Jambands.ca

Live & Work in the Netherlands

shainhouse

Apparantely there is this program called the 'Working Holiday Visa Program' available to canadians which allows us to work in the Netherlands, legally, for a year. You have to get a temporary MVV (Visa) and register with the police in Holland and you're set... more info...

http://www.mfa.nl/ott/working_holiday

anybody done this before?

nice! i've looked into this program before, and it's way more than just the netherlands...japan, sweden, spain, New Zealand, the UK, Australia...the list goes on.

Canada has great standing in many countries and if it's in the EU i believe you don't need seperate work visas for each country - but if i'm wrong and you're interested you'll find out quickly.

the deal is that you can only work in one place for a maximum of 3 months...so i initially thought it'd be ideal for musicians.

european tour...hello!

serious - get over there and have enough cash on reserve and you can get a job while having a holiday.

The key would be to get a part-time/full-time job in Amsterdam for the year and travel as much as possible while I'm there... I know there are some pretty stringent limits on amounts of hours allowed for work and stuff like that, so financially, this could be an issue. I should just marry my girlfriend and get an EU passport! j/k.

I'm SERIOUSLY looking into this after I graduate a year from now... Anyone else interested? seriously?

I had a working holiday visa for Australia. Good fun if you're looking for part-time bar/resto/whatever work. However, it's not as good for more professional work (at least in Oz) because of some of teh limitations they put on the visa.

Good fun though.

An Aussie bloke I know is leaving this weekend after working in Canada for the past year teaching. The work visa thing is great, unless you happen to meet someone (as he did) and have to go back. The Canadian government would not extend his work visa. If he marries my friend he will have to wait 9 months to come back into the country and be able to work.

The one year work visa is a one shot deal (at least in Canada...I understand it is in the other places listed as well). It's a great opportunity, but my advice is to make sure you have a Plan B. Or don't wait until the last fucking minute to decide you want to stay...as this bonehead did.

I say go for it Shain! What a great opportunity to travel without haveing to be a freeloading bum. ;) I may look into something like that in the fall when I'm finished my contract. I've still got my fingers crossed for Portugal though.

Im into workin in die Nederlands...I already have a British and EU passport too...if I could go it wouldnt be too the Dam but to Haarlem...its a small fishing village on the English Channel coastline in the north of Holland...4 cafes for your smokin pleasures but without all the crowds...I learned of this town when I was living back in Scotland as a teenager...my cousin and I took the ferry from Edinburgh...cost 47 pound and takes aprrox 3- 31/2 hours depending on the weather. I HIGHLY reccomend you check this town out if you have the chance

if you're going to vacation for more than a year, go to different countries to do it.

you've gotta have it all fairly planned to pull it off right though...

When I tried to get info, the Swedish and Kiwi consulates were the nicest and most helpful. Most of the other countries didn't care to talk to me about it and acted like i wasn't worth their time. turns out that i wasn't but hey - they could've been nice about it.

check it out if you can. Rock it Mister Journalist!