Jambands.ca

Recipe Help Needed: Fried Green Tomatoes

bradm

I was out shopping last night, and they had vine-ripened tomatoes on special, so I bought some. While choosing the ones I wanted, I noticed one or two that were seriously green. On a whim (and a prayer), I bought one of the green ones, intending to try making fried green tomatoes.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: slicing them about 1/4" thick, coating in flour, then beaten egg, then seasoned breadcrumbs. After this, I'll "shallow fry" them in oil in a skillet (more oil than I usually use, but 'way less than deep frying) until golden brown.

Has anybody tried anything like this? It'll be my first experience with green tomatoes (fried or otherwise) and with the flour+egg+breadcrump frying thing, so any tips would be appreciated.

Aloha,

Brad

From epicurious.com:

2 pounds green (unripe) tomatoes (about 4 medium)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 large egg

1 tablespoon milk

5 cups cornflakes (about 6 ounces)

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

1/4 cup vegetable oil

Accompaniment: fresh tomato salsa

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cut twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices from tomatoes. In a shallow bowl whisk together flour, salt, sugar, and cayenne. In another shallow bowl whisk together egg and milk. In a third shallow bowl coarsely crush cornflakes with hands.

Working with 1 tomato slice at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess, and dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Coat slices with cornflakes, pressing them to adhere, and arrange slices in one layer on a baking sheet.

In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat until foam subsides and fry 3 tomato slices until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. (Be careful not to let cornflakes burn.) Transfer tomatoes to paper towels to drain. Fry remaining tomato slices in remaining butter and oil in same manner. On another baking sheet arrange drained tomato slices in one layer. Bake tomatoes in middle of oven until tender and hot, about 4 minutes.

Serve tomatoes topped with salsa.

Serves 4 as a first course.

My understanding is that while green tomotoes give the appearance of ripening after they're picked, they don't really ripen, they just turn red and get a little softer. So, I suspect that green tomatoes aren't particularly different from a lot of the red tomotoes we get most of year.

According to Alton ("Good Eats") Brown, if you put tomotoes in the fridge, there is a flavour compound that will simply switch off ... permanently. Ever since we stopped putting our tomatoes in the fridge, we've noticed a huge difference in flavour.

I tried what I listed above (breading + shallow frying), and the results were actually pretty good. I did about three slices (+ a sandwich = DinnerM), and had enough tomato + breading stuff leftover to do it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, everybody.

Aloha,

Brad