Jambands.ca

THE STORY OF THE SKANC (interactive thread)

StoneMtn

Okay, I’ve come up with an idea, and I hope it catches on.

It seems to me there are some intelligent, talented people on this board. It also appears that many of you have some time on your hands that you wouldn’t mind using to type into a computer; as long as it is nothing work-related.

Well, I thought it was time to harness some of this energy and talent, and I came up with an idea: I want to write a chain-story/novel, written by all the Skancs. I have written the first part of Chapter 1, below, and I want everyone interested to participate by continuing the story.

Here are the rules:

1. You have to read and stay up to date on what is happening in the story, in order to add to it. You can then add anything you want, as long as it fits with the story and characters. You can randomly add characters or story-lines; again, as long as it fits with what has come before.

2. Chapters can be as long or as short as necessary, and can end at any time. If you want to end a chapter, you just start a new one, and that is done by skipping down a line and typing (in bold and capitals) the number of the new chapter, and the title of the new chapter.

3. The story can end at any time. If someone feels that the story has gone on long enough, and knows of a perfect ending, just type it in. If, however, someone else thinks that the story really isn’t over, they might just continue the story, and add a whole new chapter.

4. You are NOT ALLOWED to type “The End” at any time. (It is simply unprofessional and lame.) Besides, no one owns this story, so you might think it just ended, but find out later that the story has a long way to go after someone else continues it.

5. The story can be about anything at all, and it can evolve in any direction that seems appropriate. It can be funny, action-packed, sexy, scary…

Alright, my next post will begin this story. (I hope this catches on, or else I’m going to look like quite a loser; but anyway here we go…)

- SM

THE STORY OF THE SKANC – BY THE SKANCTUARIANS, 2005

CHAPTER 1: THAT HOUSE

Todd was standing with the bright red door behind him, facing the residential street. He removed his sunglasses, which he had put on out of habit as he walked outside, as he came to realize the city was engulfed in a cloudy, grey haze. This was the norm for this city this time of year.

Todd couldn’t believe he had just been inside that house! Having grown up in this neighbourhood, he’d heard rumours about that place, and even knew one guy who claimed to have been inside, but this was the first time that Todd really knew what went on in there.

Todd looked to his left and then to his right. He was very surprised to see Darcy walking down the sidewalk in his direction. He thought about the long, tangled relationship he and Darcy had had in the past.

He called out, “Hey, is that Darcy? I thought you moved out to the boonies!”

“Hey Todd! Ya, I’m still livin’ out there; playin’ ‘hick’ for awhile. I’m just in town to be interviewed for a job, and then I’m runnin’ right back outta this city. The job is located up in my ‘neck-o’-the-woods’, but apparently the head office is in someone’s home on this street. Hey, you weren’t just inside that house were you? I’ve never actually known anyone to go in there. I remember Mikey claimed to have gone inside once, but I never believed it. What are you carryin’ there? I mean, I can see what it is, but since when did you start playin’ tenor sax?”

give us some time to think, mang! if this is going to be the best story ever, we need time to get stoned, put pen to paper, forget what we were doing, then stumble across said paper, try to remember what the hell it all meant, come back to the board, see this thread and say "ohhhhh, fuck, that was it!" - this kinda thing could take days, man.

;)

...........continuation................

"A what? You know, I didnt even realize I was carrying this thing. For some reason, I was just inside of *that* house. You know when you wake up from a dream, you can recall everything that just happened in it for about 30 seconds, but then you slowly begin to forget it all? Well, that is happening to me as we speak."

Darcy, understandably confused, asked him "Tell me what you do remember?"

"An aquariam with strange lights and lots of plants. There was a large bookshelf with one book on it, and an old 8 track player beside it and one of those phonograph players beside that. I felt like I couldnt find my shoes and was looking for them, but when I came outside, they were on my feet."

"Was there anyone inside?"

"Yes, but I cant seem to make out their faces. Its like they had masks on, but it feels like they werent wearing masks. I honestly dont know how I got in there in the first place or how long I was there, but at one point, I did know."

Just then, Darcy's cell phone began to ring.

Awesome! I feel vindicated now that there's some interest, and I am particularly complimented that I managed to get a first post out of someone with this thread.

Okay, to keep things moving, I am going to recap the story thus far, so that it can be easily continued. (I like where this is going so far, though, and I'm still waiting to find out if "Darcy" is male or female...)

So, the story so far...

Todd was standing with the bright red door behind him, facing the residential street. He removed his sunglasses, which he had put on out of habit as he walked outside, as he came to realize the city was engulfed in a cloudy, grey haze. This was the norm for this city this time of year.

Todd couldn’t believe he had just been inside that house! Having grown up in this neighbourhood, he’d heard rumours about that place, and even knew one guy who claimed to have been inside, but this was the first time that Todd really knew what went on in there.

Todd looked to his left and then to his right. He was very surprised to see Darcy walking down the sidewalk in his direction. He thought about the long, tangled relationship he and Darcy had had in the past.

