Jambands.ca

Spades, Travis Good & Greg Keelor

DevO

On Thursday, The Spades kicked off the first of five weekly Thursday shows at The White House in Peterborough for the month of June. I got in late (into 3rd set) but I was psyched to see Travis Good (tall, freaky looking guy in The Sadies) and Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo) on stage! They sounded great together, no one stepping on anyone's toes and everyone having a great time. Keelor was really getting a kick out of James McKenty's guitar, and Travis Good was all smiles as well. The music was heavy on the jamming, including some extensions in spots that I don't think have ever really happened before. Possibly the best Spades set I've ever seen!

According to James McKenty's road diary on their website, theres more to it than that though! Apparently Travis Good + The Spades = a new band called Travis Good & The Rising Sons. Thats when The Spades are backing Good, and they did this for all 2nd set that night at the Whitehouse. I only saw 3rd set, which Good and Keelor joined them for anyway.

Here's what James wrote about the Whitehouse show:

Oh what fun to laugh and sing the rising sons tonight. If we made a list of our top 5 nights this would definately be among them. The gig started out with the patented JMATS open for themselves set. This led us into the first ever full on Travis Good and the Rising Sons show that featured Travis, the Spades, and the one and only Greg Keelor. And if that wasn't enough, when we went back up for the closing set, Greg and Travis came too. They chased the dragon with us into some pretty wicked jams. Too many to count. "it don't run in the family it runs inside their blood".

guigsy, a couple of weeks ago, the Spades did a show at the Aron Theatre in Campbellford (Mooose & I were there). Travis and the boys (The Rising Sons???) opened with a really cool set, but for me the highlight came during The Spades' set when Travis rejoined them and they launched into a version of Neil Young's Powder Finger that absolutely shook the place! you would have loved it, man!

"look out mama there's a white boat comin' up the river"

damn.

yes, i most certainly would have loved that!

i'm glad you and the mooooooooose got to bask in all it's glory...

where is campbellford, by the way? i dont imagine it's anywhere near london, which, incidentally, is where they need to come play! :)

I think they did Powderfinger at the Whitehouse too, not sure though. Dr. J, you think Travis Good will show up again this Thursday? His shows with Jon Spencer and The Sadies start on Friday in Kitchener, which I guess makes it a possibility. But I guess maybe its more likely that they'll be having band practice with Jon Spencer.

Dr. J, you think Travis Good will show up again this Thursday?

Not sure about Thursday, KevO. If I hear anything I'll pass it on.

Will also be interesting to see what happens @ the Horse Shoe Saturday night since the Spades and Sadies are both on the bill.

I know The Spades are about to announce the dates for a tour of western Canada. Don't know if there's anything in the works beforehand for London. Will keep you posted guigs.

Always glad to share what i don't know :)

i heart travis good

those were both great shows... lots of overlap in the set lists, but night and day as far as venue and vibe... campbellford was in a movie theatre - great space for chillin with a pint, a good show with many moments of pure beautiful essence of rock, but not as together overall as the whitehouse show.

how 'bout that white house, eh?! :crazy:

kevO i think you said it - we are freakin lucky to have such awesome music happening here in peterborough. that was a great show. $5. a stumble from my door. does it get any better?

campbellford was only a half hour or something from the pdot - just south of the 7 - definitely worth the trip - it was a beautiful drive. a kinda weird venue for live music - probably best suited to more chill shows - i was confused at the seated-ness of everyone when i first got there, but i got into it no trouble. i met a good group of locals too... good times