Jambands.ca

Kevin Breit and Sisters Euclid rollcall AND Countdown!

bouche

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring it on, c'o'p (a taping cop?), it'll be lassos made out of 15' XLR cables at 5 paces... ;)

(For the record, no disrespect was intended: what you do with/for Breit/Sisters music is invaluable. The "it" I referred to in the "record it successfully" phrase meant that song, specifically. And the "successfully" part meant that, even if they played it, and even if I was taping it, the recording might not come out well for things like my occasional incompetence, or equipment failure, or chatter, or whatever.)

Aloha,

Brad

I'll be at the show!

randy:

Main Entry: randy

Pronunciation: 'ran-dE

Function: adjective

Etymology: probably from obsolete rand to rant

1 chiefly Scottish : having a coarse manner

2 : LUSTFUL, LECHEROUS

Main Entry: randy

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural rand·ies

chiefly Scottish : a scolding or dissolute woman

After reading the definition for the noun, why would parents call a son Randy, or even a daughter?

The randies feel randy when in the company of Randy.

Baby the mustache on your avatar makes me randy.

Sorry to get off topic. The Sisters Euclid make me randy as well.

and speaking of 'randy'.... (the FIRST defintiion of course, thanks Cosmic ChrisC), is it any wonder I'm still so hot for this man of my life...?

...what a fantastic musical experience it is - that is, unless you happen not to like Hammond B3s played with panache, meticulous and complex rhythm, bass with grooves that can move your marrow, and a guitarist who is so deep into his playing he pulls you right out the other side. So if you don't like any of that, it'll probably suck.

whatta description, baby!

can NOT wait to meet up with all y'all O-towners. Mike and Sharon, be sure to introduce me to those I haven't yet suitably made an ass of myself in front of yet!!!

TWO MORE SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember folks, it's all about the "PO"...

Giggles knows what I speak of....

It is indeed my dear friend...but their not THAT lucky. Jeezus their city is a Kevin virgin city and many of those in attendance will be Kevin virgins...a "PO" would distroy them for all eternity! They would have no choice but to cut off their ears so not to hear others that would sound as if they were pissing in their ears...

YES!!! It is all about the "PO"...but their just not that lucky...or they'd better hope their not...

Gawpo Giggles }:| }:| }:|

I have a confession: Breit & SE's music hasn't really got to me...until now. I've been listening to 2005-05-23, and I'm officially hooked. The stuff I'd listened to before sounded good to my ears, but hadn't really reeled me in. This show has liquified my cerebral cortex. I'm hearing a bit of The Slip*, a bit of MMW, a bit of roots-rock, immense grooves, and a kind of "darkness" that I hadn't heard (or appreciated) before.

Before this, I usually told people that Breit was immensely respected and liked by people whose musical opinion I trusted (people like Velvet and bouche, for example); I can now tell them that I am a Fan.

One more get-up to go!

Aloha,

Brad

* Del, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion on this.

As I've been listening to the show, I have a couple of questions I hope someone who's seen the band a bunch of times can answer.

First, how loud is their show, typically? I ask because at Mavericks I usually run my mics (Oktava MC-012s) with the -10db pads installed (shows at Mavericks can get pretty loud, as anyone who was at GTB 2005-05-15 can attest), but taking them out can yield a bit more clarity (though possibly at the expense of a bit more noticable crowd chatter). The problem is that installing or removing the pads involves taking the mics apart (the pads get screwed in between the capsule and the body of the mic), so I really need to do it before the show or between sets; even a song break isn't long enough to swap them in or out.

Second, does the band usually use a set list? If not, will there be anybody there who could help with one?

Aloha,

Brad

I guess I'll field this one for you Brad. Yes, the Sisters play with considerable volume. I use a stereo compressor between my pre-amps with a slow attack using a ratio of approx 3:1 and only compress 1-2 dB just to smooth things out. This helps me hit DAT at about -4 without worrying about digital clipping.

Watch out for Two Miles as I usually tug the record setting down a bit as this always goes through the roof.

The music is absolutely soul shaking but, as we all know, it's also seeing the performance that helps bring it home. If you're a fan now, wait until you see The Sisters shake it.

As for set lists, I've never seen one. I'm sure you'll get a Tumbleweed Tea, Two Miles but after that anything goes. Maybe you'll get a Parkdale Symphony, Brohemia, Mall Full of Toads, Po, but whatever they play, you're gonna have fun...

I'm trying my best to get up to Ottawa but working through a pile of editing and hoping that nothing walks in the door before now and tomorrow...

Thanks, can. My usual position for the mics at Mavericks is about 15' from the front of the stage, so I'll leave the pads in; I took them out for Mr. Somethng Something on Saturday, as they're not that loud a band (their tenor player recognized the mics I was using, as he uses them as well, and recommended I take the pads out), and I was several 10s of feet back, and I found the kick drum would occasionally trip the "peak" LED on my mixer. I've taken them out for acoustic shows, and it helps, but I'd rather leave them in and boost the levels if it's too quiet than have them out and find I need them once the sound starts.

Aloha,

Brad

It depends on the sound man. If it's the guy I hope it'll be, then yes (he's offered to patch me in whenever I want/need it, provided the band is OK with it), but aberg83 and I tried it (we wanted to do SBD+AUD matrix for BNB 2005-05-28), with his Nomad running off the board, and the board source wasn't very/any good.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

Well, here's hoping they have a good sound guy. Kevin is usually very accomodating when it comes to taping/board feed as the cleaner the better as long as he ends up with a copy.

If I'm there I'll be hoping to get a board feed and I use my MD for the Aud to blend in for Amb/ etc. Works great.

Thanks for the info Brad.

Well, here's hoping they have a good sound guy. Kevin is usually very accomodating when it comes to taping/board feed as the cleaner the better as long as he ends up with a copy.

If aberg83 makes it out, we might do what we did for GTB 2005-03-29, which a stage+AUD matrix. I ran my mics on the stage, he ran his in the audience (where I usually set up), and I transferred my source from my Nomad to his after the set(s) (he has the right cable; transferring takes about 10 minutes for a set), and he matrixed them after the fact (the ultimate mix was about 50% of each source).

This setup can work really well, provided the stage is laid out so that the mics don't get a lot of the monitor mix (which is true for GTB, as their stage plot doesn't have a monitor at the front-centre of the stage). I'll be bringing my small mic stand, so if the stage is OK (and the band is OK with it), this might work pretty well.

Aloha,

Brad

yeah, our Xpress ad came out today and I'm really stoked now. The show is as real as it can get now!

I'm picking up a Tascam DP-01FX (hopefully today) from Lauzon's Music and a couple of mic things. Out of Curiousity, would that type of thing be able to plug into the board and record, or even just piggy back off of someone? I have no intention to do this, but I need to learn what the hell this thing can do.

Most boards use either XLR, 1/4", or RCA outs for hooking up recorders, so you'd need a pair of XLR cables (though you might have problems with levels, if your XLR ins assume mix as opposed to line level), a pair of 1/4" cables, or the right combination of adaptors; it really depends more on what kind of inputs you want to use on the recorder.

For smaller boards (including mine, the Behringer UB1002, you're looking at a pair of RCA jacks and/or a pair of 1/4" jacks.

What kind of mics are you getting?

Aloha,

Brad