown to Rolling Stones Tour Announcement!

Douglas

"Sarstock sucked... Bad lineup, bad playing, bad times... It was a good idea on paper, but then again communism is a good idea on paper..."

Ummm...Shut the fuck up.

Errr...I mean:

They shoulda booked The Slip, nero, and tND instead of The Stones, ACDC and Rush.

Then they coulda had it at the Rivoli and the lineups wouldn't have been too long.

As for the Stones playing badly...they always play badly if they haven't had two months of rehearsals. Which is a shame, but at least they finally figured that out and rehearsed for their last few tours (as I recall Sarstock was a one-off).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm...Shut the fuck up.

Errr...I mean:

They shoulda booked The Slip, nero, and tND instead of The Stones, ACDC and Rush

First of all, nero and The Slip would have made a lot less money for the SARS effort... tND - I can't stand them... As I've stated, I PERSONALLY would have hated it, and therefore am able to say that FOR ME it would have sucked. As for the "Shut the fuck up" comment... Brilliant... You come up with that yourself? Maybe I should start liking dinosaur bands so I could think that a lineup of the Stones, AC/DC and Rush is something to actually get excited about. When people say things like "AC/DC stole the show", and the Stones were on the bill, it certainly speaks volumes for the overall quality of the show... It's an opinion Velvet, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you should get offended. I mean, I dislike a lot of bands that you like, you don't see me flying off the handle about them... Relax, and enjoy your overpriced Stones tickets... Maybe they'll play one of their good songs... You know from 20 years ago when they were actually a good band...

Free or less than 20 bones per person, the event drew 500 000 people or more. I'm not sure that, in dissing the lineup you manaqed to figure out what its importance was. Fortunately you've copped to making opinionated statements later in the discussion. That added so much more weight to the ignorance.

I think Polkaroo's point is that it was NOT the lineup that was important.

The gig was put on to uplift Canada's spirits at a time that SARS and the mad cow disease were keeping us down. That was the show's importance.

... and as long as I'm posting here in this thread again, my apologies to Polkaroo, as I agree that less than 20 bucks is pretty darn close to a free show; but I had completely forgotten how little it cost (probably due to the price of my plane ticket and everything else on top of it).

I've never said there shouldn't have been a concert. All I'm saying is the lineup could have been better and the playing could have been better... A concert can still be critiqued, regardless of its intentions...

Exactly Del. All you wanna do is say who shouldn't have been on the bill (which, I think is everybody), but you can make no suggestions for how you could better the lineup in such a way as to get a half a million people to the show.

So, shut the fuck up with "all the bands suck" stuff, okay?

The organisers got some of the biggest bands playing to come to a city where lots of bands were actually cancelling their shows.

I was actually really impressed with the way Justin Timberlake handled himself at the concert. He was treated terribly by the Q-107-worshipping section of the audience, yet he never complained or waivered.

I'll always hate Justin's music, but he gained my respect that day.

So, shut the fuck up with "all the bands suck" stuff, okay?

The organisers got some of the biggest bands playing to come to a city where lots of bands were actually cancelling their shows.

Afternoon:

-Jann Arden

-Jim Belushi, Dan Aykroyd & Have Love Will Travel Revue

-Sam Roberts

-Kathleen Edwards

-La Chicane

-Tea Party

-Flaming Lips

-Sass Jordan (with special guest Jeff Healey)

-Isley Brothers

-Blue Rodeo

Evening:

-Belushi & Aykroyd

-Justin Timberlake

-The Guess Who

-Rush

-AC/DC

-Rolling Stones

Wow, those ARE some of the biggest bands playing... I mean Jann Arden, Kathleen Edwards, La Chicane, Tea Party, Sass Jordan, Isley Brothers... Damn... It sounds like all the big names were there... Sounds more like a glorified Edgefest lineup than a concert trying to draw half a million people... Let's be honest, if the Stones weren't there it probably wouldn't have topped 100,000... And by all accounts the Stones didn't play well. Sorry I don't think that this was a killer lineup, but truth be told, I wouldn't pay to see any of these bands. Were you there? Have you seen the DVD? From what I've seen, it was nothing special. I guess if you're trying to relive the 80's, seeing bands like Rush, AC/DC or the Stones might be a big deal. I hated the 80's. The lineup sucks, in my opinion. As I've stated before, I would have had a bad time, and therefore feel perfectly free to say that this event sucked... So Velvet, why don't you "shut the fuck up" and keep seeing your over the hill bands... I'll keep my opinions of what is sub-par, and you certainly aren't going to stop me from expressing them. Especially when you choose to do so in such an eloquent manner (twice).

Sarstock sucked... Bad lineup, bad playing, bad times... It was a good idea on paper, but then again communism is a good idea on paper...

Making a general statement like that with no facts whatsoever is begging to get flamed. It took an entire set of posts and another page to eventually elaborate on what that post was trying to say. :crazy: I'm sure flames and arguements can be avoided if a post is put together with more descriptive words.

"Let's be honest, if the Stones weren't there it probably wouldn't have topped 100,000"

Precisely. Sounds like a good job in the booking department, non? Isn't honesty fun?!

No, I didn't go. Why? I didn't want to be there. I sat on my butt at home.

Oh, and I will concede that the opening acts are not among the biggest bands playing, however of the six evening acts four (Stones, ACDC, Justin, Rush) are extremely high profile acts, which I think can certainly sit well in the top twenty biggest acts around, and the other two are Canadian icons.

Let's see, Del's idea of Sarsfest: No Stones, no ACDC, no Rush, no Justin, no Tea Party, no Dan Akyroyd, no Kathleen Edwards...I'm imagining a large empty field. You're right, no lineups! C'mon, let's be honest, you don't think you're being a wee bit silly?

(The Stones and ACDC at Edgefest...tee-hee)

I wish you wouldn't puss out so easily on your statements Del. That's testament to how baseless they are but I don't know why you always fall back on the "It's just my opinion" thing.

I'll submit that there's no single element of SarStock that should have changed...the lineup included the Rolling Fucking stones and thereby discounts the bitchfest directed at supporting Canadian artists. The playing of any band at any concert can always be better and I have no idea what this is being measured aginast...Slowcoaster playing Maverick's? And a crowd of over half a million people showed up and (I stand corrected on this) bought tickets.

Shit-disturbing is an art form. You're a two year-old with finger paint.

Indeed, Polkaroo... And I'd even go as far to say that it was a great move for supporting Canadian artists. When will Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, Blue Rodeo, La Chicane etc. ever play in front of 500k?

The Stones not only headlined the concert, they brought thousands of people to see new and old Canadian acts, and that is definitely a good thing.

AD

the funny thing is there aren't may acts that could have replaced the Stones on that bill, but let's say there are two of them: U2 and Bruce Springsteen. But, based on what I've gathered from before, those wouldn't have given Del much pleasure either. So, I can't really see how this event could have been pulled off succesfully with big numbers (which was the whole point) and made our friend happy and excited about it.

I think it was a classy event and the performers deserve gratitude for doing a gig they didn't really have to do, payday or no payday.

Oh, and from the comfort of my armchair, I can tell you: Justin Timberlake was surprisingly very good. No joke!

i think justin (although certainly not my cup of tea) was a solid choice. the idea was to bring international attention to the event/toronto/sars and justin argueably was then and still is one of the biggest pop stars out there.

plus his name would bring in another dimension of fans/audience members which was the point, right to raise as much cash as possible.