Jambands.ca

Are there any Arcade Fire fans in the house?

Guest Low Roller

If people are looking for analogies, here's one that fits...

What if I said I didn't like Bob Dylan because I thought that Bank of Montreal commercial was bad?

AD

Not sure whose looking for any analogies here.I know I wasn't,but being the only other person in this thread (other then Brad) who mentioned not finding a single song (not the band,not an album) very appealing,its safe to say that I am implied with this "people looking for analogies" group you speak of.Not to mention (on this board) the fact of my obvious appreciation for Dylan.

Now to answer your question,of course I can only speak for myself..

First,why would I care why you dont like Bob Dylan? Not going change a single thing about why I do like him.Certianly doesn't cause me to lose any appreciation,enjoyment out of his work etc.

If you said that & also made a comment similar to Brad's or my own about it being the only Dylan song you had heard & also that you hoped the rest was better or you'd give em a better listen,I'd have recommended an album to listen to.

Not assume you have passed judgement on Dylan's music...

Was that the Conan appearance with one member wearing a motocycle helmet with (I assume) MIDI pads that was bashed on by another member?

Motorcycle helmet, yes. MIDI pads no. The helmet was the percussion instrument.

AD

The analogy was more for Brad since he didn't find my first one to be accurate. The Dylan reference was for you, just cuz I'm interested to hear what you'll say.

And you do make a lot of sense, but I still think a listen to the whole oeuvre is important, not just a slice. I know you wouldn't care if I honestly said I didn't like Bob Dylan, but wouldn't you find me to be jumping to conclusions if I based that opinion on one viewing of a video?

And no, definitely not passing ill judgement on Bobbie. I thought his Victoria's Secret work was fabulous. :)

AD

The analogy was more for Brad since he didn't find my first one to be accurate. The Dylan reference was for you, just cuz I'm interested to hear what you'll say.

And you do make a lot of sense, but I still think a listen to the whole oeuvre is important, not just a slice. I know you wouldn't care if I honestly said I didn't like Bob Dylan, but wouldn't you find me to be jumping to conclusions if I based that opinion on one viewing of a video?

And no, definitely not passing ill judgement on Bobbie. I thought his Victoria's Secret work was fabulous. :)

AD

I fail to see where Brad or myself made any conclusive decisions about the band.Perhaps one song so far (what we have heard).And really,the song wont sound better to me if I buy their disc.

I do see where Brad & myself make mention (or imply) giving it a full listen.So I am not going to disagree with your comment about the whole " oeuvre importance",as we had already mentioned that.

I wouldn't assume your were jumping to conclusions with a Dylan comment like that if you had also mentioned a similar comment to either Brad's or mine after ogiving our opinions of one song (again,not the band,not an album) if it was the only song you had ever heard or would I assume you came to any conclusion had it also been mentioned you would give the rest a listen or hope there other tracks are better.Sounds more like inconclusions (is that a word?) to me.

I'd had recommended an album in that case.

Only conclusion (assumptions really,hence my final comment in my last post) I have read was yours about how we probally heard the song.Myself it was through my stereo (not TV speakers)with no distractions or busy with anything else & strangely enough my stereo has great sound.

As for what I have to say,do you mean about the album,the band or somthing else? I gave an honest opinion of the one song I heard but I cannot give opinion about the band or their new album based on a single track.(as mentioned in my first post).Moreless was fishing for replies like Redd's Shain's,Polaroo's or Tonberry's to give me a better idea of their music,especially with me not being a very big indie fan.Not sure how to explain it other then that.

Anyway,I was more hoping to get a better insight into this band instead of explaining my original post or justifying my opinion of a single track.

My apologys to Low_Roller here,not meaning to sidetrack your thread.

Jesus, just listen to the band. They're very good. They play lots of instruments. They are unconventional in their stage presence. The lyrics are emotional and poignant. Their arrangements are good. The singing is good, male and female, soft and loud. THe music has power behind it. The album has a loose concept of loss to it. They put on the best live show I've seen in years. The band is the definition of high energy. They're Canadian. I don't know what 'Indie' is. They don't jam or improvise. There is a big element of drama, both physical, emotional, lyrical and musical in the Arcade Fire. The 2 main singers are married. Win Butler is 6 foot 6. At Coachella he stage-dove and cleared a 6 foot gap between the audience and the stage. Violins, accordians, upright basses, xylophones, helmets, the stage itself, each other are used as instruments in the show. I have not read a bad review of their show or their CD ever, and I read a lot. They are for real.

I think that is an accurate description.

AD

Jesus, just listen to the band.

[color:purple]What a great arguement... That makes me want to listen to them even more. Esau already said he was willing to hear the album, so what are you getting at?

They play lots of instruments. They're Canadian. I don't know what 'Indie' is. The 2 main singers are married. Win Butler is 6 foot 6. At Coachella he stage-dove and cleared a 6 foot gap between the audience and the stage.

