Alison Krauss + Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas

bONES

I prefer older bluegrass acts:

Bill Monroe And His Bluegrass Boys

Red Allen & The Kentuckians

Jimmy Martin And The Sunny Mountain Boys

Red Allen & The Osborne Brothers

etc.

I meant contemporary meaning modern... Alison Krauss & Union Station don't exactly qualify as "newgrass" in my opinion, so I consider them to be more contemporary... More along the lines of Old & In The Gray, Del McCoury Band (although they are definitely an older band, their newer stuff definitely qualifies), Seldom Scene, etc.

Some of Del's newer stuff is pretty modern, although I agree he is definitely old school... Del stands as my favorite bluegrass artist (where do you think I got my "nickname" from?).

Booche, I didn't come up with those labels, but it does help when trying to find a certain sound you're into... You can't lump every band with a bluegrass sound as simply "bluegrass"... YMSB sounds nothing like Bill Monroe, who sound nothing like Alison Krauss...

As Todd would say:

Shut the fug up.

Another brilliant reply Booche... Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously... That's genius!

Jaimoe, I hear you... Although there is some gray area there... David Grisman, for example... I have a Red Allen & The Kentuckians show from 1966-03-20 that features "Little David" Grisman... But his later stuff, particularly the David Grisman Quintet, would probably fall under the "hippie bluegrass" label... I much prefer that old school sound, although a lot of the "hippie" stuff impresses me as well...

I can't recommend Bill Monroe enough... Besides being the "Father of Bluegrass", his band was always top rate (including Flatt, Scruggs and Del McCoury) and a lot of his songs have become timeless classics (particularly Blue Moon Of Kentucky and Beauty of My Dreams)...

I like Bill alot. I've seen Ralph Stanley, Del McCoury, Ricky Skaggs, Norman Blake and Alison Krauss & Union Station in concert, but I don't follow their music in great detail. I'm too busy obsessing over other styles of music and bluegrass being one of the genres I keep my eye on.

Edited by Guest

I was being serious... My goal is to see Del McCoury before he dies... That's why I'm so excited that Alison Krauss is coming to Ottawa... I haven't seen nearly enough bluegrass, and this will hopefully be the year I get to change that...

I've also seen countless brutal bands that made me wish I was deaf and blind.

Amen brother...

My goal is to see Del McCoury before he dies...

Amen brother...

Del has many years left in him. He looks to be in good physical and mental health. However, I'd catch Ralph Stanley as soon as you can.

Edited by Guest

I have no doubt Del is in good shape... His NYE show this past year was as strong as I've heard him play in awhile... But he is getting old, and that window of opportunity is getting smaller by the day... I'm hoping to get together a small group of kids to possibly hit the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival next year... The lineup is always stellar... This year's looks amazing:

-Dry Branch Fire Squad (all four days)

-David Grisman Quintet (Fri)

-Peter Rowan's All-Star Bluegrass Jam w/Tim O'Brien, Laurie Lewis, John Cowan, Pat Flynn and Darol Anger (Sat)

-Seldom Scene (Sat)

-Sam Bush Band (Fri)

-Tim O'Brien Band (Fri)

-Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver (Thurs)

-The Del McCoury Band (Sat)

-John Cowan Band (Sat)

-Psychograss (Thurs)

-Laurie Lewis, Tom Rozum & the House Band (Sat)

-Darol Anger's Republic of Strings (Sat)

-Lonesome River Band (Thurs)

-Mountain Heart (Fri)

-The Grascals (Fri)

-Gibson Brothers (Sat)

-James King Band (Fri)

-King Wilkie (Sat)

-Bluegrass Gospel Project (Sun)

-Danny Paisley & Southern Grass (Thurs)

-The Wilders (Fri & Sun)

-Uncle Earl (Thurs, Fri & Sat)

-Adrienne Young & Little Sadie (Fri)

-Biscuit Burners (Thur/Fri)

-Slipstream (Thurs/Fri)

-Julie Lee with the New England Bluegrass Band

And at the Dance Pavilion...

-Donna The Buffalo (Sat)

-Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys (Fri & Sat)

-Girl Howdy (Fri & Sat)

-Creole Cowboy (Sat)

-Magnolia (Fri & Sat)

-John Kirk, Trish Miller & Quickstep (Th/Fr/Sat)

-Fiddlestyx (Thurs, Fri & Sat)

Plus Phenomenal Masters Workshop Artists

More Great Dance Bands

Irresistible Children's Entertainers

And many more!

hey jaimoe

Ralph Stanley made me cry when I saw him live..it was unbelievably AWESOME!!

sounds like you saw the Down From The Mountain concert a few yars ago!?!?

Emmylou Harris was also on that bill and oh SOOOOOO good :) as was the amazing Gillian Welch :) :)

sounds like you saw the Down From The Mountain concert a few yars ago!?!?

Emmylou Harris was also on that bill and oh SOOOOOO good :) as was the amazing Gillian Welch

I caught that tour when it played at the Molson Amp. I went on a whim and I'm glad I did cuz its definitely one of my favourite shows of all time!

That festival looks pretty crazy. The dates for it (July 14-17 I think) are a little problematic though, thats a busy time for us show goers! Ottawa Blues Fest is around then, so is Hillside and so is that Trey show in Toronto.