“Hey Todd! Ya, I’m still livin’ out there; playin’ ‘hick’ for awhile. I’m just in town to be interviewed for a job, and then I’m runnin’ right back outta this city. The job is located up in my ‘neck-o’-the-woods’, but apparently the head office is in someone’s home on this street. Hey, you weren’t just inside that house were you? I’ve never actually known anyone to go in there. I remember Mikey claimed to have gone inside once, but I never believed it. What are you carryin’ there? I mean, I can see what it is, but since when did you start playin’ tenor sax?”

"A what? You know, I didnt even realize I was carrying this thing. For some reason, I was just inside of *that* house. You know when you wake up from a dream, you can recall everything that just happened in it for about 30 seconds, but then you slowly begin to forget it all? Well, that is happening to me as we speak."

"An aquariam with strange lights and lots of plants. There was a large bookshelf with one book on it, and an old 8 track player beside it and one of those phonograph players beside that. I felt like I couldnt find my shoes and was looking for them, but when I came outside, they were on my feet."

"Yes, but I cant seem to make out their faces. Its like they had masks on, but it feels like they werent wearing masks. I honestly dont know how I got in there in the first place or how long I was there, but at one point, I did know."

"Hello?" said Darcy.

"mmmm, hellooooooooooooooo..." said the voice on the other end... Sexily.

Awesome! I feel vindicated now that there's some interest, and I am particularly complimented that I managed to get a first post out of someone with this thread.

Okay, to keep things moving, I am going to recap the story thus far, so that it can be easily continued. (I like where this is going so far, though, and I'm still waiting to find out if "Darcy" is male or female...)

So, the story so far...

"Hello?" said Darcy.

"mmmm, hellooooooooooooooo..." said the voice on the other end... Sexily.

"Todd it's for you."

Todd moves the brown envelope from under his right arm to fit in the hand holding his Tenor Sax. He grabs the phone cautiously from Darcy's hand and puts it to his ear.

"Hey glad I caught you. I need you to sit in with me tonight. We go on at 11:00pm and we're playing at the Swanky Skank."

"Alright I'll be there @ 9:00 for sound check", says Todd and hands the phone back to Darcy.

"Hello, hello?", eyes moving from the sidewalk to the phone and now back to Todd. "She hung up Todd. What's going on here?"

"I've gotta gig tonight at the Swanky Skank with her. Maybe I'll see you there brother!"

Todd heads off down the street and Darcy wonders how much he risks if he goes through that red door. Todd has always been a little "artsy", he spent some time in the drama club in highschool, but he seemed even weirder to Darcy now.

Darcy confirms the address one more time and unfortunately for him, he's in the right place.

CHAPTER TWO: GIG

Todd woke up. "Why is it so hot in here? Where am I anyway?"

Todd thought about that morning; or what little of it he could remember, anyway. He recalled seeing Darcy for the first time in ages. He remembered getting a call on Darcy's phone. "That doesn't even make any sense! How could someone call me on his phone? I haven't seen the guy in, like, forever. Where was I when that happened? My memory is terrible these days. Where the hell did I get this saxophone?"

Todd then realized that he'd been sleeping on a particularly hard surface. It suddenly dawned on him why it was so damn hot. He was sleeping in a sauna.

As Todd moved, he heard a crumpling coming sound from his pocket. He pulled out a brown envelope with a scrawl on it. It appeared to be Todd's own handwriting, but the ink had smudged from the steam of the sauna. Todd could barely make out the words: "GIG. 9 O'CLOCK. SKANK."

Todd now turned his attention to the clock that was visible through the sauna window. 8:33.

He new "Skank" had to mean the Swanky Skank and that if he left now he'd only be 1/2 an hour late; if it was the same day.

Emerging from the sauna's putrid heat he realizes that he is soaked in sweat.

He rampages the nearest open locker and finds a 3 piece suit. Paisley and corduroy from head to toe. It was going to be a hot night under the stage lights, but at least he had relief from the incredibly short length of the pants on his 6"2 frame.

He grabbed his sax, pushed open the emergency door, set off the alarm, and ran for the train station. There was a downtrain train leaving @ 8:45.

His feet and heartbeat seem to match eachother's pace as he heads up the street. Todd reaches into his paisley vest pocket and finds exact train fair and roughly $400.00 in a monogrammed money clip that reads Davis.

He hears the train coming down down the line.

Edited by Guest

"that'll be thirty dollars", there was silence and the cashier looked to be loosing her patience. "Sir, In case you have not noticed there is a large line..that is... as i speak getting LARGER behind you...so if you would not mind thirty dollars please!".

The man in front of the cashier continued to root through his seeemingly empty pockets with little success. "Fuck it, your gonna have too put this shit back on the shelf, I apparently spaced my cash somewhere...I'll be back".

The cashier glanced briefly at the man (as to show her disgust with the situation), and quickly signalled the bag boy at the end of the counter to clean the mess of unpurchased items up.

The long line of customers behind finally began to move again.

"Jesus, Davis...where would you have put the money?" It was not uncommon for Jeffrey Davis to loose money and or to refer to himself in the third person when visibly upset. "400 hundred dollars Davis, this is not like you...I mean 20 sure, but fucking 400?"

The last few nights had been busy, between gigging and working, and generally making his way around town, Davis could have left the money anywhere.