None of these reasons are relevant to their music either... A lot of bands play a lot of instruments, it doesn't make them good. The fact that they're Canadian is entirely irrelevant - there's a lot of shitty Canadian bands out there. Who cares if people in the band are married, or if their lead singer is 6 foot 6? And what does a one time stage antic at a concert none of us saw (besides you) have to do with how they sound? AD, your post did nothing to convince anyone who doesn't like them to give them a try. Esau was looking for information about the music, not why AD says people had better like them...

Well it was a better description than 'That band sucks.' I don't even think I could have written that, you've pretty much trademarked it Del.

How do you want me to describe the music?

Some of it is mellow, some of it is dancey, some is dense and heavy. You could have infered this all from my and other people's comments. Or better yet, just listen to the CD...

You obviously don't like what I'm writing about it, so why not go straight to the source and hear for yourself? Or even better, you said you had heard the band I think, why don't you try describing the music?

It's nice that you're willing to speak up though, thanks for also contributing nothing.

Here's a review of the album from a professional writer. I don't want to write about music anymore, it's counterproductive for me. It's much easier to just listen to it.

The liner notes to this exceptional debut from the Arcade Fire refer to the recent deaths of several family members -- which explains why Funeral aches with elegiac intensity. Chilly imagery from this indie-rock band's native Montreal dominates the album: Characters stumble through the snow, shivering, to meet between their houses while their "parents are crying." "Crown of Love" builds from a mournful waltz to a bustle of choppy violin strokes as singer Win Butler pleads, "If you still want me/Please forgive me." Amid all the loss and breakups, the Arcade Fire manage to also be strangely joyous: Songs such as "Wake Up," which features a choir of voices and a fierce rhythmic stomp, burst with catharsis. The band could have gone for a less direct title, but even then it would have been crystal clear: Funeral captures the agony and even ecstasy of surviving death all around you.

JENNY ELISCU

(Posted Dec 09, 2004)

If you're going to get upset that I say a band sucks (which I can't say about the Arcade Fire, because I think they're pretty good), then I can call you out for adding a bunch of frivolous points about a band in your defence of them...

Why should anyone? Because you say to? I may have said a band sucks on a few occasions, but I would never try to act like people had better agree with me...

I was just saying that there are better ways to express an opinion when people are asking for information about a band... If you're going to come down on me for not backing up my opinions then be prepared to be called out when what you're saying is basically a lot of irrelevant fluff. I'm pretty sure nobody heard that the lead singer was 6 foot 6 and said "Well now I HAVE to hear this band...". It has nothing to do with the Arcade Fire's sound or what may or may not be a reason for someone to check them out.

I'll go back to contributing nothing, and wait for you to tell me what I should be listening to...

well, if you're gonna pick and choose what to read...

They are unconventional in their stage presence. The lyrics are emotional and poignant. Their arrangements are good. The singing is good, male and female, soft and loud. THe music has power behind it. The album has a loose concept of loss to it. They put on the best live show I've seen in years. The band is the definition of high energy

thats all the stuff about the music that comes in between

They play lots of instruments. They're Canadian.

as you quoted him.

As mentioned in my original post (and those thereafter) that seems to have gone overlooked by ya.

I will however give em a better listen if I happen to be at someones house who has one of the CDs mentioned in this thread,seems alot of folks here also like em & alot I have similar musical tastes with.

Best anyones going get from me.

Was that the Conan appearance with one member wearing a motocycle helmet with (I assume) MIDI pads that was bashed on by another member? Because I also did not like that, at all; "much sound and fury signifying nothing" was the phrase that came to mind.

Yeah Brad that was them. I am a fan of The Arcade Fire and I think they have a really really good live show. BUT I must admit that this one aspect of the show that you mention, I could do without after a while. Those two guys who sort of beat on each other and collapse onto each other throughout the show. I see what they are going for but I think sometimes theres already enough going on onstage, and also it doesn't work in certain show contexts (eg. if the show is too big, or outdoors).

Well then. To paraphrase "Jesus, just listen to the band:"

My point is... Whose opinion does one trust above all others? Usually it's their own. So what good is asking someone else when really the only way you'll know if you like something is if you hear it? I like the Arcade Fire, I think other people will like them too if they listen to the band. Who cares what I write about a band, or what Del writes about me writing about a band, or what other frivolity I bring to the internet... If you wanna know what a band sounds like for real, put on the headphones and press play. Easy as pie.

I thought this point would be fairly obvious to most.

Anything you want me to clear up Del? You've said you like the Arcade Fire... Could you describe what you like about the Arcade Fire and the music they play? As you've so correctly pointed out, that's what the thread is about. Now we are back on track I hope.

AD

(I'm not upset that you say that bands suck, Del. I don't get 'upset' about anything you write, I think it's hilarious, and a lame argument for anything. And over-used. You give yourself too much credit.)