Jambands.ca

Tom Robbins appreciation thread

TomFoolery

Welcome phorbesie!

Nice to have another Robbins nut on the board. :P Oh wow! I just noticed that you're in Ottawa too. Man, just when I thought that town couldn't get any cooler. LOL Perhaps I'll see you the next time I make a trek there. I've yet to make it to that place too. There's just so much to do in that city...and it's hard to get done when you don't leave the basement in Hull. :blush:

I believe Ms. Mae was referring to bouche and Ms. Hux's place in Hull, where she spent a lot of time hanging out and partying a few weekends ago... Moonstone is nowhere near here as far as I know. Oh, and welcome to the board!

Yeah, sorry for the confusion phorbesie. I was referreing to the wonderful time I had a ways back at the Bouche/Hux digs. (Thanks for being so kind about my hibernation this time Del ;) Hehehe).

Moonstone is north of Barrie...good 'ol ski country. I've discovered that, despite the approx. 4 hour travel time from Ottawa, it can take up to 11 hours to drive home after a 3 day boil up with you capitol city folks. *shudder* Not pretty. That rager took more than my usual 45 minutes to recover from. :P

Inspired by this thread, I'm now 50 pages into Skinny Legs and All. Now I get it - a totally gifted wordsmith with powerful insight and humour. Ah! Plus he plays right into my morbid obsession with religious fanaticism. What more could I want?

Must... struggle... to... not... read... more... right... now... (as if the board weren't distraction enough).

Welcome to the fold dr. evil...

indeed. i've been hoping that you would have a go at that book, it's pretty much right up your alley :)

i picked ip Villa Incognito from my local library this week, and am sleep drprived as a result of not being able to set it down at bedtime :)

I'm about 1/4 of the way through "Another Roadside Attraction", and I'm liking it a lot. As a writer, Robbins puts together wonderful phrases, and manages to make you see, with perfect clarity, the scenes he describes. There are things in the book that make me wonder, "How did he come up with that?" (My guess is that, like a lot of writers, he keeps a notebook with him just about everywhere he goes, and writes in little bits he observes in and derives from what goes on around him.)

The writing kind of reminds me a bit of Thomas Pynchon's, but while I'm not a fan of Pynchon's work (I've read "Gravity's Rainbow", "The Crying Of Lot No. 49" and "V"; I'm going to take another stab at GR some day/week/month, but V is probably the book I've liked least, ever), Robbins hits the right rhythm for me.

I also like the way the book is structured, with short passages describing one scene, in almost chronological order, but with the odd one that comes out of left field.

Thanks for the recommendation(s), everybody; if I like his other books as much as I'm liking this one (so far), count me in as a fan.

Aloha,

Brad

Man what an amazing speech! Brilliant!

I love Tom Robbins, he's hands down my favourite author. I'd have to say Fierce Invalids, and Skinny Legs are my favourites. Man what stories and story telling!!

So happy to hear that he's got a new book coming out. Kind of surprised lately. When you look at when Roadside first came out, and take his total number of books, he's really been on a tear lately. I didn't expect him to have anything new out for at least a few years. I'm sure it'll be a good one!

BradM! As if you haven't read any Robbins! I think his stuff would be totally up your alley. I'm pretty excited for you, because you get to read all his books now! Hell I might just have to read them all again!