Todd turned and began watching the little grocery-kiosk (more of a hole-in-the-wall at the train station that sold convenience items to commuters on their way to and from the train) and was flabberghasted at the scene he saw.

Here was this guy, calling himself "Jeffrey Davis" rifling through his pockets at the front of a long line of impatient commuters who were waiting to pay for their gum and newspapers. Davis was dressed in a crazy suit made of corduroy with paisley patches on the elbows; which was strikingly similar to the 'borrowed' suit Todd was wearing (although a different colour). Davis was obviously dressed to play, which was apparent as he was carrying a french horn.

Todd heard Davis mutter something about being "late" and the Swanky Skank and "gonna lose this gig, dammit!"

"Could this be the same "Davis" who rightfully owns this suit?", Todd thought.

Todd shook his head and silently screamed within his own mind, "What the hell is going on today? I think I'm losing it! I feel like I'm on that old show with Rod Serling!"

(As per the instructions beginning this thread, it is prohibited to type "The end.". Due to his breach of the rules, and despite his childish attempt to ruin this thread and story, I encourage everyone to ignore Lazlo's post and continue on...)

As Davis turned, ready to retrace his steps, he noticed a guy across the station giving him a look.

Davis felt as though he knew this guy, but from where? And as if this sudden memory loss wasn't enough, the suit he was wearing looked exactly like a suit he has forgotten at Darcy's last week.

CHAPTER 3: DARCY

It was 9:15 pm and Darcy was on a city bus. He felt as though he'd been in a daze or fugue for much of the day, and could only remember bits and pieces. The only thing he knew for sure (although it wasn't truly a memory; more of a feeling) was that he was supposed to be at the Swanky Skank that night. This bus should get him there within the next half hour or so.

(He also had a vague memory of a bright red door, which gave him a creepy feeling in the pit of his stomach.)

Darcy passed through the doors of the Swanky Skank but before he could let his eyes adjust to the dim interior he was being greeted by a tall female figure.

"Hey baby. I had an incredible time last night. I know you told me not to come here, but I just couldn't stay away."

Darcy searched his memory for a name to go with this face. But came up empty. Slightly panicked he brushed her off.

"Listen doll, I really have to get set up for sound check. Can we chat later?"

Who the hell was she and what did he get up to last night?

As he approached the stage, his cell phone rang. On the other end of the line was Todd. "Man I haven't seen or heard from you in years, and now it's twice in 2 days. What's up?"

Todd sounded out of breath on the other end of the line "Listen, have weird things been happening to you resently? I need to talk to you! Stay at the Skank and I'll be there in an hour."

Darcy went looking to find the manager and figure out where he should be and when. The bar was relatively empty, but was set up in 7 different connected rooms that all fan off of a single larger area. Darcy roamed around looking for whoever was in charge, when he heard a soft, sultry woman's voice from behind him. "Darcy?" said the voice........sexily.

Darcy turned around to face a woman of about 55 years of age. She was 5 ft. 1 inch tall, and must have weighed 200 lbs. Her hair was dark brown and tousled. She wore far too much makeup. She smelled faintly of old cheddar cheese. In short, she was the most repugnant person Darcy had ever come across; of either gender.

"Listen cheese lady! I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I've gotta go my friend's waiting on me.", said Darcy pointing in Todd's direction.

"Well you tell your friend that he can go to hell too you little weasel."

[color:purple]"Yah I'll get right on that", said Darcy.

Darcy and Todd meet in the centre room and realize they are wearing the same suit.

"I went and saw our friend behind the red door and she gave me this trumpet Todd. Do you have any idea who that was?"

"No. She kept muttering something about Coltrane's ghost and how music was dying because Jazz continued to be played in stuffy high end clubs to snobby no-minds."

"She said the same to me Todd. I can't say I disagreed with her."

"Yeah me neither.", said Todd.

Looking at Darcy's battered horn Todd asks, "are you gonna play that thing with me tonight or just stand there?"

"That old girl behind the red door gave you chops too Todd?"

"Sure did."

"Listen Todd, you see that Humpty Dumpty looking dame over there with that sour look on her face."

"Yeah", Todd replied.

"Well she's got it in for us. Saying something about us doing her wrong or something. She sounds like the woman who called you on my phone earlier today."

"I'm gonna throw myself in there and deal with this mean ol girl. I'll see what's up with her", Todd said fearlessly.

Before he could take a step toward her a spot light fell on both he and Darcy.

"Ladies and Gents we got a gotta couple of players here who neeeeed to make their rent. Please welcome to the Swanky Skank stage The Red Door Players!", blurted the loudspeaker.

The lights went up and down quickly, just enough time for Todd and Darcy to rotate once around. Each hallway eminating from where they stood layed wood toward at least 200 people. Like it or not, ready or ill-pepared the Red Door Players were going to play to a packed house of about 1400 tonight.

There would be no sound check it was time to play.

Todd and Darcy, now faced eachother and in eachother's eyes was a confidence that would lead them directly to the same piece of music.

The first note hit Darcy's ears and he knew that they were going to play the hell out of Coltrane's "Central Park West".